Heart Disease Community
Blood Pressure Question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Blood Pressure Question

I was on 50mg of cozaar and I have been working out and loosing weight.  I was never that overwieght but lost 40 pounds (around 200 pounds at 5'9").

My doctor has decided to reduce my dosage since he think some of the strange feelings I have could be due to the medication and I think it is true since I see a difference already with a reduce dose.  My question is around blood pressure readings.  Typical readings of BP on 50mg and now at 25mg range from Max130/75 to 115/68 Min and on average are usually in 120's/70's

Does these numbers look OK?  The bottom number has never been higher than 78 for years....  One question I have is about the difference from Top to bottom.  Why would it go up to 130 and the bottom number not follow?  is this normal?  Cardiologist says I have a very dynamic heart and is completely normal.  he feels that I do not need to be on any blood pressure meds and feels that for me these are normal numbers.  Any input on these thoughts?  Was my previous doctor to easy to push meds years ago and maybe I should of never been on HPB meds?  What happens if I took BP meds when not really needed?

Tags: Cozaar
Your Cardiologist is right with these numbers you do not need meds, but what were your numbers when your doctor put you on BP meds?  Were they consistently over 120/80?  The guidelines for BP have been lowered.  Now a 120/80 is considered "pre-hypertensive".  Did he put you on BP meds with one high reading?  Or did he take several readings over a period of time or asked you to check your BP for a week or two, and he then decided to put you on BP meds.

If the Cardiologist says that your heart is normal, then it is.  As for the top and bottom numbers, my husband's bottom number hardly ever reaches 70, but the top number has gone as high as 190 before he was on BP meds.  His bottom # throughout his adult life was/is in the low 60's.  

If the bottom # goes over 90 they get hyper.

I would not worry about you taking BP meds in the past.  You're off of them now, I doubt they did damage to your body while you were on them.

Your Cardiologist says you do not need them that is who I would listen to.  He/she is the Specialist in that field.