Heart Disease Expert Forum
Atrial Fibrillation
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Atrial Fibrillation

I had open heart surgery in 1986 for stenosis of the mitral valve.The valve was just cleaned out.
  I did have Rhumatic Fever when I was a child.
  I now have stenosis of the mitral valve, approx. 40 to 50%
  also have a leaking bicuspid.
  I've always experienced palpatations for which I have been taking several medications.  propanol, toprol etc.
  Last fall I was changed to beta pace after suffering an attack of atrial fibrillation.   Rythm was restored by electric shock.
  I have had three attacks of atrial fibrillation in the last couple of months.  The last one I was given 180 M of cardizem plus increas of beta pace from 160m per day to 240.
  I became so dizzy I couldn't even dress and was again admitted to hospital.  This time the rythm had returned but was beating so slow I was put on strick bed rest until medication wore off.
  My question is--shouldn't I get a full evaluation from someone like the Cleveland Clinic?  How can I get my doctor (He is a cardiologist) to reccommend me?  I asked him and he said He was evaluating me every time I come in.  He says it's just a matter of  getting me the right doses of the medication.
  I'd appreciate any advice I can get.
  By the way--I'm from Dr. Cosgrove's home town and I've followed his career with much interest.
  Thank you
  Jeanne