Heart Disease Community
Arrhythmia

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Arrhythmia

Hi. I went to the doctor for a check up last week. He checked my heart and said that I have signs of a arrhythmia. So he did a EKG test (I think that's what its called.) He noticed that my heart was skipping beats. He said it wasn't anything serious, but I should go see a heart specialist. He also said that kids my age shouldn't be having arrhythmias. (I'm only 19) So a week later I go to the specialist and wear a twenty four hour heart monitor. Then I go back and he shows me the paper with my heart beats. It starts off with a really big skip then it goes shorter and shorter and at the end it's almost two heart beats at the same time. There were some heart beats that dropped below the line. He said it's almost like my heart is competing with itself. I have some more tests I have to do...but I was wondering if this is really serious or something I shouldn't be worried about. I am also really out of breath when I walk upstairs or play with my sister. I'm not out of shape though...so I thought that was really weird. Oh the check up doctor said that last time I was there he didnt notice the heart skipping and said it was something I developed over time. If you can please give me some advice that would be great. Thank you so much!
First off, any one, any age can have arrhythmias. It's not likely a young person would have clogged arteries but an electrical problem can come at any age. If it makes you feel any better, I've had various arrhythmias all my life and I'm almost 57. Nice to know I'm still kicking, huh?

I'm glad you're getting your heart checked out. If you have questions or don't understand what they're telling you, be brave and ask them to explain. Sometimes doctors are in a hurry, rattle off info and walk out. And when you get some feedback about your heart, come on back here and we can encourage you, fill in some blanks and explain how we live with our own funny heart beats.

irene
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
So discouraged
15 hrs ago by Margot49
Dalubaba commented on Des_a_rae's status
How Bad Science and Big Business Cr...
Aug 02 by gymdandee