Heart Disease Community
Atrial Fibrillation & Stomach Gas, Digestive Tract Problems?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Viewing 201-287 comments:
Hi! Gavriella_M, My name is Marina & I just wanted to tell you about my experience if it would help in anyway. I was diagnosed with AFib in 1996 & had a Cather Ablation in January, 2010. I have always noticed that foods are a trigger for AFib. Certain one by themselves & some in combination. Sugar, Chocolate, Caffeine, eating late @ night or too close before going to bed. I can't eat tomatoes either & you mentioned eating tomatoes. They are very acidic & depending on what's going on in your intestinal tract will cause that Vagus Nerve to Party Hardy @ your expense. You may want to consider backing up off of the tomatoes as well. Just a thought. When I notice I'm having heartburn or Gerd I buy Alkaline water & drink that for a spell & it calms my stomach down. May be it balances the acidity. I'm not sure. There are several companies that make it. I drink Eternal Water. I've tried several form the store. Everything has it's pro's & cons. Some people will say it doesn't work but I try things & if I notice a difference then I go with it because it can't hurt. I can't eat peppers. They come back afterwards. It seems there is so much I ca't eat anymore. It's frustrating & it makes me depressed at times but not having another episode outweighs the frustration. I'm in my late 50's so I have to be extremely disciplined & cautious with everything I eat. I avoid going out sometimes to friends functions where there is food because no one understands & I don't like having to explain & they don't believe me, think I'm being a drama queen but no one who has not had an AFib episode for hours or even days will understand what AFibers go through. It's Frightening to say the least. I hope this helps & if you have any other questions about my experience you can email me @ ***@****. Peace & Good Health for you in '2012...
Hi Buckeye5742 and whoever else this may help.... This is my first time reading the comments on this site!  I can totally relate and you are not alone and it does help to have a support system and to talk to other people who may be going through the same thing.  I chuckled when I read your post saying you are your own worst enemy because of getting nervous.  I too have felt this and now I just go with it because I don't want to give myself a heart attack :)  Matter of fact, I am doing more research because I have been skipping all day today and thought I was done with it for good.
Here's my story....December 6th I finally went to the ER after having what they call fluttering.  I have had PVC's (premature ventricular contractions) on and off for the last 10 years.  My Mom has them and so does my daughter and an aunt.  Well it all started with heartburn for two days and lots of gas.  Then the skipping and then fluttering.  I just thought my PVC's were getting worse.  After five days of the fluttering on and off, chest heaviness, heartburn and gas, and shortness of breath, I decided I better have it checked it out.  On my way to the hospital the fluttering was getting worse.  They did an EKG and said something about A-FIB.  I was kept overnight for observation and during my stay, the fluttering got so bad and my heart started racing.  It was picked up on the heart monitor and they did another EKG which reflected definite A-FIB.  They gave me Cardizem via the IV and my rhythm became normal after only 5 minutes! The fluttering was gone and I felt like nothing had ever happened!  Had a stress test and an echo and those tests were fine.  They checked thyroid and that was normal.  I am on oral dose of 180mg. of Cardizem daily which seems to help.  I was put on a heart monitor for 30 days and they did detect Premature Atrial Contractions.  Guess I am going to have to deal with it for the rest of my life.  I am really trying to get healthy.  I have always ate natural and organic foods.  I am overweight by about 60 pounds (quit smoking 4 years ago and gained some weight), now have Type 2 Diabetes which is diet controlled.  Have had high blood pressure for 6 years which is controlled by meds.  They want to check me for Sleep Apnea for a mild disorder.  Experts have found a correlation between A-Fib and thyroid issues, Diabetes, Sleep Apnea and High Blood Pressure.  I was extremely scared when this all started happening to me.  I have been on a Eat-Clean Diet by Tosca Reno since last Feb. and have lost 15 lbs.  I don't drink soda only water and have decaf coffee or tea.  I think eating some dark chocolate contributed to my skipping today because of the caffeine.  It is so frustrating to say the least!  I am also thinking that there may be some correlation between hormone imbalances and A-FIB.  I do believe it is great to research and gather as much information as possible.  I do have a great primary doctor now.  He put me on Prilosec which does help with all the gas.  He thinks I may have Gert as well.  He said the skipping/fluttering could happen because of the gas build-up can put an upward pressure towards the heart. Makes sense to me!  I also wanted to add that anyone who drinks alcohol should try to stop if you have A-Fib.  The night before I went into the ER I had 3 ultra light beers and they said alcohol can have an effect.  I only used to drink about 3-4 beers a week. Now  I don't drink any.  I also am going to try to eliminate dairy from diet to see if that helps with the gas.  Thank you everyone for posting comments.  It really helps!  Good health and blessings! Kathy
I have been following this forum for some time and it contains a lot of information that relates to my situation with atrial fibrillation (afib) triggered by upper GI gas.

I am a 71-year-old male who was diagnosed with paroxysmal afib 14 years ago.  I tried to convince the cardiologist who made that diagnosis that it was connected to my digestive tract, but he insisted that there was no connection.  The cardiologist prescribed Toprol (Metoprolol) and Coumadin (Warfarin). I have since learned that it is not uncommon for afib to be triggered by problems with the digestive tract.  My current cardiologist and electrophysiologist (ep doc) acknowledge that they have seen a number of patients with afib that is triggered by upper GI gas or bloat.  

My frequent upper GI gas is most likely being caused by a hiatal hernia. The presence of a hiatal hernia was determined by an endoscopy.   I take a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) daily and try to avoid foods and beverages that cause upper GI gas.  However, I still get a lot of gas, and gas is the trigger of over 90 % of my afib events.

SIMETHICONE  -  In addition of avoiding certain foods and beverages that cause upper GI gas, I have determined that taking products containing simethicone very quickly at the onset of the gas can stop my afib from being triggered.  I use the following three products that contain simethicone: 1) Mylanta that contains 80mg of simethicone per tablespoon; 2) Gas-X tablets that contain 125mg of simethicone per tablet; and 3) Phazyme softgel capsules that contain 180mg of simethicone per capsule.  I find that taking about 4 or 5 tablespoons of Mylanta very quickly is effective at reducing the gas.  When I am not at home, I chew and swallow 3 or 4 Gas-X tables very quickly and this is fairly effective at reducing the gas.  Swallowing 2 or 3 Phazyme capsules is effective but it takes a lot longer to reduce the gas compared to either Mylanta or Gas-X.  A cheaper alternative to Mylanta is Equate Maximum Strength Antacid (sold at Walmart) that contains 80mg of simethicone per tablespoon.  A cheaper alternative to Gas-X is Equate Extra Strength Gas Relief (sold at Walmart) that contains 125mg of simethicone per tablet.

ANTIARRHYTHMIC DRUGS  -   After taking Toprol for a few years, I started getting more afib events and I was prescribed Rythmol (Propafenone).  Rythmol was fairly effective in reducing my afib events for a few years and then the afib events started increasing, and eventually the Rythmol became proarrhythmic.  Then, I was prescribed Pacerone (Amiodarone).  Pacerone was fairly effective in reducing my afib events, but it eventually caused hyperthyroidism. It took several months to cure the hyperthyroidism.  This turned out to be one of the worst periods of my life because the hyperthyroidism caused insomnia for several months.  Insomnia is a terrible condition to live with.  I have extreme sympathy for anyone living with insomnia.  After my bad experience with Pacerone, I was prescribed Betapace (Sotalol).  This required a 3-day stay in the hospital to determine the correct dosage.  Betapace made me feel like a zombie.  I walked around on the verge of fainting all the time.  When the FDA finally approved Multaq (Dronedarone), I was prescribed this drug as an alternative to Betapace.  Multaq has been somewhat of a disappointment to me.  It doesn't seem to be that effective in reducing afib events.  My ep doc has talked to me about Tikosyn, but I am reluctant to try it after reading about some of the problems that people have had with the drug.  Like Sotalol, Tikosyn must be started in a hospital, and that immediately raises a red flag to me.  If a drug is that risky, do I need it?  

ABLATIONS  -  I have had 2 Pulmonary Vein Isolation (PVI) ablations.  Both of these PVI ablations were unsuccessful.  My ep doc has discussed trying another ablation, but I think I will pass on it.  After having no improvement with two procedures, I am reluctant to try it again.  

PACEMAKER  -  When I was recovering from my second ablation in the cardiac telemetry ward in the hospital, I experienced an eye-opening event.  Following the ablation I was going in and out of afib.  It is my understanding that this is not unusual following an ablation procedure.  Well, in the early morning following the ablation procedure I was in afib and I was awake.  All of a sudden, a couple of nurses came running down the hall and into my room with a defibrillator.  They were about to give me a jolt when they realized that I was in normal sinus rhythm (NSR), and I asked them what was going on.  They said my heart had stopped for about 10 seconds during the conversion from afib to NSR.  They decided to put a couple of patches (electrodes) on my chest just in case it happened again.  Well, it didn't happen again.  This event was recorded on the telemetry equipment and a few hours later when my ep doc visited me, he told me that I needed a pacemaker because one of these days my heart may not restart.  The type of pacemaker that the ep doc implanted is the type that is given to patients with bradycardia (very slow heartbeats).  When the pacemaker sees a very long interval after a beat, it applies a pulse that causes a beat.  So, during the conversion from afib to NSR when I have one of these long intervals without a heartbeat, the pacemaker pulses and causes a beat.  In addition to the protection that I get during the conversion from afib to NSR, the pacemaker has made a big difference in making an afib event much more tolerable because it pulses when there are long intervals between beats. I just don't feel as washed out with the pacemaker when I have afib compared to afib without the pacemaker.  I have found the pacemaker to be my greatest asset in dealing with afib.  Having a pacemaker is not intrusive at all and after a while, you don't even realize you have had one implanted.

BLOOD THINNERS  -  I have been on Warfarin for 14 years and I don't feel that it has caused any great burden to my life.  A lot of people have issues with bruising and bleeding when taking Warfarin, but I haven't found it be the case with me.  The only issues that I have with Warfarin is the periodic blood tests and the requirement to reduce the International Normalized Ratio (INR) when having a surgical procedure and then getting the INR back within a desired range after the procedure.  I have decided to defer changing to Pradaxa (new blood thinning drug that does not require periodic blood tests) until more is learned about the long-term effects of the drug.

