Heart Disease Expert Forum
Atypical chest pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Atypical chest pain
Posted By Charlotte  on December 09, 1998 at 15:13:58:

I am a 55 y/o female with a strong family history of diabetes but am unaffected at this time.  I also have hypothyroidism treated with .15 Synthroid with a TSH of 2.09.  I was evaluated for atypical chest pain and have had an echo showing R and L atrial enlargement and L ventricular hypertrophy.  Recently I have had an increase in episodes of atypical chest pain which usually starts in my R jaw and may or may not proceed to my mid-chest.  I become diaphoretic, my BP generally goes above 170/90 (my normal is about 135/80) and my EKG shows no ectopy.  Nitro helped during this last episode which lasted more than 20 minutes.  Usually I just stop what I'm doing and ride it out knowing it will eventually subside.  When I was first diagnosed with hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's thyroiditis) I was having these pains at least once a month preceded by a week or so of increasing fluid build-up where I felt SOB.  An echo at that time showed MVP but once I was medicated appropriately the episodes decreased to no more than once or twice a year.  My echo no longer shows prolapse and a thallium exercise treadmill was essentially normal.  I still precede these episodes with the build-up of fluid, feeling more and more SOB until the chest pain occurs.  I have diuresed heavily afterwards with no diuretics.  My Internal Medicine doctor is at a loss and told me to try some research on my own.  My labs are essentially normal except for an LDH of 1250 and an AST of 49 which is a change.  Chest X-ray is WNL except for a linear density in the left base which is unchanged.  I told my doctor I'm just low on naturietic (?sp).  He just laughed.  He offered me a return visit to the cardiologist and if that evaluation is normal then a work-up with an EGD, etc.  I have a mildly progressive decreased exercise tolerance in the last year or so but am otherwise essentially healthy, working daily at my nursing job and maintaining my home.  I would appreciate any other suggestions you might have for follow-up.