Heart Disease Community
Bicuspid Valve

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Bicuspid Valve

Hi my name is bilal im 19 years old and i had a echo done 5 months ago showing a bicuspid valve the doctor didnt even mention this to me and just gave the report to my consultant (skin consultant) i got hold of it once by chance when she went out and then i realized it stated under the cardio section of her records that i had a "bicuspid valve otherwise no other defects" but after 3 to 4 months i had a rapid heartbeat of around 190 bpm i went hospital and the doctors stated that i had a fever of 39.7 which was very high which caused the fast heart beat they did 5 ecgs tests and said they could not find anything. But after being discharged after 4 days i started college and had these very strange scary feelings of fainting and sweating allot could any help me please.
ooops forgot to mention family history my brother died of cardiomyopathy at age 7 so i do have a family history of heart problems i also have heart murmurs.
Tags: help
Hello Billy or Bilal?
A bicuspid aortic valve is a defect of the aortic valve that results in the formation of two leaflets or cusps instead of the normal three. Normally only the mitral valve(bicuspid valve) has two cusps (instead of three); situated between the left atrium and left ventricle. Valves ensure the unidirectional flow of blood from the atrium to the ventricles, or the ventricles to the major arteries and veins.
In many cases, the condition will cause no problems. However, especially in later life, a bicuspid aortic valve may become calcified, which may lead to varying degrees of severity of aortic stenosis and aortic regurgitation, which will manifest as murmurs. If these become severe enough, they may require heart surgery.
The condition can be associated with a heart murmur located at the right 2nd intercostal space. Oftentimes there will be differences in blood pressures between upper and lower extremities. The diagnosis can be assisted with echocardiography and chest x-ray. "Rib notching" is often noted on chest x-ray.
Most patients with bicuspid aortic valve whose valve becomes dysfunctional will need careful follow-up and potentially valve replacement in their third or fourth decade of life.

Patients with bicuspid aortic valve should be followed by cardiologist or cardiac surgeon with specific interest in this valve pathology.

Average lifespan is similar to that of those without the anomaly.(so don't worry)
About 1-2% of the population have bicuspid aortic valves, although the condition is nearly twice as common in males.(again so don't worry)

It is more common than any other congenital cardiac anomaly.

Bicuspid aortic valve has been found to be an inheritable condition, with a demonstrated association with Notch Familial clustering as well as isolated valve defects have been well documented. The incidence of bicuspid aortic valve can be as high as 10% in families affected with the valve problem. Other congential heart defects are associated with bicuspid aortic valve at various frequencies.

Another important fact is the aorta of patients with bicuspid aortic valve is not normal. The aorta of a patient with a bicuspid aortic valve does not have the same histological characteristics of a normal aorta. The tensile strength is reduced. These patients are at a higher risk for aortic dissection and aneurysm formation of the ascending aorta. The size of the proximal aorta should be evaluated carefully during the work-up. The initial diameter of the aorta should be noted and periodic evaluation with64 slice CT scan (every year or sooner if there is a change in aortic diameter) should be recommended. Therefore, if the patient needs surgery, the size of the aorta will determine what type of surgery should be offered to the patient. Additionally, patients with bicuspid aortic valve are at higher risk of aortic coarctation, an abnormal narrowing of the thoracic aorta.With a fever of 39.7 there is no doubt in my mind that it probably caused the rapid heartbeat(tachycardia)although the ECG did not confirm this?strange..(anything over 100 BPM while resting is a tachycardia!).

My advice.you need to contact a good cardiologist ASAP for a good though work up
please do not think that they going to an accident and emergency room that they can help you with this possibly complex scenario that you may be suffering from.
they can help with heart attacks yes,but your problem needs and warrants in-depth testing,which can only be done within a dedicated clinic.

Please write back should you need further clarification.
Good luck,John.
Hey John its Bilal aka Billy

i just got a appointment from a cardiologist yesterday and im going on january the 8 2009 i just hope the bicuspid regurgitation hasnt got worser ill let you know about my results when i go thanks for taking the time to respond to my comment cheers and take care
forgot to tell you that they did do a chest x-ray 2 months ago at west middlesex hospital west london and the emergency doctors said it was normal  they all seem to say the same dam thing ANXIETY but never bother to give me a decent test besides those lame ECGS well ill give that cradiologist something to remember if he/she doesnt give me all the possible tests regarding the heart. Moving on this morning around 11 am i had another pulse rate attack today with a pulse of 132 bpm from doing nothing which is scary i layed down and it reduced to 98-100 but as soon as i get up it increases which is strange after about 45 minutes it was down to 78bpm this is seriously annoying because i missed college its getting very frustrating.
Hi Billy,yes this needs sorting out asap,so you can get on with your life.
Now that you have an appointment,don't forget you can also ring up the appointments desk and see if they have any earlier cancellations,personally I think with your symptoms and family history that date is too far away.Billy its also very important that your very pro active and ask many questions to the cardiologist even if you have to write them down before the meeting,its also important to let them know that you wont be fobbed off lightly! and know your rights and whom to make a complaint to,because you have rights as a patient.I understand how you feel with these heart problems,I feel them too!130-160 bpm!so please do not feel alone!,because your not.your a very young man with a bright future and this needs sorting out.
take care.
john.