Heart Disease Expert Forum
Are PVC's

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Are PVC's

I'm a 46 yr old fem. fit & in good health, B/P 110/70. In June '02, I got sick with an illness which had the major symptom of orthostatic hypotension & other organ symptoms. After 1 wk I could only crawl on my hands/knees due to fainting/weakness.I was sent to Stanford Med Ctr for 10 days.Had an echocardiogram, blood tests, tilt table testing, etc.I was on IV only for 10 days.Their diag: Orthostatic hypotension & gave proamitine. Proamitine made me sick & altered.They sent me home 2 days later & my GP took me off Proamitine as he thought I had a bad virus.After 9 wks I started to get better,no more cardiac symptoms,just getting my strength & life back.Then in March 03, I had tightness in my chest, squeezing in left arm.I went to the ER. B/P was 160/100 and pulse was 180.EKG showed no abnormalities.I was given an Ativan and refered to a cardiologist.I did a Holter monitor and a stress echo.Holter showed several instances of 148 BPM while showering, or just sitting and several PAC/PVC's some coming every other beat.Stress echo showed several PAC's & PVC's that lessened with exercise. After reviewing the Stress Echo/Holter,was told I have benign PVC's & PAC's and just deal with them or take beta blockers.I asked why all of a sudden I started having PAC's PVC's they said they didn't know.I asked if they would go away-they said no.Can someone tell me why these all of a sudden cropped up, and what can be done for them? I have multiple per minute and am uncomfortable. Are these as benign as they say? Organs just don't start acting up for no reason do they? What can I do? Thanks!
Debigriffs,

Thanks for the post.

From the information that you provided, the most likely explanation is that you have always had PACs or PVCs.  You have now become aware of them because you were told about them.  It certainly is understandable that you are now hyper-aware of abnormal sensations in your body after the extraordinary illnes you had in June 2002.

An alternative possibility is that you are now developing the precursor to atrial fibrillation from long-standing hypertension.  Some patients first develop an increased frequency of PACs prior to developing atrial fibrillation.  The most common cause for atrial fibrillation is hypertension, which you may have (based on the ER report you mentioned).

Monitoring and treatment of possible hypertension would certainly be a good start.  Beta-blockers may be a way to treat both the PACs and the hypertension, but talk to your doctor about this first.

Hope that helps.

Don't worry yourself. Yes, these damn PVC's and PAC's are scary and annoying, but in an otherwise normal heart they are not harmful or a predictor of bad things on the horizon. Me and hundred's of others on this forum suffer from them and they can start or stop at anytime for no apprent reason.I can have days where I get them every few seconds or not get one all day. If Beta Blockers (which are very safe and also extend your life) don't work and the PVC's are lowering your quality of life you can look into having a Cathater Ablation for these premature beats that may cure them. The question is do you want to undertake the small risk associated with the procedure just to cure something that won't hurt you anyway? Good luck.
-
Are you pre-menopausal perhaps?
Then PVC's can come on very rapid, as many women can tell you on this site!
-
Bye - *Ianna* -
Are you SURE they ruled out myocarditis? That's my first guess from what you wrote. Myocarditis can develop during or after a viral infection and is often overlooked and one of the things that can happen to folks who have had it -- EVEN AFTER THE HEART HAS RECOVERED ON ECHO, it is my understanding ( and I recently discussed this with a well known cardiologist) that you are at increased risks for arrhythmias.

Obviously, the good doctors here know more about this that I do but I just couldn't NOT ask you about it because, due to my work, I'm studying this very subject.

Also, how could you have "long standing hypertension"? Did I miss something or did you say you had had pretty normal BP until this unexplained illness?

I have lots of pvcs, pacs, flutterings, etc and had every non-invasive test going which all showed my heart to be 'normal'.  Doctors dismissed me for 30 years as being over anxious, etc, indeed I started to wonder myself if I was insane. However in a period of absolute despair over my palpitations I decided that what was happening to me simply couldn't be 'normal' and I asked my cardiologist to do whatever it took to find out what was wrong with me.  An EP study revealed I have scar tissue in the upper chambers of the heart probably as a result of a virus, I did have a nasty Asian flu in my teenage years which took me quite some time to recover from.  I now plan to have an ablation shortly.
I cannot agree with the cardios comment to you that you have probably always had pvcs, pacs, and not known it, sorry.  Maybe like me, you have scar tissue somewhere in the heart as a result of the virus you had that made you so ill.
I hope I'm not out of line in saying that in my opinion and in light of my own experiences the only way to truly find out what's going on is to have an EP study.
Good luck.
Thanks to everyone for your responses. Will respond back to each...

Hi Lynn - No one mentioned myocarditis to me at all, and my cardio knows about the virus. She said because I was so ill with the virus, my  body was not in balance and that it would take time to get back the balance I once had and perhaps that is the reason for all the PAC's and PVC's. She said stress and hormones could cause it. I will ask her next trip back in Sept. Thanks!