CONCLUSION  -  I have found that paroxysmal afib is something that a person can live with even though it presents some inconveniences to your life.  My advice to anyone dealing with afib is to become informed.  Read a lot of information provided by professionals and, in particular, read about the experiences of people afflicted with afib.  There is a wealth of information on the internet about afib; just do enough research to separate fact from fiction.  Seek out a good cardiologist and/or ep doc.  If you are unhappy with a doctor because they are in too much of a hurry to push you out the door, or you believe they are not giving you good advice, move on to another one.
Its been at least a few weeks since I've signed on.  Wow, more great post!  Iceberg thanks for the info and break down.  While I do not believe many healthy individuals need take the routes you have had to endure its certainly welcome information.  I never want to say for example ablations don't work since everyone is unique and its between God, them, their doctor and a choice they ultimately will have to make especially since it is an obvious and easy go to option that many doctors fall back on when afib is present and being caused for reasons unknown.  For me my personal thought is that its burning heart tissue (I don't think that's very good) and its a crap shoot that often can make things worse.  I'm not a doctor but I can say these things from the experience of knowing a few people that have had it done (all unsuccessfully).  The hiatal hernia is a good point and definitely contribute to afib symptoms.  Worth looking into if your a person suffering with afib with no other apparent medical cause.  The medications can have application but as you pointed out their effectiveness can vary greatly and the side effects can be horrendous.  My school of thought on drugs is that the only side effect worth mentioning is the side effect of whether they'll actually work and give relief for a particular prescribed condition.  Yea I know doctors might get mad at me if they read this but I don't care.  The FDA & medical community wants us all to believe that making changes to our eating habit's, taking a more active holistic approach and using what God and nature gave us and intended for us that its often thought of quackery or unconventional, etc.  In my view its just the opposite.  Like I said medications have their practical applications.  Example: someone perhaps that has abused themselves for years knowingly and or unknowingly to such an extent what seems out of the blue there are blood clots that formed making a heart attack or stroke imminent then I say use the blood thinning clot busting drugs to circumvent the problem.  Don't hand them out like candy to individuals that are obviously healthy only because its the easy thing to do.  Look into it and look into from every angle.  When something medically cannot be found go into the persons life style and eating habit's etc., that may be contributing if not causing the symptoms.  We have to take responsibility for ourselves and become informed and aware of what we're doing to ourselves on a daily basis and that the discipline of certain life style changes can mean the world of difference.  Its troubling that on top of all our own abuses there are other more insidious things going on that contribute without our even knowing.  For example much of our food supply has been grossly prepared and contaminated by unscrupulous manufacturing practices.  We now face a big problem with GMO (genetically modified foods) and these have all proven to cause all sorts of illnesses or symptoms of illness and disease including digestive tract problems like ibs and leaky gut.  That's on top of all the other dyes, preservatives and chemicals that go into them not to mention the packaging.  Our water supply has been intentionally and non intentionally contaminated with chemical pollutants such as fluoride which they all tried (pretty successfully I may ad) to convince us that its good for us and because we as a society have become so chemically and drug dependent that many drugs have now found their way into our water supplies both from run off and even urine of people which water plants are not capable of handling or filtering out.  Then ad the every day stresses of life and it all ads up to a mess.  People wonder why diseases like autism or MS is becoming so prevalent in our society where it was almost unheard of many years ago?  I went on a ramble here but if no one believes that afib for many can be caused by such things as inflammation, acid over load, toxins, increase of bacteria, parasites, viruses from the above and abuses to our digestive tract and bodies then they are sadly mistaken.  For many unfortunately there are no symptoms until the body has become so over whelmed that it ultimately can come down to what seems to be no other alternative or options for them like medicines and surgeries and more misery.  Sad.  Sorry for the rant but again thanks everyone for your insights, information and sharing your experiences.  People do read and benefit from them.  You made the blog all the richer for your contribution.  -Rich-
go to    theonlineconference.com   I found alot of help  there. listen to the 1-10 video's.
I agree wholeheartedly. Up until Dec.1st. I pretty much felt like a normal person despite having had a pancreas transplant in 2006. I ate some ham from Aldi's and within 5 minutes started having a hot burning rash on my face and thought I was going to burn up. I have since become allergic to nitrates, and msg. Never had much of a problem before. I have a rise in blood pressures and heart rates after eating. I have been living off of rice products and instant mashed potatoes. I get a burning tongue every so often after touching my neck of all things. I have to have a fine needle aspiration to check a thyroid nodule on friday. I've had just about every test imagineable with all the same replies. "We don't know" Thanks to this website I at least don't feel alone anymore. I even had a reaction to calcium chloride in a can of snap peas which I've eaten my whole life. It all started dec. 1st after that ham. All sorts of allergy tests says I'm not allergic to anything. But had a bad reaction to chicken gravy from the jar, has MSG in it. Wish I lived in australia where it's illegal to have MSG in a product. It ***** to have a burning face all the time. I tried some brocolli today and I've been burning ever since even though I took claritin, now I feel like I'm starving to death. Geez, such hell. Thanks again for the website. Linda
Found out I had a toxic thyroid with cancer. Suffered from it for 4 years. It wasn't food allergies but histamine inflammation in the thyroid.
Hi! I hope some of my information will be of some help to someone. As we all have different systems, DNA, etc I realize some things work for some people & others no. Such as the OTC for Digestive issues. I had a Catheter Ablation in January of 2010. It took a few months before I was AFib free but that's another story I won't explain right now as I want to tell you about having Afib again beginning more frequently since Sept, 2011. Prior to that I had an AFib episode once or twice but I caused it by drinking alcohol which I can not do any more so I've quit altogether. If I'm invited out & a friend/friends say "would you like a drink"? I say, "No, I don't drink" & I don't feel pressure anymore about saying that. AFib episodes versus a Drink well I did the math & I Like feeling Good. I'm a Better person when I do. So here recently I've had a few episodes & as many of you have mentioned the digestive issues perhaps being the root of the issue then the ❤ itself I have found the same in my own experiences. Some of you may be aware of "Candida Albicans". http://www.holistichelp.net/candida-albicans.html  I don't have enough time to explain it but I'll post links so you can research & gather your own information as you read about it. THere is a test called the "SPIT TEST." Sounds gross but check out the link & how to do it. http://www.adhdrelief.com/CandidaTest.html  Ok! I just want you to know this is my experience. I'm not suggesting you all have Candida Albicans but it's possible some may. The diet is very restrictive but that versus feeling miserable & quite possibly having digestive disorders that can trigger AFib episodes? So I am lactose intolerant & when I had CA really bad a few months ago I stopped eating the slightest bit of cheese. Not even soy cheese. I also take Armour Thyroid for Hypothyroidism but that the extent of my meds. I experimented & I take Enzymes before I eat. THe name of the product I take is called Garden of Life "MEGA-ZYME. Here's a link just for your reference. I'm not trying to sell the product. Just so you know what it looks like in the store should you wish to try it. http://pureformulas.com/megazyme-original-100-tablets-by-enzymatic-therapy.html & I take a Probiotic before I go to bed @ night. Before when I had prescription meds the Dr. would prescribe Prevacid to take one in the am & one in the pm so I figured I would follow the same way the Dr. said to take it as it seems when you get older (I'm late 50's) what you do during the day waits to attack you during the night. I have terrible gas issues (that's why I can't get a date) :D. No seriously, between belching & flatulence I am the Queen if there were a contest but since taking the CA test which by the way I've had before in other times in my life, I had it really bad & I'm doing much better. I have to watch what I eat because food, alcohol & carbonated drinks will send me there. So I'm thinking & feeling if I'm careful about what I put in my stomach I basically can control not having AFib episodes. I had one, well I think I had one because this was more of a Vagal Nerve Episode that spasmed for 12 hours. It was different than an AFib episode in that my ❤ wasn't as effected but nonetheless left me in bed & having to stay @ a friends house until it passed because it wears & drains me so bad I can't get up or I get dizzy. The reason why this happened was because we were hangin' out the night before until 2am & there was a Truck outside the club selling New Orleans style Gumbo. My friend bought 2 containers. We went back t her house & she started eating it. I was famished. I know better than eat after 7pm but I tasted some of the sausage inside the gumbo. I thought I could handle it but it was spicy & set me off. It wasn't immediate. I fell asleep & about 5:30am I woke up right out of my sleep into Spasm mode for 12 hours. So what I'm saying is we all have the same common denominator in our analysis of digestion issues possibly playing a large role in the issues with AFib. I told my Dr. what was happening with my stomach & as someone said earlier in their posts when you mention digestive complaints possible having some correlation with Afib it falls on deaf ears. Drs. are specific in what they went to school to study but take them out of that square & they tell you "You need to see a Gastrointestinal Dr." They won't answer any other question regarding any other physical issue you may be having. I always say, "It's one body & everything works together." SOmeone mentioned smaller meals. Yes! I do that & it is definitely one of the ways to get things under control as far as digestion. Overeating is a big trigger for AFib. Definitely do Probiotics & look into ENzymes before you eat a meal. They don't have to be the one's I mentioned. Follow your own intuition for you body & listen to your body. It will signal you to pay attention. Something you already know. I'm just reaffirming. I also have Enzymes I take after a meal if I forget to take them before. They're a Vitamin Shoppe Brand called 'MULTI ENZYME." They are strictly for after you eat. The directions say & the other one's the directions say before a meal. I keep myself armed with these & take them with me if I'm eating out. Ok! I hope this helps someone. Take the "Spit Test." You can do it @ home & it's easy. Read up on "Candida Albicans" & just see. It can't hurt. It could help. God Bless & Happy Health ForEver to ALL of you...Peace! :)
More great info.  I already was under the belief that candida (yeast and fungus) could definately give us a hard time when present.  Its not easy to get rid of or get under control either but there are some natural products that usually do the trick.  Caprylic acid, grapefruit seed extract, cloves, crushed frsh garlic (about two teaspoons in warm water) etc.  The tough part about candida is that it is smart and adapts pretty quickly to what you throw at it making it resistant.  The best way is to cycle 4 days with one product then switch to another for 4 days and then another.  Usually milder cases can be cleared up in a week.  Initially you'll have some die off symptoms like headaches and almost flu like symptoms particularly if its a worse case but the relief afterwards is pretty noticeable.  Bloat is a key indicator you may have a candida problem.  Also supplement with enymes and probiotics as was mentione as these also help fight the candida and keep it in check.  Good info.  Keep em coming.
No symptoms? Having A fib is a symptom. Digestive issues do not just announce themselves. Symptoms in the digestive tract are very mild. You could have leaky gut as I do, you could have low digestive enzymes, parasites, and low acid like I do and have A fib all day and all night every day like I do and believe me the only possible source is digestion. Address the yeast, the parasites, the acid, the leaky gut and eventually it will change. I am currently treating myself with whole aloe leaf and it is stating to show I had severe digestive issues even though I had no symptoms other than the constant Afib.
37 yr old white male moderate health calls 911 one night after just finishing a movie leaned back to stretch in my ez chair and all hell broke loose my heart went nutz! the ambulance guy says WOW!  your heart is all over the place that he is gonna have to shock me. so after that fun night i schdule a cardiologist appt. he shoots from the hip and says i have afib.and refers me to meet with his electrocardiologist to talk about ablation. i think to myself hey shouldnt we do some tests? i ask him and he says yeah ok lets wear an event monitor for14 days. well after that great experience all the strips show sinus wave forms. he insists i see the electrocardiologist. she says from accross the room i need this ablation procedure. well on the way out of the office one of the back office secrataries tells me she has had 2 ablations and she still gets the palps and afib. so i decide to research it and i found this site and a few like it. i am disgusted by health care socalled proffesionals. if i ran my auto shop like this i would be out of business in a flash! my palps are more noticeable after i eat too much and lay down. also standing still is very hard after i eat too much, drink too much caffiene, eat any amount of msg, i feel like fainting. so i am planning on skipping the ablation procedure and just pay attn to what i eat and how much. thank you all for ur comments its helped me figure out whats really going on and avoiding the pitfall of modern day heath care providers.
My opinion is to be careful when a doctors right off the bat suggests ablation.  Particularly when they themselves don't even know whats going on and there have been few tests to determine it.  My opinion is the same as it has been. In probably more cases than not afib is probably brought on by digestive tract troubles.  Now if the doctors could do ablation on the colon and section that sets the nerve impulses off triggering afib then maybe they'd have something?  Certainly couldn't be any worse than taking a shot in the dark by burning heart nerves and heart tissue.  Yikes!
I have had AF for 3 and a half years now. I was put on medication, which helped. Was told it was caused by too high a dosage of Thyroxine (300mg per day), I am also on warfarin to stop the blood from clotting. I take the medication every day and mostly do not feel the flutters, however, I was getting them quite severly every now and again, and was convinced it was to do with the digestive system and stomach areas. Over a period of time, I realised that eating raw onions, (or even too many cooked ones) brought on a bout of atrial flutter. I am in AF at the moment, and have wrecked my brain to think what could have brought it on, and the only recent change in my diet is yellow plums. I love them and have eaten them for 3 days in a row and suffered badly with AF last night. I am still suffering, so will not have any more yellow plums and see if this helps. I did do a period of eating a TLC yogurt every day after my evening meal and this seemed to help enormously. I went for months not feeling the AF. Will have to return to the yogurts to prevent a recurrence of this horrible disease. I have also recently stopped using lo-salt and gone onto table salt, as the lo-salt apparently is very high in potassium, perhaps this too could be a cause of this bout of AF. Whatever it is, I just wish it would go away and stay away.
Its no mystery to me.  I have felt for a long time perhaps longer than most that its no coincidence between afib and it being brought on when symptoms of ibs, reflux, gas, bloat etc. exist.  However those are the symptoms.  Its what is causing these symptoms that is the perplexing part since there are many causes.  I think the number one cause is actually tied with another.  Thats poor diet and antibioics.  Even if you strive to eat a healthy diet today chances are its still a poor diet.  I would be hard pressed to believe that anyone that gets occasional afib and takes notice that it usually is accompanie by digestive symptoms mentioned above that at some point in their lives they were prescribed antibiotics.  Why is this important?  Antibiotics do their job very efficiently in killing off all kinds of bacteria and not just the ones their prescribed for such as bacterial infections but also the good kind.   It may take years for someone that was prescribed antibiotics to become symptomatic so how in the world would it even be a consideration in addressing the problem?  Science is just coming around to the conclusions that probiotics (good or friendly bacteria) are not only natural but absolutely necessary and beneficial to the body and your health.  It has been a long road with its ups and downs for me regarding afib and digestive woes.  Ive tried many things and had some relief thats lasted for 6 months or more but eventually the symptoms rear their ugly heads again and if I'm not on top of my game afib will follow.  I think one of the biggest problem for me is that I can not look inside myself where I feel the problem has been stemming from.  That is a region that is in (or on) the colon just below my left inner rib cage,  I'm thinking there is clearly some damage and sensitivity in there brought on by the aforementioned.  The next hurdle is how to sooth and heal something for which you don't really know the extent of the damage but can only feel it in the the way of symptoms and what do you do about it and what do you take or eat that will heal it completely if thats even possible?  This is where science and the medical community have to pull together to help find answers.  There are certainly enough cases out there for which they can test and experiment!  I feel bad when someone goes for ablation only to find it did not cure the afib and in some cases made things worse.  I have not yet heard of a specific case like mine that was cured of afib when an operations to cut out a small section of colon was found to be diseased or problematic but has cured digestive problems and cleared symptoms of ibs etc.  I'm willing to bet if they had the accompanying afib along with their digestive problems it would have?  Not wishing it on anyone but perhaps it will take a higher up in the medical or scientific field to get this and realize what I have all along to encourage them to do the tests to finally come up with some answers?  Just remember you probably heard it here first folks!   To those of you going to doctors and having them reluctant to believe you when you say to them you feel that there is a connection even after all the tests show clear then keep pushing and insisting they look into it further or find someone that will.  Perhaps a colonoscopy could show something either they or you didn't know existed?  If anyone comes accross this board or is already here on this board at some point ever does have laperoscopic surgery or colon resection and finds it relieved not only their digestive problems, blockage or whatever the case maybe but also the afib please let us know immediately!   Good luck and thanks to all who have posted here.  -Rich-.
In my case, it did have an upper and lower GI exam, and they did find H-pylori.  For several reasons I haven't treated the H. pylori as if yet but plan to soon. I've been fairly free of the A-fib since I had open heart surgery 2010 to repair an ASD. I did have a bad run the other morning, and as usual it was gastric related. Something my cardiologist still thinks is crazy. I took my usual Afib cocktail, (2 gas-x, 2 store brand replacements for Rolaids multi systom, 1 Zantac 75, and 20mg omeprazole). 30 minutes later I started jumping from A-fib to NSR, by 40 minutes I was solidly back into a NSR.

