Heart Disease Expert Forum
Arrhythmia, Anxiety, Stress, Help!!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Arrhythmia, Anxiety, Stress, Help!!!

I'm a 35 year old male.  I've been under considerable stress for the last two years.  Last July, I began to experience heart palpitations.  Some of my other symptoms are:
  Mild anxiety-especially when I experience palpitations.
  Sometimes my face feels like it is burning for no apparent reason.
  I become irritated easily.
  I sometimes get headaches on one side of my head.
  I often feel like my head is under pressure.  It is not painful.  It feels like when your held upside down and all the blood rushes to your head.
  The palpitations come and go, but seem to be occuring more frequently.  Sometimes I can feel them for hours at a time.
  I went to two separate cardiologists.  Both of them said it was just stress.  I might add that I am an American living in Morocco.  Although both cardiologists said it was stress, they both prescribed me different drugs.  One gave me a drug to get my heart back into a normal rhythym.  The other prescribed sedatives to keep me calm.  I don't feel confident in their diagnosis.  Doctors here are known for prescribing drugs at the drop of a hat.
  My blood pressure seemed to be normal during these visits.  While at the Doctor's office it dropped by the time I left.  Is this just stress?  Or could it be something much more severe?  
  Please give me some advice.

_
Dear Thom,
Since anxiety, stress, and palpititations all feed off each other, so really you were treated appropriately by both physicians.  However, medications are certainly not the cure for PVCs, a completely benign condition, the best treatment is for the patient to get control of his/her life, i.e. reduce stress, avoid alcohol, caffeine, and chocolate which often trigger more PVCs.
The blood pressure should rise with exercise and or stress, as well it should return to baseline when the exercise is ceased or the stress is reduced.
I hope this information is useful. Information provided in the heart forum is for
general purposes only.  Only your physician can provided specific diagnoses and therapies.
Feel free to write back with further questions. Good luck!

That is all the information I can give you Thom, the rest is up to you.  And please keep in mind that this is an informational forum, not a diagnostic one.