Heart Disease Expert Forum
Arythmias

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Arythmias

I am 44 years old male have never smoked and may be 20 lbs over weight and have known of my mitral reguritation for 16 years but in the last 6 months I have started with some atrial fib. which lasts about 2 days.  Since my first known or diagnosed time with atrial fib., which was about 4 weeks ago, I was hospitalized and stayed 2 days and they put me on Liquibid, tiazac, magox, avapro, Lanoxin, coumadin and xanax. (My current medications does not include Lanoxin) From that point on I was advised to have surgery to repair this valve but now comes the questions.  Since my first afib I have been having a lot of arythmias and some are afib and some are bigimini, among others, well this is hard to tell for some of this is by my feeling of what is occuring.  Before this first afib I would get arythmias but they were usually very short duration, minutes and then they were over and then I may get them like this for weeks and then it may be 3 months before I get any more.  Now they are daily and one of the only thing that will get rid of them is to do the valsava techneque, (I find I don't have to be seated when doing this but is better when I do) but they disapear almost right after I do this each time.  What is happening when I do this since it works allmost allways?  Any answers to why I started with all these arythmias, maybe medication, stress, ? Last question is they are wanting to do a minimal invasive technique, are there any more or less risks with this and after either surgery do these arythmias usually stop and how do people feel inregard to their physical feeling.  Sorry for the length,  and thanks for this site, I will continue reading your archive files. Oh, prior to this occuring I noticed that my breathing was getting progressively worse but due suffer with allergies as well, the liquibid did seem to help.
The arrythmia problems are likely due to the valve disorder. Surgical repair should keep things from getting worse. Many patients find the surgery decreases or eliminates the arrythmia, but there is no way to guarantee that the arrrythmia wil definitely go away. Minimally invasive surgery is a valid option if it is performed at a center with expertise in this area. You should be prepared for the possibility that the surgery will be converted to the standard procedure in the operating room if the surgeon feels that this is necessary. Many atrial arrythmia respond to the valsalva maneuver, though atrial fibrillation does not usually.
1 Comment
A related discussion, help was started.