Heart Disease Expert Forum
Blocked electrical passage?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Blocked electrical passage?

Anout a year ago I went to my doctor because I became aware of my heart 'beating out of my chest'.  I was in bed and it just started pounding, not fast or slow just pounding.  I had an initial ECG which showed up an abnormality.  I can't remember the exact medical term, but the doctor said in laymens terms that I had a blockage in or around the 'bundle of hiss'.  I had subsequent blood test for protein, cholesterol etc, and all were fine.  I was then referred to my local cardiac specialist who performed another, more detailed, ECG.  Walking back from the ECG unit with the results, I happened to notice that the computer had stated that it was indeed an abnormal ECG.  The specialist took one look and told me I was perfectly fine, but when I said about the computer readout, he said 'Oh that's nothing you've probably had it all your life, it just means that you're more likely to need a pacemaker when you're 60 than the next man'.

The thing is, I have definitely not had this all my life, I can feel my heart beating every minute of the day, I can see it beating in my chest, and if I stand still my body moves with each heartbeat.  I don't really have shortness of breath although sometimes I do need to take a really deep breath to maintain a normal rythm.

The thing I did n't tell my doctor was that immediately prior to the start of my symptoms I had a day of heavy drinking, coupled with cocaine use.  I did n't do much, nothing since, and hardly anything before.

Could the drink/drugs have caused this?  What is it? and can it be treated?

Many thanks in advance
Pike,

Interesting story, but I'm not sure what to make of it.

Other people that have described these types of sensations to me have had nothing turn up or one of the following: abnormal thyroid function, recent change in weight, or anxiety disorder.  A couple of other conditions could possibly do this: mitral valve prolapse or Left bundle branch block.  Left bundle branch block could be associated with cocaine use; your doctor would probably be interested in obtaining an echocardiogram if he/she knew that you had used cocaine.

Good luck.

I'd STRONGLY suggest that you stop using cocaine!
Yep left bundle branch block, that certainly rings a bell.

FYI

I am 33, 5'11", 170 pounds (a little over 12st), play football twice a week, don't hardly drink, do smoke (10-15 / day).  And I have only tried cocaine about 4 times over a period of 8 years.  The last being easter 2002.  I only mentioned the drug thing, because I saw on TV last month that when you take cocaine and alcohol together, it can do permanent damage to your cardiovascular system, and I wondered whether I've done that.

So can anyone give me more information on what a left bundle branch block is please?

Thanx
Oops sorry forgot to mention that as I come from the UK, and I suspect this site is American, we may have slight terminology differences.  I have had 2 different ECG's or Electrocardiograms, are they what you call echoes or EKG's?  I have no other tests apart from blood tests, and thinking back they did check my thyroid.

thanx
Just a personal opinion here...I have tachycardia and resulting anxiety.  I cannot comprehend why anyone with any kind of cardiac anxiety and/or actual problem with their heart would use cocaine even once with all the information out there about abverse reactions.  Lowly caffeine causes serious problems for me so I stopped even that.    So I'll say this:  Friend, please don't ever use that or other illegal drugs again.  They are illegal for good reasons.  And alcohol?  Yes, it is legal but probably just as dangerous.  I will say a fervent prayer for your ability to never use this drug again.  ( go ahead and laugh if you wish I'm still going to do it )
I read the prior posts with interest.  My husband of 17 months died recently due to cardiac dysrhythmia.  He was 47, had untreated high blood pressure, and a family history of heart disease.  The autopsy showed he had used methamphetamines the night he died.
   I can't tell you the grief this has caused, mainly because I thought he had not used drugs in several years.
  If you have a history of heart disease,high blood pressure or high cholesterol, get treatment NOW.  Illegal drug use simply lights the fuse on the bomb, and should never, ever be used.
   My husband was not a stupid man - he attended Berkeley and Harvard, and was brilliant.  But when it came to his health and his addictions, he was in denial and failed to realize how precious his health was.
   Thanks for this forum.