Aortic root dialtion
5.0cm was the MRI reading 3/18/11 of my aortic root, my cardio didn't think it was serious as its just the root and not the ascending or arch. He said he would talk to a vascular surgeon for me but that was 3 weeks ago and still no response. I'm 36 yr male ultra runner and also have poly-cystic kidneys that have spread to my liver and pancreas I was diagnosed with PKD when I was 13 do to a rupture of a cyst. My bp is 109/70 as they up my meds. Any answer would be GREAT!!! Mahalo    
Aloha,

You need to talk to a vascular surgeon yourself as your cardio doesn't appear to be taking your situation seriously.  5.0cm is big and is close to the threshold for surgery, esp if you have a connective tissue disease like Marfan syndrome or Loeys Dietz or Ehlers Danlos.  the fact that you are so young and have such a large root suggests that you may have a connective tissue problem.  You might consider stopping the running/heavy exercising until you meet with a surgeon.

Second, I routinely post about drugs called ARBs which, when taken in high dosages (at least the FDA-approved maximum) have been shown to slow, halt, and even reverse aortic root dilatation.  Click on my screenname and read my old posts on the topic.  Most cardiologists are behind the times and are unaware of this treatment, so you'd need to seek out a physician who knows about it.  Hal Dietz at Johns Hopkins is one of many.

Jesus bless,
N