It might be nice to find a MD that wanted to investigate the possibility of H-pylori being a factor in the A-fib.  I guess it is definitely a factor since we know that gas is a factor, and one of it's primary symptoms is gas. I guess the reason no doctors want to touch this is that it's covers 2 different specialties, it's not often that gastro and cardio Dr's discuss cases. I guess they figure if it's on the other side of the diaphragm it can't be related. They seen to forget the diaphragm moves continuously (at least if your still breathing) affecting both systems.

Now as for potassium, it's normally low potassium levels that are associated with A-fib. Hyper-K tends to opt towards a slow or no rhythm asystole.

Yogurt, is a good food to help, as it contains natural probiotics. If yogurt is helping some you may get better relief taking a OTC probiotic. My Friend DrVee did a short video on this (I was the videographer) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MmSNX9winU
DrVee is a internist & pediatrician, she been keeping up with my situation and does agree with me about gas being a cause, but she's not my Dr, so she doesn't get consulted and of course as a lowly internist she can't know more than the cardiologist.

I haven't had time to post in a while, so those not familiar with me,  besides having to deal with this, I'm also supposedly a bit more familiar with the medical world since I'm also a paramedic.  
Hi there. I have never posted before but I have all the symptoms everyone here describes as well. This began 8 months ago suddenly one night after drinking a latte. I thought I was having a heart attack because of the pressure in my chest. I was told it was a panic attack but truly felt it was not.(Ironiclly I have since-about a month later-developed anxiety and panic disorder) I also have had a loop monitor for 2 months and although I didnt have another 'heart attack' feeling episode, i did have this fluttering and SVT. The doctors felt these were mostly benign and left it at that, unconcerned. I also had an echocardioandy and stress test and all were fine. (BTW- very healthy, active 28 year old female with no prior medical history except for a few food allergies) Since that evening(of the 'heart attack' feeling) I have PVC's and SVT's they don't usually last long but are very annoying. I also belch constantly and feel there is gas in my chest which I've never had before. I also seem to have reflux as food comes up my throat but I don't have burning like heartburn(which I had during pregnancy) I've had a barium swallow done to rule out hiatial hernia but they said it was fine.
I saw  a gastroenterologist today and he agreed that digestive issues could aggravate the heart and create fluttering, tachycardia etc. which was a relief to hear. I asked him about the H.Pylori connection and although he didn't feel it was connected he didn't completely rule it out either. He is going to preform and endoscopy on Oct. 12 and I think he may take a biopsy to test for H.Pylori while he is at it.
I'm terrified although it's a fast and easy procedure. I hate the idea of IV sedation but I want to get to the bottom of this.
I usually go the most natural route with health issues and am currently taking Vitamin D3, quality probiotics, a digestive enzyme, B vitamin and a multi. I also occasionally take a vitamin with a combination of mastic gum, zinc-carnosine, potassium nitrate and vitamin C called Gastro Relief by AOR. It helps with heartburn, puts acid back in the stomach, heals ulcers and if taken daily will kill H.Pylori(I just bought this and only take it occasionally tho) I also do not eat gluten or grains(except quinia and rice)sugar(very occasionally I'll have honey), chocolate, legumes, nuts, seeds, caffeine or dairy and only low glycemic fruit.
Anyways. I hope I can get some answers to this for everyone because this had been disrupting my life heavily for the last 8 months. I've also developed panic disorder because of the fear that I was having a heart attack even though I've checked out. That feeling was so terrifying I continue to have small panic attacks and when the gas begins to build up I freak out. I'm seeing a neuropsychologist for the panic and it is helping to the point life is becoming semi-normal again in regards to the panic. The PVC's and tachy still come out of no where though.
I will continue to check back then post again when I have the results of my endoscopy.
Sharyn
I also just wanted to add I agree with the idea this is completely digestive in nature(aggravating the heart-possibly vagus nerve?) I had a couple rounds of antibiotics about 10 yrs ago because of a kidney infection and from that I developed C.Dificile and although I got over it I've never been quite 'right' (self diagnosed IBS when eating garbage food)
I've also wondered about my gallbladder being involved. Hm.
Anyways just wanted to add that.
Anyways just wanted to add that.
Yes, do keep us up to date on how you are doing.  It's a good possibility that the belching and gas are related to H-Pylori. Then again it may not be. My Dr. Friend (an Internist) has told me that gas is a sign of excessive acid, and recommended taking Omeprazole daily. When I did that I will say that it did help quite a bit. I'm just not good about taking daily meds.

As for myself, I've now completed taking the "Prev pack" to hopefully kill the H-Pylori. I have to wait another month or so to do the follow up testing and see if it's gone. The prev pack is a bit rougher than I thought, it includes Flagyl, which definitely lets you know it's in your system.

