Heart Disease Expert Forum
Av Node Ablation and CRT-P

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Av Node Ablation and CRT-P

Hello

Last year my father was hospitalized due to episodes of AF.  He converted back to sinus rhythm twice but only for a short time. He has an enlarged left atrium which made the ablation surgery more risky.  With an EF of 35-40.

A short time later he was hospitalized with Acute CHF and they done an AV Node Ablation and put in a CRT-P.

It took him nearly 6 months to start feeling well again and now 17 months later he still feels pretty well.  He keeps active by attending events, helping out around the community etc..

He doesnt walk everyday, especially on days that he works 12 hour shifts.  But sometimes on the weekends he will walk 2 miles, 3 miles or even 4 miles.

How long can these improvements last?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Dear bowhunter,

It  looks like that your father had a pretty complicated cardiac course, and hence it is difficult for me to give you an accurate recommendation over the Internet, without reviewing the entire history in detail.  however, I would try to give you some helpful advice.

I am glad to note that your father has done well after his procedure.  AV nodal ablation is the last treatment resort that is  used for atrial fibrillation.  it entails burning  the connection between the top and the bottom chambers of the heart such that the impulses from the top chambers of the heart do not conduct to the bottom chambers. In order to keep the heart beating, the cardiologist put in a pacemaker, which paces both the bottom chambers of the heart in synchrony.

This is indeed a great treatment strategy and it appears that it has worked well. With  a close follow-up and a close monitoring of the pacemaker,  these changes are likely to last long and I suspect that your father is going to feel great for years to come.

hope that helps
CCFHeartMD19