Heart Disease Expert Forum
Arrhythia and EKG

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Arrhythia and EKG

I recently had an EKG and when the doctor looked at it with the technician he kept pointing at it saying there are "pac"'s.  I have an arrhythmia problem and he is treating it for me.  I am sure he said pac's and would like to know what they are.  I have had trouble with tachardia.  Thanks!

PACs are premature atrial complexes and are almost always benign--meaning, not something you should worry about. Essential all this means is that there is an area (or a focus) outside the sinus node (the place of normal heart rhythms starts).  Electrocardiographically,it the p wave is slightly different than normal and the QRS complex (bigger of the 3 deflections on EKG)is usually normal appearing.

There are occassions when PACs can start another arrhythmia leading to tachycardia.  Holter or event monitor recordings of the arrhythmia my confirm or deny PAC involvement with your tachycardia.

I hope this helps answer your question and thanks for posting.

Hope this helps and thanks for posting.
Hi there,
I'm looking forward to hearing the Dr.'s response.

From my ( a patient's) understanding, PAC's are premature atrial contractions.

I have also had them show up on my ECG's and event monitoring. In discussions with my cardiologist reguarding my situation (mitral valve issue since birth) he has mentioned to me that the PAC's are not as concerning to him unless the frequency is high.  I did have a short recorded episode of A-Fib which he was more interested in. I take a small dose of medicine, and have very few problems anymore.  Do you know how frequent the PAC's were?  Do you have a structurally normal heart?

All the Best,
Uptown
Hi Daisy not to sound flip but why didn't you ask your doc what pacs were when he said it?????