One other item that might be of interest to some, I also purchased a personal ECG monitor. http://www.amperordirect.com/pc/c-ecg-ekg-monitor/choice-personal-ecg-monitor-md100a12.html  While it's only a single lead unit it does give a nice accurate display. Just don't expect the computer analysis to be helpful. It picks up on some things but doesn't recognize Afib. If you know how to read the output or have someone that can, it will let you see and save your ECG when things are getting wacky.   With it I can see that I like to throw in a few PJC's on the U-wave.  

With digestive woes we all have to figure out our own triggers.  For some it may be gluten and for others it could be chocolate, coffee, alcohal (alcohol), spicy foods, dairy, gaseous foods, eating too fast, eating too much, eating too close to bed time, not having enough friendly bacteria (probiotics), too much bad bacteria and or parasites and many many more.  If you are going to eat something you believe triggers off gas, bloat and acid try using a good broad spectrum enzyme supplement prior to eating.  You can also take a few charcoal caps.  Sometimes I'll use curcumin (particularly when eating beans) and it works well in keeping the gas down as well as the inflamation (inflammation) as it is a natural anti inflamatory.  Most acid and bloat comes by way of inflamation (inflammation) and the trigger for inflamations in your digestive tract are anything like mentioned above that you may be sensitive to.  OTC's may give temporary relief but they in and of themselves can trigger more inflamation (inflammation) and acid.  Of course my main objective is to keep the digestive tract clean and healthy in helping to avoid triggers to what I have been calling for the last few years and on this blog digestive tract related afib.  
Hey everyone,
Just wanted to update. I had my endoscopy today (I almost chickened out) and the doctor said everything looks beautiful. Nothing to see of report. He didn't even do a biopsy of my stomach for the H.Pylori because he said it looked great. Now I was just given a quick update because I was so out of it from the sedation but I don't think the report he send to my GP will say much more than that.
Doctors want to believe its all been anxiety related. I'm inclined to believe them. Everything keeps coming up negative. I have a consultation with a 2nd cardiologist on November 12th though so Ill update again if I get some other news.
Sharyn
Glad to hear the positive report and keeping the board up to date!  Keep in mind stress may be one of the biggest factors that triggers off not only anxiety, depression, afib or other heart arythmia but can also wreak havoc on your digestive system giving way to things like H.Pylori.  Sounds like you caught that early so with some treatment, good diet, exercise and reducing stress you have a good shot at staying afib free and healthy.
Thanks! Hope that I have...I havent has an 'episode' since the beginning of Sept. except for a skipped beat here and there. Trying hard to work on my stress and anxiety. Funny thing is I rarely feel super stressed more of a constant worrier lol. I can see how it can turn into a vicious cycle so Im hoping the Cognitive Behavioural Therapy helps. It seems to be :)
Ill keep ya'll updated :)
Sharyn
amen!  Thank god a dr. finally took me off it after 5 years of hell!  Went from 60 to ninety in a year.  Taking rythmol now, still have an occasional episode that needs cardioversion.  Stress and stomach problems, sleeping on my left side, etc. also will trigger it..  I just have to keep saying, "it won't kill you, just calm down.  Sometimes just heading for the ER to be converted will emotionally convert it before I get there!  Most of it is fear, not the afib.
Hi-  I just came on to my computer as I was awakened by what felt like an A-fib attack.  However after several belches, I am wondering if it is just gas??  My pulse rate did feel irregular, but now seems o.k.  

Just wondering how you are doing today.
I am 29 year old Indian(Asian) female . I had these palpitation first time  around 8 months back . I felt extremely bloated and my stomach would become hard as rock and the faster heartbeat would kick in. After 3-4 episodes in 8 months I thought I should see a doctor, as apart from these episodes I would be really healthy,active and had no symptoms  at all.  I had all my test done, Blood test for H pylori , ultrasound and EKG and Echo. All came out normal . But, I started to get frequent heartburn and gas .  

3 weeks backs I visited chiropractor after I got tingling in my head and pain in my neck . He took x ray of my spine and said I have rotated vertebrae in my neck and mild scoliosis in my lower back . He is working with me on my spine and thankfully I haven't had single episode of heartburn and acidity , even after eating pretty much everything( and more )  I would dare not eating before. Though I still have pain in some parts of my spine but that's all bearable so far. Also, previously I would hear my heart beat in my ear after lying on bed and after correcting my posture which came out to be poor in his analysis , I don't hear them any more. I looked in internet and have found few references of thoracic spine causing palpitations and indigestion . So, I am just keeping a watch on my condition as of now. hope it never happens to anybody and to me ever again .

I had hiatal hernia/reflux surgery in April 2012, called Nissan Fundoloplication. It was done by renouned miami (fl) sugeon who uses a 'bio-mesh' to wrap the stomach. I did because of continuing to burp up just about everything I ate, which is basically because  of a defective LES valve, which is located right at the hatious opening (where hiatal hernia). Both surgeries (nissan stomach wrap/hernai repair) done laproscopically at the same time. Tough surgery, but gastric problem solved. 49 year old firefighter/extra athletic. Before surgery - reflux was getting bad with panic attacks at night, chest pain put me in ER one night, Bouts of atrial fib - especially if stomach was upset or reflux was bad. I am still rounding out my healing at 9 months - can't weightlift like I want to yet, feel tender if I stretch too far or bounce too much with running - but surgery was worth it.
I suggest that you take Manuka Honey, the healing one, a little pricey
but worth every cent. One teaspoonful 3 times a day on empty stomach.
Also, vitamin B12, methylcobalamin sub-lingual- 1000mcg- twice a day.
It worked for me. I had yours problems.
I'm very interested in how much curcumim you use, when and how often.

My husband has had stomach problems, causing afib for the past 30 years and thought he was the only one.

Blind One

Blind One
It's funny. I was last-born, so I saw my father deal with stomach issues in his later life. He used to take a half-teaspoon of baking soda in water before bed when he was experiencing problems. He would burp some deep ones, and then say that's "..what I needed." When I reached my late 40's, I started my A-fib, and now in my early 60's, realize how much like my father I am. But to my knowledge, his stomach issues didn't precipitate A-fib, as it seems to with me.

I get 3 or so episodes per year. I used to go to the emergency room, but now just wait it out. I go back to NSR, usually in 6 to 10 hours. When I'm having stomach gas, usually after dinner, I can have a few skipped beats, but full-blown episodes only occur during the night. I awaken to that old familiar racing and flutter feeling. My cardiologist thinks getting checked for sleep apnea is prudent, but I'm pretty sure it's cyclical, and has to do with food, drink, and nerves. He, by the way, says people always tell him it has to do with feeling bloated, etc., so at least he's one of the cool ones. He believes it, though has no idea why.  
Hi, sorry haven't been on in a while.  I generally like to use curcumin when i know I'm going to eat something that may be bothersome.  Example: chile with beans.  I sometimes sprinkle it in the chile or take a 1/2 teaspoon prior.  Really seems to keep any gas and bloat I might normally get dowm.   I also have taken a somewahat similar  product called black seed.  This is a quality cumin seed powder in capsule.  Good nutritional support for lung, respiratory, digestive & immune system health.  Maybe give it a try.  
Yep, sounds familiar.  If you as I suspect have gotten a clean bill of health over all then it is probably as you say.  I suspect though as we've gotten older by the time we get this afib that is apparently precipitated by gas & bloat I believe there is some form of damage or distress that has taken place in a very particular area of the gi tract generally near the uper left side just above or below the rib cage.  I have treated my digestive woes with anti parasite formula capsules and found some good results.  People don't realize how important the digestive tract is to health and good immune system and how we subconciously place it under a daily attack with stress, lack of sleep, smoke, medicines etc.   Not too mention foods the human body was never designed to digest.  Unfortunately that usually means probably about 90% of what we eat.  Thanks for posting & good luck.
Good advice.  Worth a shot.
"anti parasite formula capsules"  What and where can I get this?  

I am in the same boat.  Having A-fib/flutter 40% of the day at least, according to heart monitor.  My pulse is wacky and always accompanied by loud and deep belching.  The pressure in the guy hurts and I know the afib is coming. The weird thing is, I could just wake up in the morning, and get up and my heart starts racing and the belching comes.  I go to sleep on an empty stomach too. Sometimes I get it when I haven't ate for 7-8 hours.  So i don't know what's triggering it.  

I hate the feeling.  The heart meds do nothing  except give me bad side effects, and I still have the arrythmia and belching.  I am close to going for an ablation.  I just fear I will still have it after.  Nothing seems to stop it.  

