Heart Disease Expert Forum
Bigeminy

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Bigeminy

I have a question about bigeminy. I developed IST immediately after giving birth to my daughter 2 years ago. I had extreme exercise intolerance and was very physically limited. Medication did not help (I was on a very high dose of Toprol XL). My EF dropped from 65 to 40, so my EP recommended sinus node modification. I had 2 of them done last March. My EF went back up to 55 and I feel much better. I get occasional PVCs, but since September whenever I get even slightly upset, excited or nervous, I get several seconds of PVCs together. It feels like a full beat then a half beat. I have had a difficult time capturing them on an event recorder, but was told it was probably bigeminy. Most times this only lasts for 5 seconds or so, but once I had this rhythm for about 2 minutes. My question is, is this dangerous? Any information you could give me would be very much appreciated.
dbranden,

Thanks for the post.

Q:"My question is, is this dangerous?"

To answer this question, we need to know what is the rhythm.  Bigeminy in persons with an otherwise normal heart is not considered dangerous.  From the description provided, it is not possible to determine the arrhythmia.  Catching the arrhythmia on a holter should not be very difficult if you can get yourself upset.

Best of luck.
I have PVC's, NSVT, Couplets and take Toprol XL for this as well as a SVT.  I am scheduled for Minor Oral Sugery next week.  Wisdom teeth have got to go.  I am completely terrified.  Has anyone gone through general anesthesia with heart Arrhythmias.  I am going to the doctors office to have this done, but there will be a anthesiologist present.  I was told surgery would last an hour.  I was told by my regular internal med doc not to worry.  Cardiologist thought it should be okay, but at the office visit with him he was thinking the toprol was too much.  My heart rate was really slow that day.  Although most days it is way to fast, always about 100 bpm on beta blocker. I also have some form of a Pots syndrome, And I have a real sensitive vagal system.  Anyhow I am scared to death.  This past week my PVC's have increased don't know if it is from the stress or not.  I have been dieting and have lost 20 lbs.  I also have been excercising daily on treadmill for the last month.  If anyone has been through the general anesthesia with similar heart problems please give me any guidance or questions I should ask.  Been trying to post a question without luck here.
I had a hysterectomy (general anesthesia, almost 3 hr surgery) during a time when my PVC's etc were at their worst ever. I thought for sure the anesthesiologist was going to cancel it. I did fine, no one mentioned anything to me about arrythmias during the procedure, and for whatever reason they went away for 6 months!
You'll be fine
I also have PVCs and have had a prior heart attack. I had my wisdom teeth out a year ago, and I too was extremely nervous about it.  I did not have general anesthesia though - they used IV sedation on me.  My 2 lower wisdom teeth were impacted but my uppers were not.  I had no problems with the oral surgery or the IV sedation.  Can you get IV sedation instead of general anesthesia? It is less risky.

I have experienced bigeminy off and on for many many years. I have been told by cardiologists and electrophysiologist that in the setting of a normal heart , their prognosis is no different than that of isolated PVCs or several PVCs a minute, just a bit more uncomfortable.

Good luck , remember you are not alone, if that's of any comfort.

flip.

Just wanted to say I had major surgery some years ago. I was having pvcs like crazy at the time, went through surgery, was under for bout 4 hours, had pvcs until I left the hospital 5 days later, even though I could feel everyone, the doctors felt it was nothing to worry about. I survived major surgery, being under for 4 hours with pvc in the thousands daily. I wouldn't worry. I'm still around and that has been over a decade ago.

good luck, don't worry too much

flip(Lyn)
i would go for IV sedation as well, much less risky, and you dont remember a thing. I think Versed and Valium are one of the combos they use. had it for my wisdom teeth taken out as well.