Heart Disease Community
Bicuspid Aortic Valve

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Bicuspid Aortic Valve

I'm 24, just was diagnosed with a bicuspid aortic valve, and not entirely understanding the ramifications of my diagnosis.  

Q::: Is it the same thing as BAVD?
Q::: Will I need surgery, and if so when?
Q::: Do I need to make any lifestyle changes? Right now I'm an active musician and perform just about twice a month with my band on the weekends, I work as a medical records clerk in a high stress clinic, and I'm still a part time student.

If you haven't noticed I'm kinda freaking out, my cardiologist is nice enough but didn't really take the time to explain all this to me.  Any imput would be greatly appreciated.
What you have is genetic and something you was actually born with. Some people with BAV have no problems in their lives, it depends really if the valve ever becomes dysfunctional. If necessary, due to functional problems, the valve will have to be replaced later in life. You can't obviously say if yours will become dysfunctional or not. Yours could be one of the valves that never presents a problem. I expect your cardiologist will want to monitor you from time to time, to make sure there are no changes. I also suspect they will keep an eye on your Aorta because patients with BAV often have weak aorta walls.
Life style changes? well, my opinion is EVERYONE should make healthy lifestyle changes. We are all susceptible to many nasty outcomes if we don't look after our body.
Ditto what ed34 said. I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve and had it replaced at age 20 due to a bacterial infection that attacked the valve. That was 32 years ago so although heart surgery is not something you will enjoy if it becomes necessary the prognosis for a long life is good for you in any case.