Heart Disease Expert Forum
Blood Pressure, Heart Rate and Environment Temperature
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Blood Pressure, Heart Rate and Environment Temperature

Dear Dr.,
- Is there any relation between the environment temperature, blood pressure and heart rate?
jose,

I'll answer your questions in order as able.
(1) In a warmer climate, the blood vessels near the skin tend to dilate.  The dilation will tend to mildly lower BP and mildly raise HR.  The HR elevation will particularly occur if a person becomes somewhat dehydrated.

(2) My best guess is that your HR lowers after a swim because you are more relaxed.

(3) There is a definite link between HR and BP. As the BP goes down, say from mild dehydration or vasodilation, the HR will increase to maintain proper perfusion pressure.

(4) I have never heard any discussion of this topic.

(5) A few not-so-well-conducted trials have examined this question: hypochondriasis and "heart neurosis" were not associated with increased cardiac events. I should be publishing a more rigorous discussion of this topic later this year.

Hope that helps.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
CCFHeart MD25Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now