I have been on PPI's for 12 years.  Have improved my diet over the summer, dropped 30 lbs. and still have it.  I watched this thread all summer, hoping for more info..and things to try.  One day, I hope we can find a fix.  
Hi, if you want to give it a shot this site won't allow specific web pages so just go to Amazon and put anti parisite formula in the description field.  Read the ratings. Para Response is a good brand for example.  Good luck!
I just was told that I have  pulmonary hypertension.How are you treated and what is the prognosis. This really scares me! Thanks. Hope you are doing well.
Pulmonary hypertension is when the blood pressure in your lungs is higher than it is supposed to be. As for treatment it depends on the cause. I did have pulmonary hypertension, and in my case the treatment was to repair the cause which was an atrial septial defect (ASD).  Unfortunately due to my age and the length of time with the ASD (since born) I already have a bit enlarged right heart, which will continue to keep my pulmonary pressure up some but not as much as before.  As for prognosis, that is all relevant on how elevated the pressure is, how long you've had it, and quite a bit on external factors.  Some of the events it can lead to are COPD, respiratory infections, and pulmonary edema.    
with the ASD treated, won't the right size of your heart reduce in size? No matter the age? I ask because I thought nature was quite efficient with regards to unnecessary energy wastage. It's a bit like when we don't use our leg muscles for long periods of time, they weaken. I was just wondering if your heart would adapt itself to the level of requirement now.
I suppose it might given time, but I'm not sure at what rate.. The cardio just had me do a echo and a stress test. The Echo should indicate the perceived pulmonary BP, and the stress test should show any reduction in heart size. but so far I've only received the Dr.s version of the report "It all looks great" so I'll have to get copies of the test results and see if I can determine anything from them.   From what I've heard in the past pretty much once your heart enlarges, that's pretty much a done deal. Most muscle will atrophy away over time if not used, but I'm not sure if that applies to cardiac muscle.  
I met a guy in hospital a few years back, different situation but amazing all the same. Through alcohol addiction his heart had enlarged a huge amount and basically became useless. They put a mechanical pump around his waste, piped it into his main blood vessels around the heart and then stopped his heart. After a year his heart was virtually normal again and they were ready to attempt a restart. Unfortunately I was discharged before this happened.
I believe there is a connection between gut problems (inflammation) and having a heart attack. I had a heart attack 7 months ago and the main symptoms  were severe acid reflux pain (Maalox didn't help)  restlessness and anxiety. I had slight pain in my left shoulder. Since I'd had problems for years with my gut I never thought I was having a heart attack.  I didn't go to the hospital right away. I did go to a nearby clinic where they took a straight xray of my gut. The Dr wanted to know why the Maalox I took didn't help the gas and bloating that I felt .He said I could go home.  Later that evening I started vomiting and went to emerg. where they did an ECG  and removed the clot. I had a stent put in. When I got out of Hospital the Clinic called to tell me the result of the xray taken the day of my heart attack and that it  found my gut was filled with mucous and gas, and I may have Crohns disease or colitis..... I told them I'd had a heart attack. Hopefully I haven't harmed my heart too much.  I get quite anxious when I get this gut problem and haven't quite figured out how to deal with it. I've seen specialists etc but no magic bullet yet.  I do believe there is a connection between chronic  inflammation in the body and heart attacks.
I have never commented before but here goes....45 year old, pretty healthy female, scoped in 09 after having that heavy pressure and short of breath feeling, after EKG and such, diagnosed with Hiatal Hernia., Prilosec 2 times a day..life goes on.   Fast forward a few years, under tons of stress, family and death, stomach is a mess.  The fluttering, constant full feeling, bloating, SOB, anxiety, Light headed, depression and I HATE to eat.  Can not put my finger on any food for sure because some days I can eat this then later not.  I have not had caffeine in 14 years, drink socially and drink primarily water all day. Blood work all fine. Ekg, stress test, echo all normal, heart monitor showed a little brachicardia.  Re scoped, waiting on results but now off for an Stomach Emptying Scan.  I have a wonderful husband, 2 healthy boys and the world in the palm of my hand BUT can not get passed this doom and gloom and anxiety that I am about to die. I know I am all over the board here....feeling like crap today yet yesterday was a peach.  lol  Thanks for the support.
Yep, it can be a vicious cycle.  Stress and anxiety causes digestive related problems and digestive problems cause anxiety and distress. My wife rarely ever had digestive troubles like myself and as you can see ever since my starting this blog I certainly have had my share and experimented like crazy with some success.  Like you my reports were always good.  Dr's scratched there heads but I soon figured out my afib episodes were some how directly related to something going on in my digestive tract.  Well, my wife started with tachardia episodes and her symptoms seemed eerily similar to my own.  Then all of a sudden just a few weeks ago she was having some real problems.  I litterally freaked her out when I stated you have all the symptoms of parasites.  Her not feeling well I just happened to have some parasite formula left and coaxed her to try it.  After the second day to her horror she was both appalled and amazed that she started eliminating small white pinworms in her bowel movements.  She stayed the course and so far seems to be a lot better.  I do not believe in medications and otc's except for certain cases and feel there are natural and or homeopathic options with the help of correct diet, exercise and stress reduction etc that will help bring the body back into ballance.  I haven't been on here in a while and thought I would share this as it may help bring hope and some relief to others perhaps that may be in a similar boat.  Good luck!  
Anyone have news on ablations for vagal afib?  outcomes?  Since it's suppsosed to be caused by high vagal tone, is there a med that can reduce the vagal tone?  My Dr, seems to think I have two choices, either 3 day hospital to be put on Tikosyn or ablation.  Of course I'm not thrilled with either.  

Has any med shown to be more effective for the digestive/afib relation?  The only one I read of is Flecainide and that did nothing for my afib, it did make me very lethargic, and tired, as my blood pressure is low, even on a low dose.  
I have personally never heard of ablation specifically for vagal ablation?  As of now the vagal nerve or stimulation there of is suspected of being a possible trigger point for some (certain) episodes of afib but I do not think anyone has the answer as to why the vagal nerve itself would be triggered itself and then make the association of it then triggering afib.  I hypothesize a possible trigger is something going on with the digestive tract since the vagal nerve runs the same pathways up to your heart and brain.  Be careful about any ablation and get many opinions as I have heard of more failures and worsening than I have successes.  Unfortunately there apparently is money to be made by doing these surgeries and no guarantees (i'm just sayin)  As for drugs there are some but since I'm not an md and refrain from using them I'm not qualified to say which drugs.  If its once in a while or an occasional episode of afib you may be able to help or get help in figuring out what causes them.  If its chronic then you should see a cardiologist or two two try and figure it out the problem and get you on some meds to gain some relief and possibly prevent clots from forming.  Do plenty of research yourself.  Good luck.  
Thank you.  I have had several opinions.  It's either Tikosyn or an ablation.  I have irregular pulse after eating in evening or when I go to bed.  But sometimes my pulse is steady and still have pounding heart.  I don't know if an ablation will help.  Very scary.  This happens every day just about and it can be bad at night, sometimes exercise helps.  But if I exercise I tend to get tachycardia after I stop.  My heart keeps going fast.  During day I'm usually okay if I take it easy and do not exercise. Have GERD for many years and PPI's have been shown to alter cell structure and can make this kind of stuff happen.  

I'm currently trying to figure it out from diet, eliminating foods, decondtioning.  Dr. said I got it due to so much jogging through the years.  Over worked the heart.  I'd really like to avoid anything invasive.    
I'm thinking of trying some Xanax or a stress med.  Gotta be safer than these heart meds!
Don't know what your over all health is but sounds like your actually reasonably healthy and probably had all the blood work and tests typical with most who have come on this blog.  If thats the case thats good.  Gerd for years is a definate sign there is and has been something wrong with your digestive tract.  What hurts your digestive tract is wrong food and drink.  Thats the easy answer.  As we age our digestive tracts slow up and with the abuse (known and unknown) we throw at it over the years we invite a whole host of problems we sometimes won't even feel, see or pay attention too until we get worsening symptoms.  My own experience is there is a relation between digestive system problems that have exacerbated to more extreme symptoms with occasional afib being one of them.  I think from it stems a possibility that my intestinal region close to the vagal nerve located somewhere on the left under the rib cage has thinned out and maybe exposing nerves which flare and blow up causing a disruption of signal to the heart.  Some of the best things I've done to help both problems (if you read a good part of this blog) is to do a parasite cleanse and modify my diet and reduce stress.  Modifying the diet meant such things as eating smaller meals spead out and trying not only to eat better for me foods but in combinations that don't cause problems.  Some are obvious stay away froms like greasy fried food, soda or other inflamatory causing foods etc. particularly if your trying to heal which takes time.   Eating past 6 or 7 at night latest is usually a no no.  Get some exercise, drink plenty of purified water and adding a good probitotic also helps.  The drugs in some cases are ok but normally just address the symptoms and do nothing the body needs or wants in the way of attacking and or healing the underlying problems.  I took on an all or nothing approach when I got very fed up feeling like crap.  I used mild but effective form of parasite cleanse (must contain wormwood & black walnut from green hulls) capsules for about a month or more and i also used colloidal silver to mop up the bad bacteria.  A juicer is a good investment and there are books on what juices heal and taste good.  Eating past 6 or 7 at night latest is usually a no no.  Get some exercise, drink plenty of purified water and adding a good probitotic also helps.  The drugs in some cases are ok but normally just address the symptoms and do nothing the body needs or wants in the way of attacking and or healing the underlying problems. In fact I believe as it now indicated in studies that anyone at any time in their lives who took even one round of antibiotics could have done more harm than good.  Everyone is unique and individual and have their own set of problems but all these practices mentioned while I'm not touting as a cure can sometimes do wonders and is good for the body generally speaking.  You do whats good for you.  If you try anything natural and or drug related read up on it, check with your doctor especially if your already on any regimine of meds.  Let us know and post if you get any relief and what you've tried to bring you relief.  Best of lick.  -Rich-    
Thank you for those ideas Rich.  Much to think about.  Some of it I have been doing.  Everything seems so backwards, I stopped all exercise a year ago due to this, and lost 35 lbs.  I feel great...when in sinus R.  ironically, last week, the Dr. told me I look like a runner by my physique.  But when I was running 5-6 days a week, I didn't.  ha.

I eat smaller meals and lots of fruits/veg.  Had a blood test recently and they tell me potassium is too high and to cut out fruits/vegs!!! I tell ya, everything is backwards for me.  

I don't know what to eat anymore. I can eat something one day and will be fine, and the next it seems like it triggers a ton of gas/belch which gets my heart going like a locomotive.  I notice my pulse will be in sinus and as that air builds up and pushes to bottom of the throat, I'll feel a missed beat.  Also when I belch, it skips.  So I am really trying to listen to my body and figure out what's going on.  the Dr.s still don't want to believe me that it's related.  I bring in documentation and they don't even look at it.  They tell me ablation or Tikosyn.  So frustrated to get a more objective viewpoint.  

Since eating better, tho.  I don't have the acid burning a hole in my chest which required prilosec for so many years.  I have read studies that show PPI's cause cell alterations for heart, but I've also read many use PPI's to help their arrythmia.  Crazy.
I know it stinks.  But as you can see when you do things like lose weight, change diet you do gain positives.  If the doctors say your potassium levels are to high instead of telling you to stop eating a good diet why didn't they tell you to increase your magnesium levels?  You may be off balance from a med or something you eat but when your potassium and calcium levels for that matter are to high you definately do not have enough magnesium. Magnesium is not only one of the most important minerals for heart regulation its one of the most important minerals period.  Building levels back up take time so eat foods high in magnesium and don't take combo junky vitamins like calcium and magnesium that you'll often see but take magnesium in citrate form which is easier to digest and absorb.  Also a good multivitamin that uses food as its source is good to cover the other impotant vitamins and minerals just in case.   Nothing replaces good healthy diet, exercise.  If the veggies are causing you gas or not breaking down well then get a juicer or nutribullet.  If you haven't taken a parasite formula you may be surprised.  I have used pararesponse which is gentle, effective and you can find on Amazon.  My wife freaked out because she started exibiting some of the same symptons I was having with my digestive tract and after 2 days she started seeing pinworms in her bowel movements.  Parasites, bad bacteria, mold & viruses are the cause to all these ills in my opinion.  Erradicate them and  and your health will be better for it.  Dr's (most of them) just do not know enough about this yet as can be attested to by many including yourself that have posted here and most of them are not trained in nutrition and know little or nothing about that.  I think that is slowly starting to change but in the mean time we sometimes have to be our own best doctors.  Whatever steps you decide to take good luck.    
Well, they say mag level is good from recent blood test. Though I know only a very small trace amount is able to be measured in a blood test.  Plus I have been taking mag supplements on several occasions in the past year. Potassium is back to normal.  

