Heart Disease Expert Forum
Atrium size
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Atrium size

Posted By Anthony on December 20, 1998 at 23:19:09:

Hi                                                        On my first echo left atrium was 4.0cm with normal limits of 2.0--4.0cm.On the report says under the heading of left atrium/pulmonary veins "The left atrial cavity appears mildly dilated".Also on the report says that I have trivial tricuspid and mitral valve regurgitation.Tricuspid valve regurgitant velocity is 200.0 cm/s and RV systolic prssure is 21mmHg.On the second echo (at different doctor) LADs was 3.8cm with normal limits of 2.0--4.0cm.When I asked a doctor if left atrium is dilated, he said no.He also told me that valves are normal.Questions.1.What does "The left atrial cavity appears mildly dilated" mean and is it dilated because of trivial tricuspid and mitral valve regurgitation?2.How significant is tricuspid valve regurgitant velocity of 200.0cm/s and RV systolc pressure of 21 mmHg?Well, I know that LVIDd enlarges because of physical activity(fitness) and LVPWd and IVSd follow to a lesser extent.3.Does left atrium also enlarges with physical fitness on the level of LVIDd or LVPWd and IVSd?Thank you.Anthony