Heart Disease Community
Bare Metal Stent vs Drug Eluding Stent

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Bare Metal Stent vs Drug Eluding Stent

Which is safer for a diabetic,  BMS or DES?  From what I read your at a higher risk of restenosis with the BMS.
Does anyone have any good information on this?

There have been a number of small studies on this, and the outcome has been contradictory. Some results say BMS is better, some say DES is better and some say there is no difference at all. A large study by the AHA found that after 3 years, the mortality risk with BMS was 20.7% while DES was 17.5%. Small difference, but still significant across thousands of patients in the study.
I'm diabetic, and have both types of stents, bare-metal and coated.  I've been fortunate, I've had no significant restinosis with any of them.  If memory serves, I have five bare-metal and three coated, some for as long as twelve years.  I don't have any research to support my opinion, which is diet, exercise and proper medications are more important than the type of stent.  I also have experienced when a coated stent couldn't be inserted in a narrow artery but a bare-metal, being smaller, could, so it isn't always something you can control.  

Another thought, controlling type I and type II diabetes is very important to control CAD.  I have gone through three sessions of rehab after cardiac events, and always before and after aerobic exercise, diabetics are asked to check their blood glucose levels.  Always almost everyone has to check.  Diabetes and CAD simply go hand in hand.
Have you heard anything about the canadian research that was being done on diabetes? The last time I read an update, they had discovered an enzyme missing, which instructs the pancreas to do 'its stuff'. When injected with this enzyme, they found the pancreas in mice returned to total normal activity, for 2-3 months, then another injection was required. Just wondered if human trials had begun yet?
You've been very helpful  in your reply. Thank you.
Are you on plavix for the coated stents?  If so, did you ever have surgery where you had to stop the plavix for 7days. If your completly off the plavix, when were you able to stop it after the coated stents were put in?
Great question.
I went through a  period of very aggressive CAD, and my Cardiologist kept me on Plavix for almost five years, so I took Plavix with both types of stents during that period.  Yes, I did have surgery for a bowel obstruction when taking Plavix, and indeed, it was a huge issue.  I did have to have transfusions and my Cardiologist was part of the bowel surgery team, but I'm still standing, today I worked out at the fitness center.
If your doctors are recommending coated stents, I'd pay close attention and trust them.  I'll go back to my original comment, I'd keep your diabetes in tight control, reduce risk factors.  That's much more important than what type of stent is inserted.
Best wishes.
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Paxiled commented on Individuals with soci...
Susanmyocardial Susan Comment
specialmom commented on Lose Weight and Boost...