CCF-M.D.-RJC - I have, about 3 times over the course of the last 5 years, noticed a flutter here or there - never anything that worried me. These PVC's & PAC's are intense and came on suddenly in March 03. Also, I have never had High B/P except for this one incident in March 03 - was feeling awful and when I went to the ER it was 160/100 and hasn't been up since, so hopefully atrial fibrillation is not in my near future. My doc says  my B/P is like a baby's. If it dies get too uncomfortable, I will talk to my doc about the beta blockers - just hate to take meds...that's all.

Ianna - I am having extensive hormone testing right now to determine if I have some imbalances given my age and stage of life.

Erik & Linda - thanks for the encouragement!

I must say though since I am an engineer (a real geek), I would like to get to the root cause of the PVC & PAC thing. It came out of nowhere and I'd like to do whatever I can to get 'em to go back there! I changed everything in my life...I now eat 99% organic, no alcohol, drugs - never smoked, get plenty of exercise water and rest. I did move 2 years ago from San Jose to a location in the Sierra's of California that is 7500ft above sea level from an area that was maybe 1600ft. I have tried to see if high altitude living could play a part in all of this, but not much out there.

Anyway, thanks all for responding...I don't feel so alone.
debi

CCF-M.D.-RJC - I have, about 3 times over the course of the last 5 years, noticed a flutter here or there - never anything that worried me. These PVC's & PAC's are intense and came on suddenly in March 03. Also, I have never had High B/P except for this one incident in March 03 - was feeling awful and when I went to the ER it was 160/100 and hasn't been up since, so hopefully atrial fibrillation is not in my near future. My doc says  my B/P is like a baby's. If it does get too uncomfortable, I will talk to my doc about the beta blockers - just hate to take meds...that's all.

debi
If you really feel bad, or are scared, my advice would be to insist on an appointment with a cardiologist sooner rather than later...

Here are some urls for info on myocarditis just in case any of this rings a bell.. note that it's not always easy to diagnose.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000149.htm

http://www.mssm.edu/cvi/myocarditis.shtml

http://www.tmc.edu/thi/myocard.html
I suffer from pac's (well, "suffering" is relative...it causes me much anxiety).  After reading the comments here, I'm afraid I'll go into atril fibrillation!  I only get the pac's and pvc's when I bend over, but I do have high blood pressure (I'm on medication for it).  I guess I shouldn't read the stuff here...it only scares me and make me feel worse.  Are my pac's/pvc's going to lead to atrial fibrillation?  What are the symptoms of atrial fibrillation?  Help!  I'm scared!  Feel free to email me at ***@**** or answer me here; thanks.
Can catheter ablation get rid of PACs and PVCs?

My cardiologist said no - Expect to continue to have PACs etc. after an ablation.  He said the ablation would only cure the arrhythmia (usually an SVT).

I think the doctor is exactly right on the hypertensions theory.  And I think it doesn't have to be super high to bring on these PACs and PVCs.  I think everything feasible ought to be done to bring down those readings to around 110/70.  At least that is my goal.
I would like to explain my situation and see if anyone can relate.  I have a left bundle branch block which was discovered in 1999.  At that time I was not diagnosed with the pvc's.  I do suffer from borderline high blood pressure and am on med for that.  I also, was recently put on a beta blocker lopressor for the pvcs.  Is there any significance to the fact that I have both.  I don't go any longer than 30 seconds without a pvc.  I am 45 and 168 llbs. Last night I could not go to sleep it felt like my heart was thumping the bed on my side.  I also, have undergone every test they could think of and found nothing even pulmonary and sleep study.  Please comment......I would love to hear what anyone else thinks.....
Has anyone ever had an ablation and found that it actually got rid of their PACs and PVCs?    (Pls. say yes!)  :)
YES. I have heard of people getting cured. It's not successful with everyone. It depends on how many areas of the heart they are coming from. You would need an EP study to find out"
I have heard of ablation procedures working on non-multi focal PVC's.  I have multi-focal(originate in multiple places) so they would have to buzz my whole heart.lol.  

I get more PVC's in the morning and right be for bed. Why?

Does anyone know if being grossly out of shape can result in PVC's? at 33 yrs?

