Heart Disease Expert Forum
Atenolol and Edema

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Atenolol and Edema

37 y/o good health, taking 25 mg Atenolol daily. For the past 3-4 weeks, I began having muscle/joint pain in hips, knees, shoulders..etc. and swelling (edema)in my feet and ankles.  Blood work has all come back fine. In the past week, I also noticed that I am experiencing panic symptoms (which was a major reason why I started the Atenolol approx 5 yrs ago). I have not had any panic symptoms since being on Atenolol 5 yrs ago.
I noticed that when I picked up my meds at the pharmacy, it says to notify my doctor if swelling in feet or hands.
Could I possibly have to increase my Atenolol dosage? Could my meds cause the joint pain as well?
Could it be time to change meds?
BigE,

Thanks for the post. The main concern for swelling with beta-blockers is the retention of fluid because of changes in heart function associated with the beta blocker. Given the pain and more inflammatory sounding nature of your complaints and your duration of therapy, i doubt its related to the beta blocker.

on a side note, some other beta blockers are thought to have a little more central calming effects as opposed to atenolol. Mainly propranolol and metoprolol.

good luck
Thanks for the response. The fact that I am now returned to having signs again (clenching teeth, sweating, feeling of impending doom, panic)which I have not had for almost 5 yrs since taking my 25 mg of Atenolol- could that mean that I need to have my med increased?  Or possibly change to a different medication?  THe swelling in my feet has subsided, although the foot pain and other muscle/joint pain comes and goes.
I appreciate your comments!
Through my own internet searching, I realized that because I had giardia last December and also 2 years prior- it may be causing the joint pain/swelling as well as other symptoms that my physician has not been able to diagnose as of yet.
I had no idea that giardia could remain in your system long after treatment and cause such problems.
I am going back to my physician tomorrow to have him followup on this.
What are your thoughts on this?