Heart Disease Expert Forum
Aortic regurgitation
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Aortic regurgitation

Thank you for taking my question. I am a 55 yo male that had CABG one year ago for blockage of LAD. I had none of the big 5 risk factors but have since found that I had high homocysteine, now somewhat reduced by folic acid and B6 & B12. Have been and continue to be a high mileage runner and cyclist. In a recent visit with a new cardio, I was found to have a previously undetected heart murmur. Echo showed it to come from mild regurgitation of the Aortic valve due to some schlerosis or thicknening of the leaflets. The cardio was not unduly concerned, but I find it very troubling that this would show up "out of the blue" one year after surgery. I wonder whether medications could be involved (Altace, Pravachol, Nexium, aspirin) or my supplements (magnesium, Co-enzyme Q10). In reading the studies looking at the old Phen-fen controversy, the incidence of idiopathic aortic regurgitation among thousands of people receiving placebos was virtually zero.
   In a possibly related observation, I have been annoyed for the last several months by a wisping sound as I try to sleep from the pulse in my neck rasping against the pillow. I decided to take a "vacation" from the Altace this week due to excessive perspiration I was experiencing while exercising and found that the noise on my pillow has gone away (as has the sweating). I have been on 5 mg Altace for the last 6 months but asked the cardio to increase it to 10 mg two weeks ago thinking lower BP would be better if I could tolerate it.