Heart Disease Expert Forum
Bell chest
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Bell chest

We were told by our pediatrician that our 12yo son has
  a "bell chest" and may need surgery to repair this in the
  future. I can not find any information on this disorder.
  He said we should not worry until he reaches puberty.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear TThomp
A "bell chest" is sometimes used to refer to any number of deformities of the chest wall. These abnormalities can occur in isolation, or be associated with underlying heart diseases. The chest wall sometimes needs to be surgically repaired for functional reasons (chest is compressing heart or lungs) or cosmetic reasons. You should definitely call your pediatrician and find out what he was specifically referring to when he used the term.
I hope this is useful. I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to write back with further questions.
If you would like to set up an appointment with one of our cardiologists here at the Cleveland Clinic please feel free to call 1-800-CCF-CARE.
Information provided in the Heart Forum is intended for general medical informational purposes only. Actual diagnosis and treatment of any particular medical condition can only be made by your physician(s).