I've gotten to the point were these damm things don't even bother me. That's a lie. Beat wierd I say!
Hi everyone, I just wanted to say that I've been suffering from these PVC's every day now, and are used to having them several times a minute.  Some days are definitely worse than others, but I have them each day.  Today is kind of a bad day in that I can't really seem to get any relief from them, even laying down.  I've been eating some chocolate, but I can't imagine that would make that much of a difference.  Anyway, I just wanted to mention the menopause connection, especially to debi, since you would be at the age to start getting symptoms.  I started getting these palpitations at about 31 years old, which was 10 good years before I even began having irregular periods.  So, here I am, at 43, and still going through this.  I know it has to be connected somewhat because I had them very bad a couple of summers ago, right before what I thought was my last cycle.  Then, they calmed way down for about a year, I had them, but few and far between.  Then, all of a sudden, about 2 months ago, they came on again, and gradually increased to having them all day long.  Sure enough, after a year, I did have a period, and so the connection is obvious.  I am still having the palpitations, and irregular periods again.  So, I know it must be hormonal, and also aggravated by stressful situations, which I am in a very stressful time in my life right now.  I also am overweight, and trying to loose that, and I do eat badly sometimes, like today I could kick myself for having McDonald's.  I always feel worse after having something like that.  I have taken numerous ekg's, a holter moniter, a thallium stress test, and blood tests.  The only thing that showed up was in the blood tests I had an elevated Sed Rate, at 38, and I've read that can possibly be due to menopause, and the higher altitude I live in now.  Debi, you mentioned this higher altitude, and I was wondering where you live, since you mentioned the sierras; I am living in Reno right now.  I didn't think of the connection there, but maybe it could be making it worse.  I think you do feel better living at sea level.  I came here from Texas, so there is quite a difference.  I don't think Reno is that high, though.  Anyway, just putting in my two cents here, thanks to everyone for the continued help and support!!  Thanks, Val
My story is similar to yours! My PVCs resurfaced (after years of being dormant) in my early 30's.  I assumed from a very stressful time in my life but now I am wondering if it wasn't somehow hormonal related. Then they disappeared again except for a flutter here and there.  At age 42 they reappeared once more, very strong, and have made their presence known always around ovulation and the onset of my cycle.

There's got to be a connection here for us pre-menopausal women!

Beth
I am positive that perimenopause shifts in hormones play a major role!  I am at my worst at ovulation and pms (I am 37).  My pvcs also flared up in early pregnancy with my second (I was 32) but settled down until about two years ago.

I am up to very high levels on my bad days -- 10,197pvcs were recorded on my holter this past week -- so it is going to be ablation all the way for me!  I am hoping this will head off major menopause crazy beats.  I don't think I could take it!  (I am unifocal so maybe there is hope for me... I will certainly post if/when this takes place)  Hang in there everyone!
Thanks Chris for posting.  I await any news you have/get regarding PVCs and us women-folk!  My cardio won't do any albation (says no need for me), but I sure don't look forward to these getting any worse as I get closer to the big M!

Thanks for sharing.........

Beth
Hello everyone. I am a 35-year-old white female, I'm new to this site and I am SO happy to be here!  All this time (13 years) I thought I was the only person in the world to have PVC's, even though the docs all say it is 'normal'.  I haven't found anything normal about it at all.

Anyway, in these posts I have read about people who have PVC's and PAC's in a variety of settings. People get them upon bending down, reaching up, lying down, sitting still, using their arms, (i.e., blow-drying their hair, etc.,) after exercise and some even related to hormone fluctuations.

I, too, have been diagnosed with benign PVC's through years of testing (EKG's, echocardiograms, holter monitors, right and left cardiac catheterization, CT scans, pulmonary function tests, exercise tests, blood tests, etc. You name it, I've had it. Except for EP testing. I was told I could see an EP specialist to find the origin of my PVC's but I have not done so, yet. I saw doctors at Duke University, supposedly some of the best, and they gave me a clean bill of heart health.  

As all of you probably agree, it is hard to believe anything the doctors say because they can't possibly know what we are going through. Well, believe me, I have been suffering for 13 years and I am still alive and non the worse for it. (Except a lot tired of having PVC's). I wish I could say they get better, but they don't. You really do have to learn to live with them.

I get them (PVC's) skipped beats, extra beats, flip-flopping, hard beats almost every day. There are exacerbators for me which include, reaching above my head, using my arms for almost anything (peeling potatoes, cutting meat, mowing the lawn, carrying groceries for more than a couple of seconds, etc), as well as (and this is the BIG one) a week before my menses starts, I get the worst PVC's. They happen all day long for a whole week. I have heard people say they feel like PVC's are hormone related and I have read where some doctors feel like there is no connection...... Well...... that may be so, however, it is awfully conincidental that almost all of us women who experience PVC's, get them worse with pms/menstruation/menopause/hormone fluctuations.  Does anybody out there hear me? Do you know what I am referring to?  I know you do.

I just had to put in my two cents and hope that someone out there reading this can generate some comfort from knowing that many others have the same problem as you. I have gained much comfort from just KNOWING there are others out there.  Again, I have lived with this for 13 years and I am STILL living. I hate it, but I haven't died. I, like many of you others, feel like this heart-beat irregularity surely will alter my heart in bad ways, but if it were going to do that, I think it would have started to show some sort of degenerative change by now..... My heart is healthy and looks good to the cardiologists. The tests have ALL come back normal. How can you argue with that?    

