Heart Disease Expert Forum
Atrial Fibrillation & sleeplessness
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Atrial Fibrillation & sleeplessness

I first experienced Atrial Fib in Jan. of 1994. My heart corrected itself then
  and I  had no problems with it, until about 2 weeks ago when I went into
  A Fib again. A major problem this time is that I cannot fall asleep.  I feel
  drowsy most of the time, but if I lie down and attempt to go to sleep, then
  as the moment when I would normally "drop off" approaches, I begin to experience severe
  palpitations & shortness of breath which prevents sleep. This condition began
  slowly when I first went into A Fib, and progressed, and now occurs pretty much 100%
  of the time. Wed. Thurs. & Fri. of last week, I had a total of less than 1 hour of sleep.
  Perhaps you can imagine how I felt on Friday.  On Friday my doctor put me on
  atenolol, and gave me a prescription for sleeping pills (temazepam). I also
  take digoxin,coumedin, lisinopril, and levothyroxin (levothyroxine). I would be interested in
  knowing if anyone else has had a similar experience, and if so, how the coped
  with is.
  Howard
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Howard
Has your doctor tried to convert your heart rhythm back to normal? That might be the best way to be able to get  some sleep again. Also, has your doctor checked whether you are on too much thyroid medication?
I hope this is useful. Good luck. Feel free to write back with further questions.
If you wish to be evaluated here at the Cleveland Clinic, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE for an appointment with a cardiologist at desk F15. Information provided in the Heart Forum is for general purposes only. Specific diagnoses and therapies can only be provided by your doctor.