I have recently tried some digestive enzymes/ginger and that seems to help a bit.  I was real bad all day yesterday, gas/burp all day and pulse was very erratic.  Though I ate the exact same stuff as the previous day. So I don't think it's a particular thing like gluten.  I tried that for a bit, and no difference.

I have had tests for stool/urine and all normal. So I don't know if the parasite thing is really it.  Since I have some degenerative discs, I am looking more into that with maybe seeing a chiro.  I used to do an immense amount of situps and really did some damage from all of them.

Looking back, all my injuries have come from exercise.  I quit all exercise for the past year and tho' I am still getting burp/arrythmia.  I feel much better and lost all that weight.  My joints don't hurt, I feel more relaxed....a nice walk or something is good.  But jogging 3-4 miles, or doing crunches, pushups  Forget it.  It did more harm than good for me even in my 30's.  Now I'm in my 40's and wish I had never done all that.
Well, too much of normally a good thing like execise is bad.  They won't find parasites just in passing and many even if they look for them.  With the way your describing your digestive problems and symptoms sound very familiar to me.  Sounds like tract is way out of balance probably due to over growth of bad bacteria and or parasites..  You've tried a lot of other things.  Its up to you.  Cleaning yourself out with anything like laxatives or what ever does not get rid of them or help much.  May bring temporary relief until you start eating again.  Have you ever had an endoscopy or other GI tests??  If you have and it showed clear with no obstructions or problems then I go back once again to what I said.  
Oh I will give it a try and appreciate the advice delcoat.  Yes have had several endo.  Nothing other than minor irritaion.  No hernia and they did a biopsy.  I find it hard to believe it was only minor irritation from the amount of burning I've endured over a decade +.  Prilosec OTC worked for me, and I took it for 14 yrs.  

I do have trouble swallowing any kind of sticky food, it sticks down at the top of my stomach and then an air bubble will start there and work it's way up, until it feels as if it's closing off my air intake.  Panic sets in.  One time an episode lasted over 4 hours, I could not get the air out. Has put in ER a few times as I thought I was going to suffocate.  When it's finally passed, tons of burping follows.. Doc can't explain it and say just keep up on PPI's...

I can drink anything and fine.  Even beer.  I'm starting to think of putting all food in a blender!  

I will try the parasite thing, thank you.  It can't hurt at this point.  Ginger, enzymes, mag, don't seem to do much.  I've also soaked feet in mag solution to absorb.  

Lying down usually can diminish or eliminate the afib.  So it can be positional.  Just like in the morning, getting up too fast, gets my heart going at such a fast tempo and the belching starts, even without eating anything!  Docs tell me to see the GI...GI's tell me to see the docs...
Sorry to hear about all the suffering.  I think its worth a shot and i would also at the same time start silver biotics three times daily as well.  Some of what you mention ie., ginger can actually cause stomach acid and upset  which is probably opposite of what most people hear.  The beer.  Don't count on it.  May not get you right away but may get you later.  Its very gassy.  Enzymes with meals are generally good but there are some that didn't set right with me either.  Unfortunately when you have these symptoms going on it won't matter what you eat or whether you put everything in a blender or not you will still get the symptoms.  Learn about combining of foods.  The way in which you eat can be as important as what you eat.  In the beginning at least until you get your digestive system back on track and healthy your gonna have to make changes and concessions that will be pretty inconvenient but the trade off in the end will be worth it.  I was where your at now and miserable.  I still can go off the deep end and party like a rock star and eat huge portions of hot spicy fried foods followed up by ice cream and beer without expecting repurcussions but in moderation I'm at a point where I can at least enjoy certain things again without dying.  
Anyone have an idea if it could be the heart that starts the gas/burp?  I know it seems backwards, but I have read where certain type of angina, and it's main symptom besides pain, is burping.  

Docs want me to take a 3 day stay for Tikosyn to see if it curbs all these problems.  Past month I'm having all kinds of circulatory issues lately, all fingers swelling and numbness only on one hand, doc thought it was an infection but it turns blue when it's cold, fingers swell like sausages.  I wonder if it's related somehow.
I suffered AF for more than 10 years and tried finding the root cause since the doctors each provided with different reasonings. After many drugs over many years of AF, I decided to avoid them all except Warfrin, which I agree is a preventive against possible stroke. I took time to check back the history, how it came about into my life and the obvious cause in mine were probably due to my prolong high blood epizodes for over many years thereby caused my heart to be a little enlarged distorting the normal rhythm of my heart but most noted when I experienced gassy stomach and also upon eating foods and some fruits that bring about this gas in my stomach. Having a fib gives you experiences like shortness of breath, confusion, fainting feeling and panicky feeling. Apparently I do feel better when I do not have this gassy stomach. Eating too many bananas and drinking coconut water also cause my a fib more obvious. I found that they contain high potassium that have effect on the heart beat.
Thanks for sharing, Publo.  Same here, no burps, no AF.  It's always accompanied by the burping/gas.  I don't know which starts anymore, the heart causing the burps or the burps causing the heart...  The latter makes more since but one doc says he thinks it's the other way.  I don't know how but..

The meds were as bad as the AF.  I quit them too, just on aspirin.  I'm fearful of having an ablation because I feel that when I keep my vagus nerve calm, I'm good, I feel better than have in years, but if I have an ablation, then there's permanent scar damage, not to mention the risks and how some have died from having one done.  Also, docs tell me, if you're lucky you get a few years, before you have to back for another!  They consider that successfull!!!!  Not me.
In my case I can prove the gas comes before the A-fib. As a Paramedic I'm fully qualified to read a cardiac monitor. Using a cardiac monitor when I get gassy I'll start to throw a bunch of PAC's then often go into A-flutter, which degenerates into A-fib with RVR.

As soon as I can relive the gas, the cardiac rhythm will start to correct in pretty much reverse order.  
Just a followup..
Up until the last post I haven't posted in a while. For a bit of an update, I'm still doing pretty good. I'll occasionally have an A-fib event when I get gassy and didn't realize it was coming. for the most part I've been able to prevent the event by quickly treating building gas prior to it causing a problem. My trigger level still seems to be higher than it was prior to surgery, but it's still there.  
Thank you much for posting.  I'm sorry to hear that anyone has to go through this, but, it is good to read from someone with professional medical field commenting from direct experience.  I go into it most every day and always burping.  I notice I feel my pulse stop or go irregular when I belch, so there's proof of the connection.

What do you do to relieve the gas and prevent the a flut/fib? Simethicone does absolutely nothing for me.  I belch and belch and the gas keeps building right back up in minutes.  Sometimes not even eating or drinking anything. It's like air just goes down the wrong way or something.
My first line defense is Walmarts generic Multi-symptom Antacid-Antigas Berry tablets. It used to be sold as Rolaids but since they had their quality control issues they have been gone. 3-4 tabs generally help. If it feels like it's going to be a bad run, or I've already gone into Afib, I'll hit it with a mixture of those tabs, 2gas-X, and a Zantac-150.   I'll also generally take a Zantac-150 anytime I feel I'm starting to go acidic.

I've also found in my case, and this may not apply to others, I can inward and downward just below my ribcage and release gas not otherwise available to be burped out. So this is more of a mechanical intervention, but it works.
thanks.  I do the inward/downward thing too, sometimes it helps.  I'll check out the tablets.  Often lying down helps to calm everything, and when I sleep I'm back to normal.  But lying on left side really intensifies that pounding.  Some docs make me feel like I need an ablation, others seem to shrug it off and say..you'll probably get an ablation within the next decade.

I have read from certain studies that when it's vagal related it doesn't progress to chronic.  Other studies suggest different.  Very scary if it were to become constant.
Only problem with antacids even ones seemingly harmless as TUMS is that while they can initially help they often can in the end cause a lot more problems by causing the body to make more acid in turn causing a lot of intestinal inflamation (inflammation) which in turn causes very slow elimination (sometimes rocks) all the while trapping gas from escaping and just becoming a vicious cycle.  The more you use generally the more you'll need.  These are loaded with calcium.  While a lot may not actually get absorbed enough still does that can throw your systems PH ratios out of  whack ie. magnesiums, potassium, chloride levels etc.  When eating (particularly acid & gassy forming foods) try taking a 1/2 - 1  teaspoon of ground up black seed just prior or during.  Also available in capsules.  Calms and heals digestive tract problems and helps prevent and eliminate gas naturally.  Don't think it conflicts with medications since it technically is an indian spice/food similar to curcumin and turmeric.
I have been "dealing" with this issue for around 7-8 years. I have to think about every single move I make or my heart will skip beats or go into afib. I know full well it is do to with stomach activity because when my heart goes into afib, all I have to do to get it to go back into normal rhythm is get the gas out of my stomach. I do that by pacing, drinking something fizzy and/or reclining to get the pressure off my stomach. My heart has been checked and is totally fine. I saw a gastroenterologist that dismissed my concerns and I gave up and "lived" with this problem for many years. It is such an inconvenience that it has limited what I can do in life. Im sick and tired of living with this and tired of reading that there are no doctors that can see a connection. Clearly, there is. Especially since Im not the only one with this problem. The weird part is, is that I feel the afib (rapid and skipped beats mixed) in my stomach, even though its my heart that's going crazy. There is a pulling/tugging sensation at the trigger point. There HAS to be a cure for this and if there is anybody that has found one, PLEASE let me know. I'm in the midst of another gastro referral, but they're all turning me down because Im "not an emergency" and "they already have too many patients". If I sit the wrong way with a full stomach (gas or food), it'll trigger palps/afib. If I turn the wrong way, same thing. I have to hold my breath if I bend down to pick anything up. Even doing light housework exhausts me to no end. This is ridiculous. I no longer know what hunger feels like because I have to eat to push the gas out of my stomach. My stomach is always so "angry" when its empty and when its digesting. I don't understand why this started or how to make it stop. I welcome any comments or talking with you further because it helps to know that there are other people out there with this "mystery condition". Maybe together we can find a common denominator? Thanks for listening!
I came across the term Roemheld Syndrome aka GastroCardiac Syndrome, throughout my years of research. So yes, this condition DOES exist, but still no answers as to why these so-called Doctors say otherwise and why we are still suffering and left to figure this out and deal with this on our own. Check it out, if you haven't already and let me know what you guys think. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roemheld_syndrome
Thanks for posting.  Read what others have posted and you'll see there are common denominators.  Unfortunately none of which the medical or scientific community have caught up with enough to come up with a common solution to what has become a relatively common problem.  My hypothesis has been without realizing it we blast our digestive tracts on a daily basis going back to child hood with things that are not natural, not digestable or normal to our systems.   Things like processed foods, drink, smoking, stress and medications particularly antibiotics to name a few all have a negative impact that all invite bad bacteria, viruses, parasites and mold to make homes in us that ultimately over time erode our intestinal walls and in the end give us symptoms we never expected to get nor can explain.  If the digestive tract and or how it is affected is key to a lot of this as I have suspected for a long time and why I started this post then it is a definate focal point.  I have treated my own to varying degrees of success with many very good natural products that have given me relief.  Sometimes I have had enough relief and felt good for so long that I thought perhaps I had conquered it but unfortunately it comes back eventually so I have not yet found the magic bullet or cure.  Short of feeling that if I where to have cut out a certain portion of my colon or intestine from where these symptoms seem  to spring from I don't know if there is a real possibility of returning it to a more youthful state for good but I had my own successes that gave me hope and I'll keep trying and will keep checking in hoping that others may have some suggestions that may have helped them that in turn can help others.  
Thank you for your response. I agree whole heartedly that its a digestive tract issue and after reading through the posts, yes digestion is something we all have in common, but I wonder what the common denominator is for this digestive upset. Stress? Anxiety? Food intolerances? Thyroid issues? Etc. I wonder why this affects some and not others? It's pretty bad and quite scary, that a bunch of strangers have to figure this out on their own because a doctor can't. Doesn't say much for these so-called "doctors". I'm starting a doctor hop and I'm not going to stop until I find that one "needle in the haystack" that is going to take the time to figure this out and give me my life back. This is ridiculous already. We should be able to eat, bend over, turn, walk/run, sit etc...without our hearts skipping a beat or going into afib. This is not normal and beyond annoying, frustrating and debilitating. I will share any knowledge that I gain on my mission for an answer and cure and hopefully, I can help shed some light on this annoyance. I'm happy to have found some recent cases as most of the ones I've come across are from a few years ago, with no updates, so thank you so much for checking in and keeping an eye on this thread! :)
Lyn, THANK YOU for posting on roemheld syndrome, you gave me something that all these doctors and clinics couldn't, That is my symptoms to a T.  I've been dealing with this for over a year now.  Several ER trips and those nurses and docs made me feel like I was gonna die.  I'm already freaking out with my heart going crazy.