Take comfort all you PVC sufferers..... One day science will find an answer for us. At least we have been told these things are benign and won't kill us and this is not some life-threatening disease that will harm us or kill us before a cure can be found.    Towanda!
Count me in on the hormone hypothesis~~  I have had pvc's for 20+ years and for the most part I have accepted that my heart just beats to a different drummer.  

There are several of us "frequent fliers" (a term I coined for those of us who are reaching the high numbers) out here, and we're here to tell ya....hang in there!  I know...I know....easier said than done, but seriously anxiety is a precursor (at least for me).  Like some of the others, my numbers reach into the 20,000+ range (per day).  I was taking beta blockers for many years, but eventually decided to just deal with the buggers.....We need to remember to look on the bright side, "it's still ticking" : )
Wow- I never knew there were so many of us out there with
these annoying and scary PVCs.  Well, I started getting these about 3 years ago and was told by my doctor not to worry.
I did see a cardiologist but they never told me anything that made me feel better, or worse for that matter. I recently had a baby and during my pregnancy I did not experience many PVCs and even up until a year later I was almost PVC free!  I thought pregnancy cured me.  Well recently I started a weight loss regimen and started exercising and they came back.  
Now I am worried that they are here to stay again.  Its weird.
I have been exercising for a while now but they came back all of a sudden.  I noticed them particularly today AFTER my exercise session.  I heard this could be a bad thing.  Do any of you know what the risks are with increased PVCs after exercise?
I heard that there MAY be a risk when having PVCs during or after exercise. I don't remember exactly how the doctor worded it. In layman's terms the "may" referred to people who did not have structurally sound hearts and other issues going on -- some of which weren't even heart related.  Even when those conditions existed for this select group of people, it was still a "may."  

Keep on exercising.  Not exercising would be harmful to your body (and mind)!  I get them before, during and after -- sometimes a little, sometimes a lot! Remember: MAY be a risk -- not definitely a risk.  Try to put it in perspective.  :-)

Beth
Hi, wow, this board is so much help!  I can't believe the numbers on how many PVC's some people get each day.  I was adding it up, and I figure if I'm getting 5 or more per minute, then I'm in the thousands also.  So, this isn't really a bad thing?  I was thinking maybe I should go back in and have another holter moniter since they've increased so much since my last holter.  On my last holter, I was only having a few a day, and they've increased to a few a minute.  This seems to be totally going along with menopause, but that's a guess, the doctors sure don't know why I have them.  I have had the thallium stress test, and blood tests, and other things, but I was just thinking that the holter might be good again.  How do you guys deal with so many a day?  I was just out with my little daughter, and she was playing around, and I couldn't even sit there and relax since I was having so many, it just makes you kind of tense.  Especially if I'm out somewhere far from home with her.  Do most doctors say you should have an abablation if you are in the thousands per day?  I've tried medication before, but for me, it made it worse, and I hate being on any medication.  I also read a study where people on medication had  more of a risk of sudden death than those who weren't on anything.  I think I have anxiety about this cause my Dad, who was 69, had sudden death.  He had restrictive cardiomyopathy, but we still don't really know why.  He was very healthy all his life, and he was a runner, ate good, just very healthy.  I don't know if any of you have heard of this, but they think he might have had amyloidosis.  Kind of a rare disease in which plasma proteins stick to organs, and they can stick to your heart, and cause the cardiomyopathy.  Anyway, he just passed away sitting on the couch with my Mom.  So, I feel even worse having all these palpitations, thinking it must be something hereditary.  But, then, that's why this board makes me feel better, cause I realize there's other people out there with as many as I have.  Thanks for all of the help!!  Take care, Val
Hi Val -

I just saw your post and I want to share with you this thought: I have read (and we both have responded to) prior posts of yours. Yes, you have an irregular heart beat (like me and others) but I think the major culprit of your symptoms is anxiety.  I literally can "feel" your anxiety as you write.  I've been there too. I believe once you calm down enough for your body to become comfortable feeling peaceful, your PVCs will diminish.  Not saying they will completely go away, but I think they will definitely subside quite a bit.

Have you tried any of the calming techniques? Like yoga, relaxation tapes, herbal or homeopathic tinctures (or even medicinal like Xanax, if necessary)? Walking helps too.  So does calming self-talk ("I'm okay, it's just PVCs....). There are plenty of anxiety work books out that are helpful. Does your insurance cover psychological counseling?  I found great relief many years ago talking one on one with a therapist about my heart situation and other issues in my life.  Perhaps that will help you.

One day at a time -- one beat at a time!

Beth
Hi Val!!

