Heart Disease Expert Forum
Blood Pressure range

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Blood Pressure range

Is a blood pressure of 131/80 in a reasonable range for an 83 year old male?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
I would say that broadly this is an acceptable blood pressure for someone your age. Generally blood pressure targets in patients with hypertension advocate for <140/90 with slightly lower goals for patients with diabetes and chronic kidney disease. With many of my older patients, I am very interested in how they tolerate a given blood pressure. For example, many older patients find themselves on several blood pressure medications and although the number looks good, they don't tolerate that level of blood pressure due to symptoms such as fatigue, dizziness, lightheadedness, etc. To put it in other terms, that blood pressure you mentioned is great if you are feeling well. However, if you are having frequent dizzy spells, fainting, feeling fatigued, or having frequent falls you should discuss with your physician whether or not this may be related to your blood pressure. In cases like that when it is thought that the level of blood pressure control is leading to adverse effects, then it is appropriate to loosen the goals slightly to a more tolerable range. I would also add to make sure you eat well and get plenty of exercise as this can be of great help for your blood pressure and overall cardiovascular health. Furthermore, make sure to be compliant with your medications and follow up regularly with your physicians as this will help keep things on target. Best of luck.
I'm not a doctor, but I'd say you are not in danger.
Are you taking any blood pressure drugs?

If you can read the following,  I think you'll be reassured.

http://consumer.healthday.com/circulatory-system-information-7/blood-pressure-news-70/new-blood-pressure-guidelines-raise-the-bar-for-taking-medications-683160.html

I would say that is excellent BP for an 83 year old.
Isn't that essentially what I told him?
My only question to him was whether that 131/80 was with or without drugs.

The article I linked  him to indicates he is well within a healthy range.
It's the same as mine iften is and I am 30 years younger, though overweight and unfit.  In the UK it would be regarded as the high end of the normal range. As tickertock says, that's very good at 83.