Heart Disease Expert Forum
Aspirin Discontinuation prior to Cataract Surgery
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Aspirin Discontinuation prior to Cataract Surgery

Dear CCHC,

In 1997 I underwent a stentless angioplasty on my LAD because of a heart attack.  Presently my daily dosages of medication constist of atenolol(50mg), vasotec(20mg), hydrochlorothiazide(25mg), imdur(30mg, lipitor(20mg), and aspirin(81mg).  Each year since my angioplasty I have had excellent results with my annual cardiolite stress test.  They have all been normal and similar.  I also jog 30 minjutes daily.
Shortly I am going to undergo cataract surgery and the eye doctor has requested that I stop taking the aspirin(81mg) for seven days prior to the surgery and that I should not take the hydrochlorothiazide(25mg) the morning of the surgery.  The day after the cataract surgery I would then continue my daily aspirin and my daily hydrochlorothiazide.  Is this a typical request for this type of surgery?

Thanks,
Cody