Heart Disease Expert Forum
Bicuspid valve and pregnant

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Bicuspid valve and pregnant

Hello I am 33 years old and I am 14 1/2 weeks pregnant. I have a bicuspid valve that was discovered in 1998.  It has almost been 10 years since I have known that I was born with this congenital defect. For the last 9 years I have pretty much have been living a normal life, working out,eating right and of course taking antibiotics before any dental procedures. My cardiologist advised me to see him in 10 years for a follow up. Since finding out that I am pregnant I wanted to make sure that there would be no complications during my pregnancy or delivery. I have been suffering from heart palpitations, flutters, and skipped beats. My OB said that pregnant women tend to have these symptoms during pregnancy because of the increased blood flow. I wanted to make sure that everything was ok so I made an appointment with my cardiologist. They did an ECHO as well as an EKG. The results came back from my ECHO and my doctor told me that I have mild to moderate regurgitation with my bicuspid valve and that there is no reason why I should not experience a normal pregnancy. He told me to have it checked again next year. I am still worried though and it's causing anxiety and panic attacks and I don't want to have to experience this during my first pregnancy. My questions are...

1. Is this going to pose any problem during labor and delivery?
2. Is there any relation between the heart palpitations, flutters and skipped beats with having a bicuspid valve?
3. Having mild to moderate regurgitation will this lead to valve replacement? Is this a serious finding considering my test (transesophageal) that was done in 1998 there was a mild regurgitation?
4. Should I see my cardiologist more than once a year?
5. Is there something I can do to prolong a valve replacement if needed?
6. Do symptoms of valve replacement come on suddenly?

Thank you for your time. J
1.  No
2.  I don't think so.  The regurgitation is not severe, there is no stenosis.  Aortic valve disease, especially, aortic regurgitation is very well tolerated during pregnancy.
3.  It may, but it will be a few years before you have to deal with this.
4.  Once a year is good for now.  You need to have yearly echo's.
5.  There are some meds you could take, but now when you are pregnant.  So nothing for now.  There is some weak evidence that taking cholesterol lowering meds and ACE inhibitors may prolong the need for replacement.
6.  No.