Heart Disease Community
Artery Block

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Artery Block

Doc Said Have a Silent Heart Attack thats y mine lower area of Heart is Damage.................my artery is completely block.............i just wana Know that is that damage is Recoverable or Repairable? ............and also how much it is dangerous?
Once heart muscle dies, it unfortunately never recovers. If depends on how much tissue has died that determines how much it will affect the function of your heart, and the long term prognosis. I think you would be best to ask these questions of your cardiologist because he has all the details.
Based on your doctor's analysis of the lower area of the heart is damaged there must have been an echocardiogram.  If not, that is the proper test to evaluate the degree of damage: whether the left ventgricle is enlarged, heart wall movement impairment, ejection fraction (amount of blood pumped with each heartbeat), etc.

I had a silent heart attack several years ago. The underlying cause was lack of adequate blood flow to a section of the heart and that impaired heart wall movement (hypokinesis) and the hypokinesis reduced the force to adequately contract and pump blood into circulation. My therapy has reduced the heart size, revitialized heart cells, and the ejection fraction has returned to normal. My LAD is totally blocked as well, but the body system can compensate by developing collateral vessels to feed into the deficit areas, etc.  It is obvious you have collateral vessels otherwise you wouldn't be able or around to ask any questions.

My damaged heart cells are recognized by the medical community as having been in hibernation...meaning not functioning been alive with a low oxygen level. Or there can be necrotic heart cells that are unable to be revitalized.  I am referring to ischemic heart attack (low oxygen) and not heart muscle disease from disease, etc. If cells are hibernating, then possible complete recovery with adequate blood flow, otherwise there may not be complete recovery.

Also, your post indicates the lower portion of the heart has the damage.  The lower portion does not normally provide much contractility to pump so hypokinesis or akinesis may have very little effect and not lower the ejection fraction to any degree that is harmful.  

Thanks for sharing and if youy have any further questions or comments you are welcome to respond. Take care,

Ken

Indications for Study

The Patient was referred because of Ischemic heart disease Presented by unstable Angina. The Procedure was explained in detail to the patients. Risks, Complications and alternative treatnebts were reviewed. Written consent was obtained.

Procedure:
The patient was taken into the Cardiac Catherization Laboratory and Prepared in the usual Sterile fashion. Arterial access was obtained using the right femoral artery. A left heart cath was performed. Selective Left and Right Coronary angiography was performed.

Equipment:     JL 4, JR4, GW

Access:       Right Femoral

Contrast:   Ultravest                                                           Volume: 100

Hemodynamic Data: (mmHg)

Aorta                                                                   LV
                 S  /  D  /  M                                                        S   /  EDP

Pre – Angio
Post – Angio

Coronary Anatomy Findings

Dominance:         RCA.

LM:                     Normal LM

RAMUS:

LAD:                   Normal

LCX:                    Normal

RCA:                   Dominent Vessel. Normal

LVEF:                  40%

LV Function:     Inferior apical akinesia

Graft Study:

Conclusion:
Normal Coronary Vessel. Mild to Moderate LV Dysfunction.

Recommendation:
Medical Follow Up
Q: "Normal Coronary Vessel. Mild to Moderate LV Dysfunction".

...An angiography is to view the vessels for any blockage.  Conclusion is no vessel blockage seen with the the test.  There is some indication the left ventricle (pumping chamber) wall has some rigidity that impairs adequate filling (LV diastole dysfunction).  Also, the impaired heart muscle may not contract forcefully and that would indicate and explain the 40% ejection fraction (normal is 50 to 70%).  

Inferior apical akinesia is necroted heart cells is the location of damage.  The 40% EF seems to indicate only a minor size of the infarct.  An EF of 40% can be conpensated by other cardiovascular factors and not seriously limit activites. My EF at one time was below 29% (heart failure range...oxygenated blood supplied does not meet the demand for good functionality).  With medication and a stent, the heart cells were revitalized and my EF is now normal.  My heart condition was due to ischemia...low blood supply due to vessel blockage.

Hope this provides a perspective and helps you when consulting your doctor.  

Ken

Kindly tell me how much is this Dangerous?
It is not dangerous in the sense of a fatal disease.  It appears your heart is weaker than normal, and that may limit your tolerance for stressful activities or may not.  With appropriate treatment, there may not be any progression of heart cell damage and a possible improvement in the EF. Many individuals do well with a lower than normal EF.

The report states normal Coronary Vessel and that is inconsistant with a totally occluded vessel!?  Rigidity of heart walls may have few things that should be considered. High blood pressure that is the most common cause of DD, also the cause can be coronary artery disease (occluded vessels) and treatable.

An aerobic exercise can improve the diastolic function of your heart, and you should consult with your doctor the best exercise for your condition...an exercise program can be very useful and a possibility of substantial recovery to increased EF and/or increase the heart's compensitory cardiovascular system.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Thnks Alot.....................it is really appreciating
Dear,

Lastly had done pro bnp test.

test result is 164.4 pg/ml

Plz tell me is it dangerous?