Heart Disease Community
Aortic replacement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Aortic replacement

My wife (55), has recenlty discovered one of her heart valves is a bi-cuspid instead of a tri-cuspid. Along with this she has been told her ascending aorta is 5cm in diameter and will need surgical intervention. - we both understand the seriousness of this. - What sort of post operative changes will we need to be aware of? What can we expect the replacement aorta to be made of? What are the recovery rates? - should I prepare myself for the worst. (I don't want to worry her with these details).
She already has hypertension - will this be a major concern for the succes of the surgery.
I expect she will have memory loss and I am already preparing recent and past photos of us and family to assist in her recovery. (My brother had heart valve surgery 10 years ago and post-op lost 20years of memory).- what causes the memory loss in post-op heart surgery?

Sorry to hear your wife is dealing with valve disease.  There is a great website for "valvers."  Search on valve replacement and look for the site with the same name.

The memory loss usually a result of being on the bypass machine.  I believe the longer you are on the machine, the greater the likelihood for some memory loss.  Lots of people on the VR website will be able to tell you about their experiences, etc.  This site is great for cardiac issues, but the VR site is specific to valve concerns, surgery or otherwise.  Check out both sites; they each offer a valuable service and loads of information and support.

Good luck and keep us posted.

connie
Your wife should be in good hands with the Doctors.  Have they given her the choice of the type of valve she can get, ( a pig verses an artifical )?  With an afrtifical, she will have to be on coumadin for the rest of her life, some thing to disuss with her doctors.  As far as the memory loss, this is true, I had both Mitral & Aortic, my memory loss was severe, however, mine took place in 1999 and to this day I still have a lot of memory loss.  This really bothers me, and I can only sugest to you to be suportive and do not correct her, as my husband had to learn, he eventually started new memories with me and next month we cellabrate our 19th.
GOD BLESS and GOOD LUCK
Becky
Thanks for you first hand info. this is invaluable to me. I mention my brother experienceing a significant memory loss, unfortunately he passed away only a week or so after his operation - but he was also in dire need of a heart transplant. - my point is that we didn't get a chance to see any recovery of his memory.-
With my wife I am particularly concerned because of our history. You say that you and your husband have made a new set of memories and that he had to learn not to correct you.
My wife and I spent the first 6 years of our school life in the same class each and every day. Our high school years were at different schools although in the same town and parish. We met as adults only 2 years ago at a class reunion we organised.
We have only just developed some very new memories. My fear is she won't know who I am post-op. So I am open to any suggestions / ideas.
I can only say in my own experiance, I feel the memory loss is more of things I've done or said, stuff like that.  I do know how pleased I was to see my husband at my side when I awoke from my surgery.  I do not think I have really ever heard of any one not knowing or remebering their spouse with whom they have been side by side for a good time period.  So put your mind at ease and have that smile on your face for her when she first opens her eyes, because that will be one of the greatest first memories for the both of you.  Something that my Husband and I did do before my surgery, may sound odd, but we went thru our photo books together and spent several hours cherishing those memories, I feel it helped me, and we talked about alot of our past experiances together.  This was hard for my Husband, as he was afraid I was thinking the worst, but I was possitive and I really feel by us doing that it did help me in some ways with bits of my memory loss.  Once again, Good Luck and God Bless
Becky