Heart Disease Expert Forum
Arrhythmia: SVT? AFib? when I bend over

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Arrhythmia: SVT? AFib? when I bend over

I am 43 years old and have experienced SVT type symptoms for a few years.  About 4 years ago I had an event that degenerated to Afib, and have been on Diltiaz type meds, low dose for about 3 years.  I am generally very healthy otherwise, except for occasional asthma.  My symptoms have even decreased since I have been on a more regimented exercise schedule.  However, the last couple of days, after coming back from a weekend away, every time I bend over, beginning about mid-morning, my heart flutters into an aberrant rhythm, similar to SVT, maybe palpitation like as well.  It doesn't ever last more than a minute or two, but is quite disconcerting.  Why would this come on all of a sudden?
It's unknown but that is the natural progression of these rhythms.  In the setting of atrial fibrillation for example, it always tends to get worse over time.  I am not sure if this truly is AF, but if it so you should strongly consider further evaluation with a holter or an event monitor.  These symptoms may also be due to palpitations resulting from skipped heart beat or PAC's and those are quite sporadic and relatively unpredictable.  Of course those are more benign rhythms, however, there is no way to distinguish them from AF based on Sx alone.      
-5 Comments
My last 3 episodes of PSVT and my only episode of paroxsymal afib to date all began suddenly when bending over fully at the waist to pick something up. Each episode began immediately upon bending over. I can't believe at this point that it is coincidental. You may think..well what about all those times I bent over and *didn't* develop an arrhythmia? Because of a lower back problem, I rarely bend over at the waist because it is painful to do so. The few times I have bent over fully in the past few years I have experienced at least some ectopic beats. At this point, I just don't bend over any more! When I mentioned this to the ER docor treating me for the afib, he laughed as if I had said something ridiculous. A number of other people in afib support groups have mentioned this as well. They theorize it has something to do with vagal nerve stimulation.
Thank you for the comments.  Yes, what you say is in line with what I have experienced over the years.  In my research yesterday I also came across a thread of comments connecting gastrointestinal issues with arrhythmia.  And, once again, many doctors laughing off  the theoretical connection between the two.  I look forward to more communication!

A related discussion, Arrhythmia when I bend forward was started.