Heart Disease Expert Forum
Atypical Chest Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Atypical Chest Pain
Is there a documented reason that can explain, why when experiencing "atypical chest pain" with MVP, the true pain is always followed by palpitations. It is not related to a nervous response to feeling the pain, because it happens within seconds and catches me off guard. The pain and or pressure can last seconds to minutes at a time. I always understood cardiac questions to cover "Do you have chest pain, with palpitations, dizziness, etc." Why is that not a concern to a structural defect like bileaflet MVP of a moderate degree with MR? Is the heart muscle suffering from decrease blood flow for a few seconds? Thank You for your help!
Dear CT,
Individuals diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse (MVP) often report symptoms of chest pain and palpitations.  However, it is not clear why MVP should cause either pain or palpitation.  It may be related to some dysfunction in the autonomic nervous system (ANS) as these individuals often have abnormal findings when ANS testing is performed.   In any case beta-blockers often will help both of these symptoms and you should discuss with your doctor the possibility of trying this medication once other causes of the pain and palpitation have been excluded.