At least I have something concrete.  I have been going crazy trying to eliminate certain foods, positions,allergies, meds, minerals..but no rhyme or reason.  The same thing I eat one day canl cause the symptoms and the next day I will not affect me.    

I'm not a fan of it, but that wiki article suggest cabbage.  That is something I haven't tried.  Ginger seemed to help for awhile, but yesterday I had arrythmiashort of breath. pretty much all day with a huge pressure in top abdomen pressing.  Wasn't until I went home and had a couple beers that I felt better.  beer usually can help it, crazy as it sounds.

I broke my tibial plateau a year and a half ago.Next day ended up in the hosp.for 8 days with afib.Had a cardioversion done a year ago.I have the most terrible GAS,bloating,and belching I have ever had in my life.I have never had any stomach issues in my 66 years on this earth.I was always on the go,now I never want to leave my house.I take xanax for my anxiety or I would never get any sleep.Even with that I've be averaging abot 5 or 6 hours a night. I get the shakes too.Now,I have an erosive stomach caused by a high dose of aspirin and warfarin I was prescribed.Now I take Plavix,Protonix,xanax,and feel lousy.No one wants to believe me ,that I feel this bad.I haven't enjoyed my life for so long.It's like I'm just existing.I wish ONE doctor would try to help us.
Lol, beer isn't crazy at all. It's carbonated and helps by getting you to burp it out. When I'm going into afib, I grab beer or pop. Whichever is closest to the front of the fridge, lol. My very first afib attack was scary, of course, but it didn't scare me enough to go to the ER because I didn't have any other symptoms other than the rapid and erratic heart beat. I know that may sound weird, like...who wouldn't go to the ER if their heart was beating like that, right? But, I guess, deep down I knew that it wasn't anything that needed medical intervention because I feel these attacks in my stomach while they're happening. I'm going on year 7 or so, of this. Thankfully, the afib attacks are "rare" in comparison to the digestive upset because I can usually prevent them by being VERY careful in the way I move and breath. Sick hey? Who lives like that? Ugh. Anyway, I'm glad I could shed a bit of light for you. I've been researching this for many years and I'm sure glad I'm not the only one having to deal with this mystery that doctors can't solve! Lets keep in touch because you never know, we may be able to solve this without them! :)
I agree 100%! I too am just existing and I feel horrible because it has made me miss out on so much of my childrens lives. Something I will NEVER get back. I can't believe there are so many doctors from all over the world that have no clue about this. Its scary. Enough is enough already. I go to, yet another, new doctor next week, so I'm praying that he is the miracle I have been searching for. Not getting my hopes up, but trying to stay positive that he will be able to shed some light on this. I'll update the thread if I learn anything new.
YES!  going on vacation or trip, I get worried what happens when I go into it. I don't want to ruin my kids fun, or miss out on these years.. I'm so grateful for your post, again, THANKS.  

Docs were making me feel like I was crazy.  The GI's laughed at me when I said the gas was causing my heart to go funny.  Two different docs were quite condescending. When I'd bring in papers from researching on the net, they'd laugh and say don't believe what's on the net!! and I had to pay for that crap.. Thanks Cleveland Clinic.  

I can't believe this guy Roemheld figured this out in the 30's and nothing has been researched since?  I do see a note on that wiki site that says German research ended in 2009 was not translated.  

Yes, I will keep reading here.  I have gotten comfort and knowledge from each and every post here.
Guys/Gals listen to this doctor's show talk about Roemheld Syndrome.  Hitting it on the head.  

Thanks to Lyn, I was able to find this. Copy/paste url.

https://app.box.com/s/aqlw20oafjkj289pyqac
Roemheld syndrome.  We now have a name of something we can ascribe to.  This is a good thing.  For one thing it's been around for a lot longer than any of us realized.  Another is that we are not alone nor are we all going crazy.  Finally when doctors look at us like we have three heads we now have a medical name to throw at him and say here doc read this and tell me I'm crazy.  There is also another name or term which I've brought up here on the blog in the past and that's vagal nerve induced afib.  There is also yet another perhaps not so well known term but probably not relevant to most of us here but it is called the partiers disease or alcohol induced afib?  So now we have two or three names.  Unfortunately we have to become our own doctors these days but the fact that we're starting to think outside of the box, doing research to figure this out and contributing to this blog shows that we really all are!  The ones we thought and hoped we could depend on to help us out at this point just can't.  Jeff & Lyn above are right.  This is rediculous that we should have to live like this by being stressed, fearful or even careful of how you move etc. so as not to go into afib  Since so many people are suffering with this and the symptoms so similar it may just be possible that one day it all comes down to an as of yet unknown common denominator?  Just as it was ultimately proven that H. Pylori (a bad bacteria) was shown to be the common denominator and culprit that causes most stomach ulcers this could also be caused by a single bad bacteria strain (including H. Pylori), virus, mold or parasite or even a certain combination of these working in tandem.   In my own self exploration I have found that there does seem to be a couple of factors which have contributed in bringing me to this point of sufferage.  Who knows it may not go much beyond it?.  I don't believe it just pops up out of the blue (even though it may seem that way) but rather builds up over time but without realizing it we all literally do daily damage to our digestive tracts!  Interestingly enough our digestive tract has been shown and proven to be 90% of our immune system.  Compromise it and every other system of the body is affected causing us all sorts of physical and mental ills.  This is probably why when I address my digestive woes it also stops the propensity to get or feel like I'm going into afib.  Eating nutritionally deficient foods particularly ones our systems just aren't capable of breaking down and digesting combined with other damaging factors like stress, smoking, drinking, medications, lack of sleep, lack of exercise all have a negative effects and impact.  These ultimately cause the body to become acidic.  Once in this acidic state we experience inflammation in our digestive tract that in turn constricts the intestines and slows things down, traps gas, makes us constipated giving us familiar sysmptoms of reflux, ibs, bloat etc.  Being in this state is ideal conditions for bad bacteria, virus, parasites, mold to breed and take over, thrive and eat away at us which in turn creates more acid, inflammation and even more symptoms.  Some of which can turn into many diseases.  It's a vicious cycle.  I hypothesize that over time damage is done by all of these factors.  I believe the lining of a certain potion of the intestines thins ulimately exposing nerve endings to an area that when induced by inflammation can conflict with normal vagal nerve impulses to our brain and heart which ultimately can lead to the afib.  I even asked a question a while back on either this or a sister blog that if anyone was experiencing similar symptoms plus the fib whether they had a colectomy or small section of their intestine removed in any region just below the left rib cage and whether they had ever experienced relief from both by this surgery?  I have not heard anything as of yet.  So far I have had my best longest term results and relief by dealing with this from a digestive health problem angle (which as mentioned above incidentally stopped inducing afib once relief was obtained)   I did a mild intestinal or bowel cleanse.  I did a parasite cleanse (amazing) using natural mild herbal products but ones that must contain black walnut/wormwood and I also used silver biotics to mop up any bad bacteria.  I adjusted my diet by avoiding foods and drink that cause inflammation, that are gassy or difficult to digest by avoiding such things as coffee, all processed foods, caffein etc.  I upped adding more organic vegegables and fruit and jucing to give my system a rest and chance to heal and become ph balanced.   It's difficult to stay on a close to a perfect diet so I find myself doing these regimens perhaps every 6 months or so if symptoms start to appear and become out of control.
It feels great to feel good and normal again but alas as I mentioned it can come back so even all of this apparently is not a permanent cure?  Perhaps once damage has been done as I suspect it is very difficult perhaps even impossible to revert our digestive tract, intestines and colon back to a thicker more youthful self?  Or perhaps the particular pathogen whatever it may be comes back or is not easily or completely erradicated?  I'll keep trying searching and experimenting.  
Been trying the D-limonene that the doc recommended on that show I linked.  It's a huge gel pill and when you burp, man like you ate an orange tree-bitter.  But seems to be helping curb some of the digestion stress, which may calm the vagal nerve.  I don't know much about this d-liminone tho'.

