Heart Disease Community
BPM and Blood Pressure

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

BPM and Blood Pressure

After my last check up - my BPM (beats per minute) and blood pressure sounded low to me.  My blood pressure was 90 / 60 and my bpm was only 57.  Because my bpm was so low - I've been testing it myselff and I average under 60 beats per minute while resting.  Is this ok?  I try to be healthy - run, bikram yoga, swim, bike... and exercise faithfully at least 6 times a week.  I have ran two full marathons and two half marathons.  Should I be concerned?  
Avatar n tn
Low BPM and low blood pressure (within reason) are normal for folks who do a lot of running.  The 90/60 seems a bit low to me, but it also depends on how and when it was taken.  My bpm is about 50-55, sometimes lower, and I've had a lifetime of soccer training.  I know distance runners with BPMs 35-45.  -Arthur
Thanks.  I was thinking the low bpm was good - and I've heard before that runners have low bpm, but I am concerned about the low blood pressure and wasn't sure if the too were related or not.  What can cause low blood pressure and should I do anything about it?  When the nurse checked it, she said it was low but not to worry about it unless it drops to 70/40.  I don't check my blood pressure regularly so I wouldn't know - The only time it gets checked is when I go in for check ups or doctor's vists.  It has been decreasing over the last 6 months to a year.  Is there anything that causes the blood pressure to decrease?