Heart Disease Community
Benadryl prevents SVTs!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Benadryl prevents SVTs!

I have endured frequent bouts of supraventricular tachycardia, several every day, since I turned 53. I had 2 ablation procedures with no success.  Thirteen years of never knowing when it will trigger.  It stops me in my tracks if awake and wakes me up from a sound sleep. I try all the manuevers imaginable with little success.  One lasted over 3 hours and they had to use endisone to stop it.  I don't get dizzy or faint and no chest pains, but my chest hurts on prolonged events and afterwords I get a headache.  I also have terrible sinus problems and my doc recommended I take Benadryl in the evening to alleviate the symptoms.  Low and behold I found that taking 25mg of benadryl at night PREVENTS my SVTs for a good 16 hours!  I tested this over and over and it always works.  If I don't take it the next day they are back.  Took it for a week straight - no events at all.  How wonderful it is not to worry about one triggering while driving, or at work or makng whoopy!  So that being said, what is the long term downside of prolonged use of benadryl, particularly 25mg at night and 10mg in the morning.  I feel a little sleepy at times but it is so much better than battling SVTs.  If others out there suffer from SVTs as I do, take the test for yourself and let me know.

This discussion is related to Another PVC Incident.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Long term effects you can develop tolerance to the medication. Short term it causes drowsiness as a side effect.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Interesting.
I have taken Benadryl occasinally for quite some time and Dimatab, before it was taken off the market. It kept my nasal passages clear at night for a more restful sleep. Now I found out I can't take it anymore. I feel my heart pounding in my chest when I take it for about 24 hours after and my BP goes up by ~15mm HG.
I have heard about the pounding heart side effect on other forums. It appears that some will get this and others do not. I should point out that I am on bp meds (beta blocker and calcium channel blocker as well as aspirin).  My bp is well controlled even with benadryl.  I really would like to know the scientific explanation of what benadryl actually does to affect the heart in such differing ways.  It calms mine but ramps up others!  
I am new to SVT's & looking for any and all info. I can find about the condition.  So far, I haven't had more than a handfull and have not yet visited a specialist.  Thank you for your post!  I know your technique may not work for everyone, but it's definitely worth a shot:-)  The human body & the way medicine affects it, is all very fascinating to me.  I am actually studying to be a nurse, now:-)  I had to receive adenosine earlier today at the ER.  I am curious... Do you know what the underlying cause is for your SVT??