Oh you are in good company with this group! We can definitely relate to the anxiety associated with your pvc's.  I don't have any medical proof, but I do believe that hormone fluctuations play a role in the level of pvc's experienced at a given time. I have had pvc's for about 25 years, and for the most part I am OK with them.  Even though I have thousands/day, I don't feel most of them.....But, the ones I do feel....YUK!! I defintely agree with Beth about trying to find ways to decrease your anxiety, but I also know that sometimes those buggers come on out of nowwhere and it seems as though they just have to run their course.  I have had them for so long that I am pretty much used to them.  After many years of taking a beta blocker, it seemed as though it pretty much stopped working. In fact, I do think they were getting worse.  About 5 years ago, I went off the RX (Dr. was OK with that) and did great for about 2+ years.  Even though my numbers were high, the doctor wasn't too concerned until my EF dropped.  So, now I'm taking Rythmol to keep the "beats" in check. So far I seem to be improving and I do not have nearly as many extra beats...Or if I do, I sure don't feel as many.....Take Care....We are a group who beat to a differt drummer : )
Thanks guys sooo much for all the valuable advice!!!  I can't tell you how much this board helps me!!  I really don't know what I would do, I guess I would be in the emergency room each night!  Anyway, I know they can be related to anxiety, but I definitely have them all day long regardless.  I was coming down a hill the other day from Lake Tahoe in my car, and I was having anxiety about my car a little bit, and I was getting PVC's like crazy, I just couldn't wait till I got to the bottom!  Anyway, I still had them on the rest of the drive home, but it was weird, they were getting better and better the closer I got to home.  So, I can see how anxiety brings them on, but then sometimes I get them for no apparant reason at all.  The other night in bed, I kept getting this thing where right when I would drift off to sleep, I would kind of jump up and wake up with a bad palpitation, and some weird shortness of breath.  I tried to sleep, but I couldn't, so I got up and watched some tv and drank water, but I kept having PVC's about every 5 or 10 beats, and short of breath.  It really made me nervous, I almost thought of going to the hospital, and then my anxiety got the best of me.  I have a lot of anxiety in my life right now, and I worry about the things coming up in my life, and how I'm going to deal with them.  We are moving across the country, and I have to travel with my kids alone to get there, and this weekend for the fourth of July, I'm driving down to San Francisco to see some relatives, but I'm nervous about the drive.  My husband is already starting his job on the East Coast, so I'm doing these things alone for the time being (just with the kids).  Anyway, the point is that I wish I didn't have to worry about doing these things on my own, I wish I was just comfortable like everyone else doing them.  I am getting used to my PVC's just being a part of my life each day, it's just that sometimes they get so hard and really noticable.  Thanks again so much for the great advice, I really will try to do some relaxation things.  You guys are the best, thanks, Val
Today I went to the gym again and I have been so frustrated.
About 15 minutes into my workout I just felt drained of energy
and like I wasn't getting enough oxygen.  I had to stop and
despite my efforts to calm down by walking, I had to go home because I just couldn't keep going.  I am scared.  I did not feel any PVCs this time but definitely knew something is not right.  It is very agravating when I can't do something as simple as exercise especially when I enjoy it so much.  I have a doctor's appointment in a couple of weeks and I hope I can get to the bottom of this.  Reading this forum sure makes me feel better knowing I am not the only scared one out there. thanks
Hi all  :)
Been reading and must say to you all. I am forever greatful that i found you. I have always had some pvc's but never new they could run or cause the problems they do till now. I have had two major episodes in the past year of running pvc's that have caused lots of ugly stress in my life. I do beleive that this is brought on by something stressful. I have always worried all my life about haveing a heart attack, but more so since i watched my mother die of one 10 years ago. I have always felt every little glitch in my rate pattern or any little pain. I do have panic and anxiety and always have since i was small. I work out every day except sundays, and well eat descent to. I admire you all for doing all the research that you have to stop this annoying problem. I will tell you what i have done up to this point. I take zoloft 25mg daily. I work out and do alot of self talk. (possitive) I agree with myself that i will do for me daily what needs to be done to take care of me and breath my own air. I have aliminated sweets and caffeine. I now take a pluthera of vitamins including magnesium and calcium. I pray and listen to my needs. No i am not religious although sometimes believe i should be.  :)  I have been listening to all of you and truly am pleased to be here. can i join your group??  :)

thanks  Deb  ***@****
Hi Deb!!

Sure you can join our friendly group. Welcome aboard : )
Hi I  just have a comment for you. I think when I was here last august you were here to with the same thing. Is this you??
I am almost certain it was you..

Listen, when I drive I get pvc too.. I get more panic and anxiety when I drive then I ever have. I hate being alone, and especially at night. I have good days and bad with panic and anxiety. All I know is this.. I love my life and I could'nt imagine wasting any more time then what is already wasted just having the normal stress's of daily life. I know that some people try beta blockers and other drugs to try to control the pvc, but if you suffer from panic and anxiety nothing but those types of drugs can save you. I always thought o' no not me I can lick this on my own.. Im stronger then that. But all the time I spent trying to take on a task that I had no control of cost me precious time away from what matters most. I decided that I needed to take care of me and now. I tryed zanex, which i couldnt believe that i was taking. I dont even drink at all. That worked the first time. This lead me to believe that this may be anxiety induced. I went 10 months with small amounts of pvc which i could handle. Then BOOM!!! about 3 weeks ago it came on with a vengence. I was having runs and more runs. I decided to go in and see the dr again. Of course he told me its stress and anxiety. Ok i said then fix me.. he did he gave me zoloft which took two weeks to kick in and now I have the normal 5 or 6 per day and that I can handle and enjoy life. The low dose of zoloft has helped so so much, I hope you check into it. It really takes the edge off that ugly anxiety. Hope this helps.
take care.

