Heart Disease Expert Forum
Aortic root measures 5.0cm

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Aortic root measures 5.0cm

I have polycycstic kidneys, which I have read to be related to my aortic root dilation of 5.0cm what should I expect? My MRI was done 3/18/11 Mahalo for your time
Based on the measurements of your aorta, it is considered to be enlarged.

I would encourage you to find a cardiologist who can work with you on a treatment plan for following the size of your aorta. Many specialists will obtain frequent echocardiograms or CT scans to follow the size of the aorta. If the aorta continues to enlarge you may need to have a specialized surgery which prevents the aorta from enlarging further in the future.
Aloha DR, and big MAHALOOO to YOU!!!!!

I will be meeting with a Vascular Surgeon on the 4/27/11, this started with chest pains 2 yrs ago and I've had chest pains 4 times in those years usally in consective days when running. My cardio said he was convinced it was muscle skelato so I kept running through, the most  recent chest pains on 2/15/11/ 2/16/11  In my mind i was wondering if he is right this shure hurts but I ran through the pain and it finally subsided.Duration of pain was 30 min or 3miles ruffly  and very much in center chest area. I never feel the same pain again only during those 4 times.My first echo 2yrs ago 4.1cm this yr 2/3/11 echo 4.4cm finally 3/18/11 MRI 5.cm
I  really feel like anything I do now is pushing my luck ,  feb/march i ran  two /36 mile runs from sea level to 10033ft. Best to catch these early and operate or the watch and wait and then operate seems like a waste of time. DOES THE AORTIC ROOT SHRINK FROM 5 CM back to NORMAL. OR DOES IT CONTNINUE TO GROW  I AM 36 yr MALE 180lbs slight pigeon chest with APKD> AND TOTALY LOST AND BESIDES MYSELF SINCE MY MRI FINDING. ALOHA  TO CLEVELAND AND ALL OTHERS OUT FEELING THE SAME. TICK TICK
Aloha Dr,

I slide down the slope sometimes sorry for that. What kind of specialized surgery are talking about??? And as I am ULTRA RUNNER would I be able to continue my passion with this special surgery???

AND AT WHAT SIZE WOULD THE SURGERY BE CONSIDER???? Everything I read is 5cm 5.5cm why is that. It's very hard to find any specifc findings just on the aortic root. And why would they want to watch and wait if the outcomes is surgery? I just really want to get on with it.
I have a 4.5 aneurysm in the ascending aorta (not the root) and my doctor has told me to take it very easy with exercise - no treadmill or anything. Apparently high pulse rate and BP can make the aneurysm worse and I am on a beta blocker to keep both those things down.  I would definitely ask your doctor if you should be running.  I can't imagine it's good for you, but I may be wrong.  

Yes, 5.0 is the usual time when surgery is recommended but in some cases it may need to be sooner.  From the readings you gave, looks like your aneurysm has grown quite a lot in a relatively short amount of time.

Best of luck.