Heart Disease Expert Forum
Arrythmias and synthroid
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Arrythmias and synthroid

Hi:

I have had svt's and pvc's for the past 2 years and recently had to have the right lobe of my thyroid removed.  I am now told that I need to go on synthroid.  This makes me nervous because I'm told that synthroid can cause palpatations.  

1) Does this always happen or only if you take too much synthroid?
2) How soon after starting the synthroid will I have palpatations if I'm going to get them (how long does it take to build up levels in your blood)?
3) Is it possible to avoid the problem if I work up to the required dose very slowly and if so, do you have any idea, for example, how long I should take .025mg before I move up to .05mg?
4) Could an underactive thyroid cause pvc's or svt's?

I appreciate your help, this is making me very nervous.