Ginger still seems to be helping too.  Digestive Enzymes, not so much.  But I take it anyhow, figuring it can't hurt.  Read about a herbal liquid that's good for Roemheld but name has escaped me and I need to get my google goggles back on...
Hey everybody,
I'm still in the midst of going through testing. I am back on another 6 month regimen of iron supplements. I'm going to assume, at this point (which is stupid to do) that it totally has something to do with my digestive issues. I still need to do the urea breath test to check for h.pylori, but Im having a hard time going 4 hours without eating or drinking. Again, due to the digestive issues. I'm going to list some issues that I've been dealing with over the years plus medications that Im on. If any of you are willing to do the same, maybe we can narrow down some things we all have in common that could potentially be a link to this disorder.
-I am easily stressed out and have been high strung and uptight with stress for a large portion of my life.
-I am known to be a worry wart as well.  
-I also suffered from anxiety and panic attacks as well as depression. (more so in the past as it seems to be at bay for awhile now, knock on wood)
-The stress from this condition has caused agoraphobia in the past (I was afraid to leave my house for months)
-I have nodules on my thyroid
-I have been on an antidepressant (Celexa) for 15 years or so. (I also wondered if this issue is a long term effect of that?)
-I was diagnosed with PVC's (premature ventricular contractions)
-I'm about 20lbs overweight, but I still had the symptoms when I was at my ideal weight for my height. So, maybe that's not it.
-Sweet things seem to cause my stomach more distress than anything else. I haven't tried an elimination diet yet.
I think that's it? If I can think of anything else, I'll post it. Anybody have similar problems or anything different they could add that maybe others could relate to?
Talk soon!  
Hello.  Yes, stress is a huge factor with digestive problems and just about everything else.  Eventually the stress beyond the physical ills mutates into anxiety and from axiety stems phobias.  Medications have known as well as unknown side effects.  Always look to see what the known side effects might be and discuss with your doctor to weigh the pro's and cons as to whether you should take any particular meds.  Sweet things upsetting the stomach could indicate a possible yeast problem or bad bacteria over taking your good bacteria.  All the things you mention can have an affect on your health and how you feel.  There are a lot of other factors as you'll see if you browse these post.  Is there a connection between all this and afib?  I and others believe there is a relation between afib and something going awry in the digestive tract particularly in an area that seems to trigger the vagus nerve.  So in theory figure out, modify and correct your digestive woes and the afib will go away.  It did for me making me a firm believer.  My mission now is to figure out how to strengthen my digestive tract enough so it doesn't return.  The sad thing and what makes this so difficult is that you have two sets of ailments and symptoms that very little is known about.  Got acid take an antacid.  Got gas take a gasx.
Got a combination of bot take xanax.  All approaches that does more harm than good.  We need to learn at a young age what is truly healthful for our bodies, what to avoid and what to do about certain things so we can avoid these problems as we grow older.  Good luck and thanks for posting.
Much applause and thank you so much.
Try the linden method, it really helped me with anxiety and give your anxiety a name like Bert and treat it like a person sitting on your shoulder when it raises it's ugly head say to it oh hi Bert, so your going to spend the day with me, acknowledge it and move on also try deep sleep ap. Linden method is also on ap.As a highly stressed individual anxiety I believe has been the route cause of my stomach upsets and Afib. I feel for anyone with anxiety as it is not nice but there is help.
Hello delcocat and my all my fellow a-fibbers. I am very pleased that I came across this forum.  I had my first a-fib (actually I started with a-flutter, which is almost the same thing)  episode 19 years ago.  My paroxysmal a-flutter and a-fib does not convert to sinus on its own; I have to go to the hospital and get shocked.  I have been electronically cardioverted eight times since 1995 (only once did the drugs work in converting me to sinus). In the beginning, I  had an episode every few years--usually after a weekend of drinking.  Later, I had episodes with no alcohol involved.   I was ablated for a-flutter in 2009 and for a-fib in 2012 because the number and severity of my palpitations greatly increased causing me terrible anxiety.  I found both procedures to be helpful even though I was not cured. The number of PAC and PVCs I had were greatly decreased.
I have always felt there was a connection between my stomach issues: GERD, bloating, hiatial hernia...etc.  and my palpitations. In April of 2013, I went into a-fib while playing basketball; it was the first time I had exercise induced a-fib.  After a night in the hospital and another cardioversion, I had a talk with the cardiologist.  He told me that my had to lose weight. In my quest find out why it was so difficult for me to lose weight, I came across information on Candida.  I read up on it because I had ten out ten symptoms of candida overgrowth. I began to follow the advice of the holistic specialists on the internet.  I was very skeptical of holistic medicine (actually I thought they were nuts), but I am now a believer.  I started to take apple cider vinegar for my GERD and I was shocked that I was able to come off of the PPIs. I also started using strong probiotics and something called diatomacious earth.  I lost 50 pounds in 14 months without dieting (I did avoid bread and sugar but no Atkins style low carb).  My PVCs and PACs are almost gone. I used to have two or three significant rumbles a day.  I can now go ten days without a "skipped" beat. Full disclosure: I was cardioverted a month ago, but it was because of all the success I had been having, where I started to think I was cured.  I have not had more than one drink per month for four years.  Last month, I had three beers one night and green tea and a coke the next day, needless to say I ended up in the ER.  I learned the hard way that I have only come to better manage my a-fib, not cure it.  
Hey, not all a-fib is the same and we all do not have exactly the same causes.  However, if you are reading this forum, you are probably someone that believes, like me, that the digestive system is at a minimum, in the mix if not the cause.  The connection between the digestive tract and heart rhythm is undeniable for me--I don't care what any doctor has to say to the contrary.  To my fellow a-fibbers that are overweight, crave sweets/alcohol, have anxiety, belch and fart a lot, have GERD, and or a sliding haitial hernia, please check out apple cider vinegar on the net.  You can even look  it up on Amazon and read what thousands of GERD sufferers have reported.  I know it is counter intuitive, but people suffering acid reflux actually do better with more acid in their stomach than less. When combined with a daily regime of probiotics, diatomacious earth, and suppliments like caprylic acid and oregano oil, it is powerful medicine for balancing your digestive tract and working on the acidity of your body.   One word of advice, do not try to do this all at once.  It takes several months to safely get candida under control.  I pushed a few times and had a few Herkimers reactions.  Slow and steady is the way to go. Many of the experts, are skeptical about curing candida. Personally, I have found that I can only control it. However, when the cravings are reduced and the bloating diminished, you can start the path to better health and fewer heart rhythm issues.  Good luck.
Glad you found this site and have found it helpful.  Good post and it too is helpful.  All the things you mention I have tried and recomended from time to time.  Also going slow and watching out for what combinations to use is good advice.  While these are natural products they can be very powerful.  Oregano oil is very powerful and you need to be careful not to over due as it can hurt the stomach and intestinal lining and kill off good bacteria as well.  Candida as I too have mentioned in the past is definately a part of the equation for many.  Very tough to irradicate since its outer shell layer (called chitin) is like armor that our immune systems can not penetrate but that said believe it or not a small amount of yeast may actually be needed by the body however there must be a balance.  Another thing that I have used in my arsenal with great success are coloidal silver, iodine (drops in water taken internally - careful!) and wormwood and black walnut tincture.  After about a weeks regimine I too thought I was cured and for about 1 1/2 months effectively I was since I was litterally able to eat anything I wanted without bloat or bother and of course afib and I was ecstatic!  After that however it came back.  This could not have been coincidence but it solidifies your point that at this time no matter what it is that works for you, me or someone else right now its not a permanent cure.  Exciting however because I feel with the right research perhaps one day it can be a permanent cure.  I have to also mention stress is a huge factor and who isn't stressed today?  I am and have been so passionate about this that if I was lucky enough to stumble upon a cure I would share it with all and not want or have to make a single penny on it.   I think many visiting this board would also do the same and so I thank each and everyone who has posted and shared their own experiences here with us.  In the beginning prior to starting this and another sister post it seemed I was the only one out there at the time experiencing this and many times felt very alone, worried and at times thought was it just me or was I going crazy!  I guess with all your help I have proven that I wasn't and you all have proven you aren't either.  So heres to good health and finding a cure hopefully one day soon.
I would like to thank you for posting this. I have had a very similar experience to yours, and most of the time, I feel so alone and that no one can understand what I am going through. Family members try to offer support, but the bottom line is that there is only so much they can understand, and the constant episodes of a fib really impact my life and that of my family. I wish there was an in person support group where I live, but there is not. I am at the point where they are considering an AV node ablation and pacemaker insertion.
I am so glad to find this blog. I have been dealing with AFIB since 2005, and have always thought it was connected with digestive issues as I have had them my whole life. I was doing great, only 3 episodes a year and most were short. All because I changed my diet, also treated myself with Mastic Gum for diagnosed H.pylori and it cured the bacteria. I was very sick, lost close to 25 lbs, but I got through it. I have a bad knee so at the end of 2013 I started a series of shots which included Cortisone, and also a shot what they put directly into  the knee to build up the cushion that has disappeared with time (I am 73). The shots worked but I started having more AFIB episodes, and two have put me in the hospital where they put me on Cardizam, mouth and vein. So, I was pumped full of it. This all happened within 45 days apart. My EP is suggestion ablation or pacemaker. I want neither. I think my current AFIB was caused by the shots in my knee, and the stomach issue now is from the Cardizam. I was completely medicine free ever since I tried Beta Blockers when I was first diagnosed, and they almost destroyed my life. I am Gluten free, and eat healthy. But, I am now facing stomach issues that I can't get a handle on, and it scares me to think I would have another bad AFIB episode from this situation. Every thing I eat hurts me. I did try some Mastic Gum again as H.pylori comes back sometimes. That has hurt me also. I have used Gas X and that helps with the bloating, however I don't want to make another issue by using too much of that. I say all of that to say that I believe my AFIB comes from the digestive issues I have had all my life, and now they are even worse because of medication, and I am so happy to find that others out there believe digestion has a lot to do with AFIB, just wish a doctor or two would realize that.
Hi i was very interested in your story I am trying at the moment to get the medical people to listen to what I am saying I have just been told I have Af and have just come out of hospital for rapid Af. It all starts from my stomach I had eaten food that I should have known better but when i say it starts with my stomach they shake there heads it is so frustrating. Now i have read your story I feel better about my condition.
On my doc's notes, I notice he wrote that I think the bloat/gas triggers the afib, and he said, he thinks it's the reverse.  how could that be?  It kind've happens simultaneously so I'm not sure.  But it seem to make more sense, the bloating is pressing up and pushing on stuff which makes everything go haywire.  I have to let out the loudest, harshest beleches.  Sometimes my esophagus hurts and after awhile, due to all the belching, I get some burn from the acid.  All the while dealing with my heart racing and short of breath.  This lasted all day yesterday.  I get it daily, and sometimes can go a few days without.  It seems to come no matter what I eat or don't eat.  

What's weirdest thing is I can often predict the times and days it comes, almost like clockwork.  
Have AF since 1993....once a month mostly, came across an article recommending coconut water for AF. So far it's stopped 3 onsets,drank it right away. Do not know how or why....yet!   Vagal most likely.

As for ablation.........it's just hit n' miss and dangerous. IMO

The new kid on the block comes from "Topera" targets the rotors..82% or so success rate, looks promising.

G/L
Viewing 201-287 comments: