Heart Disease Community
Asprin Allergy

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Asprin Allergy

Had a heart attack, and stent put in for blockage. Need to go to an Allergy Immunologist about an asprin allergy. Need to take asprin with Plavax, or therapy won't work as per Dr.  What can the allergist do for me?
Tags: Allergy
I am not sure if the therapy would or wouldn't work without aspirin.  I have never heard this before.  I know it has been suggested I take Plavix and aspirin.  I don't take the Plavix for personal reasons, and I always forget my aspirin.  I did some goggling and found this bit in an article.  It suggests that Plavix is an alternative.  Not sure if that is correct or not.

"If you’ve already had a heart attack or stroke or are resistant to the beneficial effects of aspirin, your doctor may suggest supplementary aspirin therapy with another clot-preventing drug, such as clopidogrel (Plavix). Clopidogrel may even be suggested as an alternative drug therapy, particularly if you’re allergic to aspirin or can’t tolerate its side effects."

Maybe someone will be able to add a thought or 2.  Take care and keep us posted.  This is something I would like to see an answer to.  Ally
I can't think what the allergy specialist can do apart from confirm if you are allergic to aspirin or not. Perhaps this is what the cardiologist wants to be certain of. There are other blood thinning drugs out there. Plavix is the important one for the stent, but you need something else to ensure you dont clot anywhere else. What does aspirin actually do to you?
The Asprin causes , swelling of the cornea of my eyes,(blurred vision), itching, asthma like symptoms, and rash.