Heart Disease Expert Forum
Atenolol question

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Atenolol question

Posted by Amy on June 15, 1999 at 15:06:10
Is atenolol a potassium sparing drug?  I take 50 mg daily in two 25 mg doses a day.  I enjoy eating a large amount of fruit, especially in the morning and am concerned about a potassium "overdose".  

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD JMF on June 15, 1999 at 16:28:31
Dear Amy,

Atenolol is not a potassium sparing medication.  As long as your kidneys are functioning normally, you should have no problem with atenolol.  I hope this has been useful. I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to write back.
Information provided here is for general purposes only. Specific questions should be addressed to your own doctor. If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter. The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.

Posted by Sheri on June 27, 1999 at 18:39:35
My doctor just persrcribed atenol to me.  I originally was suppose to start taking it back in January.  After being on it for a day (50 mg) I felt very light headed.  I told my doctor that I haven't been on it since then.  He told me to take 1/2 of the pill.  I am taking the medication for PVC's.  I asked him how long I should stay on the medication.  He told me to stay on it for a year until my next checkup.  Is this common?  Are there any side affects with this medication?  Can it damage my kidneys or liver?  Could I take this medication if I had a run of PVC's instead of everyday?  I like to excercise and I think that was one of the reasons my doctor wanted me on it everyday.  Because when I excercise, sometimes my PVC's tend to get worse.  Thank you for your help.

Posted by CCF CARDIO MD JMF on July 09, 1999 at 14:26:38
Dear Sherri,
Thank you for your question.  I would probably cut back on your dose after discussing this with your physician.
In general, it is best to take these medications daily if tolerated.
Information provided here is for general educational purposes only. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and
treatments. If you would like to be seen at the Cleveland Clinic, please Call 1 - 800 - CCF - CARE for an appointment at
Desk F15 with a cardiologist