***@****  deb
I have so many pvc's,pac's and such and increase this past year and wonder about the correlation with hormones. I am 35 and see a EP cardilogist yearly for my mvp,heart murmurs, syncope, and follow all his guidelines for years now. No caffeine, alcohol, chocolate, walk daily and stay thin. I would love a reward of no more pvc's,pac's . Loosing women in my family to heart disease is another scare to keeping my body healthy.
I can try Inderal or Rhythmol at the clinic to control them when ready. Ever have them keep you awake ?
I have been on Progesterone cream for 3 months trying to control my 2 heavy menstrual cycles a month and spotting to no prevail. Birth control is not advised, cysts on ovaries and so tired. I will have b/p of 90/59 and h/r of 50 and don't want to increase that risk as well. Any suggestions.
Have you tried fish oil ? My N.p. is suggesting www.omegabrite.com to help increase seratonin levels which women need when hormones act up.
Hi there,
Just wanted to comment to you. I know its hard to deal with pvc, I hate it more then you can imagine. I am 38 female, I have had some pvc all my life, but now have it for weeks at a time which really stinks. It does take alot from us dosn't it?
The remedy in which has really really helped me this time is this.
Magnesium twice daily with calcium
flax seed oil in it's oil state in the refrigerator and the health food store only.
hawthorne berry once per day (great for heart function)
co-enzeime Q-10
folic acid
vitamin c
and mega B stress formula
and of course I take 25mg of zoloft at night for panic and anxiety.
I work out daily hard and drink lots of water.

The flax seed oil is essential and none of these can hurt you at all so don't worry.

take care and email me ***@****
Hi - Have been away so just saw your message. So you live in Reno and are at high altitude as well. Did your PAC's/PVC's start before or after you moved to the altitude? Mine started 3 years after my move to Truckee, CA. In fact, ever since I moved to the higher altitude, I have had few bouts of strange, unexplained illnesses. I go to the Reno Heart Physicians and they laughed at me when I asked if the high altitude could play a part in my PAC's/PVC's, but I can tell you when I come off the hill and down into Reno at about 4000feet I feel much better!

If you'd like to e-mail me to discuss this further, you can reach me at ***@****.

