Atenolol & weight gain
I've been on 25 mg Atenolol, 20 mg enalapril and 25 mg HCTZ for about 10 years. At that time, my bp was about 150/90 with a heart rate of 80-90.   I noticed an immediate weight gain, then went through menopause and gained another 13 lb. For the past 6 monhs, I've been watching what I eat and exercise almost every day and 3 days with a trainer.  On the meds, my BP is about 117/60 or 70 something.  I tried a wean by cutting the atenolol in half.  My bp was the same as with the 25 mg.  Then, I tried a week off entirely and had the same lower bp.  Now, 2 weeks into no atenolol, my exercise tolerance is not what it used to be.  For the first time in 10 years, I managed to get my heart rate up while doing cardio to about 156 bpm.  Since I'm not used to this higher bpm, I felt a little queezy, so I stopped the exercise that day.  I was wondering if this is just an adjustment, or what.  
Atenolol - The beta blocker blues !!  
all beta blocker medications have a known side effect - as waight gain ,some work slow
and some fast or rapid - I was on Atenolol for about 4 years in the 80s  gained about
8 pounds and bloated up when eatting normal foods.  I just got off Toprol xl  after 6years
and I gained a total of 18 pounds while on it , I ate like a bird - and healthy foods..
no junk foods !   its a sad thing, that happens to about 90% of people on these beta blockers.  

I also tryed loosing waight - walking, Running,  sit ups !  eatting less and better foods
however beware, if your on beta blocker , you can loose the waight sometimes.. but
while on it, it will return.  they are Nasty drugs !
I gained alot fast.......sucks