Aa
A
A
Close
Atenolol vs metoprolol
I have been on atenolol for 4 years now. Recently found out that I do not have mitral valve prolapse but I do have some premature beats that are causing my increased heart rates. Because of trying to become pregnant my doctor wanted me off of the Atenolol and on a safer medication. Though I do not have any specific problem requiring medication I do feel better on it than I do off. I do not like the palpitations and raised heart rate that I get off of my medication. Anyways, she wants me on metoprolol tartrate. Because I have been on the atenolol for 4 years I have concerns. Will this medication treat me the same as the atenolol. Is there a posibility of not being able to take this medication. Does it have the same action as the atenolol? I appreciate and thank whatever answers I can get. Right now I am trying to lower myself off the atenolol. Taking a half every other night. Tonight will be my 2nd night. I am just concerned with changing over. Worried about a reaction and how I will feel. Thank you.
Cancel
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
googled atenolol vs metoprolol = http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1498463
If you have concerns one of the best to ask is your pharmacist.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
I have been taking metoprolol . Started about 7 years ago.100 mg /day Never had any problem. Never had experience with atenolol.
I was taking coreg before metopolol for a few months. Was told Metoprolol is the best for the long run.
Good luck to you!
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Thank you both for your responses.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Top Heart Disease Answerers
159619 tn?1318997813
Blank
Salt Lake City, UT
11548417 tn?1440481484
Blank
Netherlands