Hope you are feeling better
Hi, yes, I have been having them worse since I moved to Reno.  How weird to get your message, I also went to Reno Heart Physicians.  Who did you have there?  My Dad had Dr. Williamson, who I've heard is very good, and then I had a woman, her name is Dr. Chaney, but she went off to have her baby, and I got placed with the nurse practitioner, Dr. Zelk, who has been just great.  I wasn't too fond of Dr. Chaney because I thought she was kind of short in her answers, and not very nice.  Dr. Zelk has been very kind and understanding, and really knowledgeable.  Anyway, I did have them in Texas, but then they went away for about a year, appearing again a couple months after moving to Reno.  My reason to move to Reno was very stressful, though, my Dad passed away, and the kids and I came to live with my Mom while my husband stayed behind to work in Texas.  He has since gotten a new job in Connecticut, and we are probably moving there.  He's understanding about commuting, he says he could possibly work in Conn., and then commute to Nevada because the kids are enjoying their schools so much here.  I don't know what to do.  Anyway, I'm flying tomorrow out to Texas to take care of the house there, and I'm going with my two daughters, and I'm so nervous about the plane flight because of my palpitations.  We have to change planes in Phoenix, and I'm so nervous that I won't feel good.  I have them so much, it's just hard to deal with all the time.  I do notice that if I'm in a situation where I'm being distracted, I don't notice them as much.  I went out to dinner last night with my in-laws, and I didn't notice them as much then, but then while I'm sitting here typing, I'm having tons of them.  Do you ever get them that often?  I take my pulse, and I feel one every 5 beats or so sometimes during the day.  It'll calm down, but then I still get them at least every 20 beats or so.  The docs at Reno Heart Physicians don't seem to think it's a big deal, but when I wore my holter there, I wasn't having them as bad as I am now, so I was thinking maybe I should get another holter.  When I had them really bad like this in Texas, the holter did catch one short episode of atrial fib, then I got some attention.  I take an aspirin a day for that.  I wonder sometimes if I could be back in that again.  
     I know what you mean about feeling good sometimes when you go to a lower elevation.  I love Lake Tahoe so much, but sometimes feel better when I go back down into the valley.  Also, have you ever heard of a blood test called a Sedementation rate test?  When I had my blood work done at the heart doctors, that came out abnormal for me (too high at 38) and it was suggested that it could be living in a highter altitude.  Anyway, sorry to go on and on here, thanks for all the advice!!  Thanks, Val
Hola,
My current situation is very similar and yet different to the many personal stories that I have just read on this most surprising discussion board.  
I am intrigued to find out the accuracy of the correlations that we are suspecting between arrythmia, hormones, altitude and other problems (allergies, digestive problems, etc.).
I am 33 years old and I moved to Quito, Ecuador (3000+ meters) a year ago.  Since that time, I have developed arrythmia (which is more anxiety-inducing than anything else), increased back & shoulder problems on the left side, digestive problems, fatigue and other health-related difficulties.  
I have noticed that all of these difficulties tend happen within about 5 days of my menses (or during ovulation)--I am in complete agreement with those who have noticed a similar correlation.  I have a regular but heavy cycle, every 28 days, with painful cramps and all of my aforementioned symptoms tend to be exacerbated at this time.  I have yet to have children and am a little worried that all of this will inhibit my husband & I from having a family.
I plan to address all of this with my doctor in the next week or so with the hopes of some kind of solution.  And will post if any solutions are proposed or if anything new is revealed...
Hola,
Hola,
Hola,
hello to everyone. I am new to this site and am very pleased to b here.  I am a 39 yr. old F.  I too suffer from the annoying PAC's.  I dont get them at any certain time as I have read here such as bending over or any other movement.  I did however experience them more frequently at the time that I was to start my period as many of u other women here.  Just this past March, I had to have a hysterectomy.  I did however get to keep both of my ovaries, but do still have the dreaded PAC's and palpitations.  I thought that maybe after having the hysterectomy that maybe I would see relief from this condition.  How wrong I was.  Seems I have them more now.  This past week I have had them around the clock where as before, I would only get them at certain times and would only last a day or so.  I am however happy to hear that im not alone in this, but sorry to hear that there are so many that do have this problem.  Im most happy to hear though that so many of u have been told that this is not a serious problem.  I was beginning to wonder u know?  I was wondering if any of u, after having a hysterectomy has experienced more frequent episodes.  I also feel very tired now that I have them where as before I didnt.  Can any of u relate to this?  BUT I must say that after having my hysterectomy, I havent been the same.  This takes a while to get over.  And yes, this is most definatly related to hormonal problems at least that is my take on things.  What a woman has to go thru.  everyone b safe and take care.  i will welcome any feed back.
You have no idea how glad I am that I stumbled on this message board. I have been going out of my mind worrying about all that has been going on with me. After reading your posts... I feel a little better but I have to admit I am still afraid of what is happening.
   I am 34, and I have to be honest I am not in the best physical shape I should be in. I do not smoke or drink. In July I started feeling like I had a butterfly stuck in my throat. I would have this feeling often, for years actually but since I am hypothyroid, I just assumed it was my thyroid. Well, for 24 hours the fluttering was constant and it was the worse feeling ever... I am sure you all know what I mean. I was driving down the road with my husband, 2 of my children and all of a sudden my arms and hands started to tingle and felt numb, I had a slight pain in my chest... not severe, just annoying. I started getting tunnel vision and couldn't breathe. The fluttering so was terrible I could feel my chest jerking, don't know how else to describe it. I had to pull over before I passed out behind the wheel. Needless to say I ended up in the ER, went thru all the fun tests... EKG, CTScan to check for bloodclots...nitro tablets & patches you know the drill. To make a long story short, there was a change in my second EKG so they admitted me to cardiac stepdown for the night. They did a stress test and said it was beautiful and sent me home with an event monitor for 30 days. They told me weren't sure if it was an electrical problem or the fact that my TSH was above 36.
     My family history is terrible, heart disease is all thru it, along with diabetes. My brother had a quad bypass at the age of 36, as well as my grandmother, aunt and uncle all having them also,so you can imagine why I am so bloody scared. Of course when I had the event monitor, after the 1st week, the pvc's calmed down along with the other symptoms. Then a few days before I had to turn it in... boom... they were back, heart palps, feeling like someone was squeezing my windpipe so I couldn't breath, discomfort in my chest, sometimes pain, sometimes squeezing, almost passed out a few times while I was alone with my children. I went back to my doctor, complained again about what was happening, he set me up with the cardiologist who ordered the event monitor. He also told me if I had anymore episodes just to go to the ER and hopefully they will be able to catch it and see what is going on. Well, we ended up in the ER, and by the time I was checked in and evaulated the episode was ending. They sent me home a few hoours later and the ER doctor said when this happens just to ride it out. I looked at him and said, so you mean if I pass out on the floor, just hope I wake back up??? He told me that even if I pass out I will be fine. Uh huh... sure.
    I went to my appointment with the cardiologist, he listened to me, did a few things and went over the event monitor with me. Said I was having PVC's..( like I needed to be told that).. and that as long as there aren't 6 in a row they do not worry about them. Scheduled an echo, to ease my mind he said(I am having it Oct 2nd) Started me on Diltiazem 120mg and gave me Lorazepam to help keep me calm (as you can see from how long this post is.. I am anything but calm.) Then after I get home from my appointment, the nurse calls me and says they have decided to send me to The Cleveland Clinic for further studies. And of course, that worries me even more.... ohhhhhh, it's nothing to worry about but we are going to send you to the best heart care center in the U.S., ummmmmmm.... I am worried. I know anxiety has really come into play with everything that has been going on, and I am having a hard time dealing with the not knowing and the waiting. Sometimes it is so bad when the palps start I get so afraid that I feel that if I pass out I will never come to. I worry about my children, my youngest is 10 months... who will take care of them if something happens to me. It's awful. Then I read how some of you have dealt with this for years, how do you do it???? My family is great, but they don't understand what I am going thru. It just helps knowing that I am not alone. Thanks for reading this ohhh so long post... hahaha..... and please keep posting about yourselves... I really need to hear that you are going thru the same thing and still living... know what I mean???
I believe you are having anxiety-attacks.
Nothing to do with the heart.
Find out why you have them.
Busy life?
Learn to relax when you feel the 'attack' coming on.
Find someone to teach you how.
The most important thing is to breath the right way, while realizing that there is really nothing terribly wrong with you.
-
So stay cool...and you'll live to be a hundred...
-
Bye - *Ianna*

