Heart Disease Expert Forum
Atrial Bigeminy

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Atrial Bigeminy

I am a 22 y/o female and I recently had a halter monitor put on for 24 hours. My heart often skips beats and it happens very frequently.  I just received the results of that and the diagnosis was 'atrial bigeminy.'  My doctor was not clear on what this was exactly and couldn't tell me for sure if it was life threatening and had no remedies for it.  She said it runs in families, but no other member of my family experiences this.
  Could you clarify what exactly this is and what can be done about it.  Are my chances for a stroke or heart attack increased?  How can I avoid either of these?  Should I even worry about it?

Dear April, thank you for your question.  Atrial bigeminy is a heart rhythm that involves a pairing of a premature atrial beat with a regular sinus beat.  This rhythm can be chronic or intermittent, but should not put you at risk for a stroke and should not be life threatening.  Atrial bigeminy is considered to be one of the