Heart Disease Expert Forum
Blood Pressure High after Anesthesia
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Blood Pressure High after Anesthesia

I am a 52 year old female. A couple of years ago I had a partial thyroidectomy and last year I had a routine colonoscopy. Both times after coming out of the procedure my blood pressure was high. After the thyroidectomy they put me on 5 mg of Lopressor to get it down before they released me. After the colonoscopy they just watched it for quite awhile before releasing me. My blood pressure is not high normally.

After anesthesia, shouldn't my pressure be low? Can you give me reasons why it would be high. And should I be concerned.
Related Discussions
1551954_tn?1294273911
Actually you can have hypertension in the postoperative state.  It can be due to many things but usually due to sympathetic stimulation (surgery activates the fight or flight response inducing increase levels of norepinephrine).  This can lead to increased blood pressure on its own.  Other things such as pain which you may not have been aware of, extra IV fluids given during surgery, hypothermia, etc can all cause postop hypertension.  However, it would be very important to make sure that your blood pressure is not elevated at baseline because people who have even borderline elevated blood pressure are more prone to postop hypertension.  I would check your blood pressure 2-3 times per day for a week or so and write it down in a book.  Your blood pressure at all times should be less than 140/90 or if you are diabetes less than 130/80.  

Hope this helps.  
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979