I went for my echo yesterday and saw my cardio today and he says I have a leaky valve (mitral) and that may very well be the culprit of my symptoms. I asked if my problem could be anxiety related and he said that anxiety will play a part in making the symptoms worse, but that my symptoms are not brought on by anxiety alone. He also said that I may find that the PVC's may just be something I will have to learn to live with. He doubled my dose of the beta blocker I am on since it did help to calm some of my symptoms. I am also going to a syncope clinic (I think that is the correct word???)in Cleveland this month and he wants to wait and see what they find before he would recommend a cardiac cath. to rule out any blockages since my family history is full of heart disease. Pesonally... I like your theory better that I am having anxiety attacks...... would ease my mind if that was all that this was. But I do admit that I feel better after seeing my doc again today. He eased my mind about quite a few things.... Thanks for your input and take care!
Hi Michele Lee,
-
I'm glad you feel a lot better!
The doctor found MVP.
That explaines a bit.
I have the same condition.
If you find the time look for info at this site, next to what the dr. tells you it's nice to be informed all the way.
www.mitralvalveprolape.com
This among other things they write:

What is MVP Syndrome? Forty percent of patients with mitral valve prolapse also have an imbalance of the autonomic nervous system, or ANS, called dysautonomia. The ANS is composed of two systems; the parasympathetic and the sympathetic. It controls virtually all body functions, such as respiration, heartbeat, blood pressure, vision, and digestion. When this system is out of balance it can cause a myriad of symptoms, including panic attacks, anxiety, fatigue, migraines, irritable bowel, and more. This combination of symptoms is known as MVP Syndrome. Diagnosis is made by physical examination, a careful medical history, and an echocardiogram. Unfortunately, MVP does not always show up on an echocardiogram. Thus MVPS is a clinical diagnosis. Usually symptoms do not show up before the age of 14 or 15, but more and more children display central nervous system symptoms before the MVP shows up. Ninety-eight percent of people with MVP Syndrome have nothing wrong with their heart. The majority of symptoms are caused by an out-of-balance nervous system.mvps info: Common triggering events - childbirth, major viral illness, menopause, accident, surgery, college (leaving home and stress), death of a loved one, marriage, moving, divorce. Our nervous system doesn't differentiate between good or bad stress.
-
Still, go and let yourself be checked, cause of your family-history..
Better safe than sorry.
-
Good luck! - Ianna
Hello everyone,

Glad to have found this little section and to know that I'm not the only one suffering with PVCs. I have had them since last year and it seemed as if they progressed. I never had this problem until one day I decided not to eat(stupid me) and all I did was drink coffee and smoke cigarettes. By evening, I noticed my heart skipping and I stood up to shake it off. But all I felt was my heart racing faster and skipping. I thought I was having a heart attack and scared the living daylights out of me. I went to the ER and they told me it was anxiety.

I've done everything to prevent anxiety but I still get these horrible PVCs and they progressed to frequent ones which has scared me. So, I stopped smoking and drinking coffee. The cardiologist says my heart is perfectly normal. So I wonder, will I ever be able to recover and have normal heart beats. I also have heard malnutrition causes PVCs too and heard that it is possible to recover in a couple of years. So, I believe that the combination of anxiety and malnutrition were my key causes to my frequent PVCs. Does anybody know if this is true? Can it be possible to recover? Do any experts know about this?

Thanks,
Paul
A related discussion, Medications was started.