Heart Disease Expert Forum
Blood Vessel Pain in Neck

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Blood Vessel Pain in Neck

4 days ago, I was under a lot of stress preparing for out of town guests (Things weren't going well) and all of a sudden, I had a lot of pain in my right chest and also had a bad headache on the right side.  I attributed it to a storm system coming in.  I slept it off and was ok 4 days ago.

2 days ago, I developed a VERY strong pain in the blood vessels of my right neck, which grew to include the area from the middle of my ear to just below my clavicle on the right. When it first started, I had a "fat" feeling to some of my fingers of my left hand and a painful tingling in that hand.  I tried to sleep it off and it was still there, yesterday.  Yesterday, the pain grew to include my right chest, back, shoulder and arm.  There was increased pain on inspiration, some dizziness, a low grade fever, and a feeling of being cold (I was wearing a robe over my clothes in 80 degree weather). If I bent forward or coughed, the pain increased.  The pain in my  right arm was very strong so I rested with my arm raised and that seemed to help. Taking my blood pressure medicine and adding an aspirin did not help.  When the pain first began, the vessels along my neck were painful to the touch.  By last night, only the area at the base of my neck was painful.  Today, the pain is still in my neck if I breathe deeply (medium deep).  If I turn onto my right side, it feels as if my heart hurts.  Needless to say, I'm not lying on that side or breathing deeply.  I'm mostly exhausted with some general weakness.  All body parts and brain are working similar to prior to the episode.

I have a history of stroke, severe mitral valve regurgitation, and PVD.  There is no common or internal carotid on my left side and some stenosis in the internal and external carotids of the right side.  Heart catheterization a couple of years ago showed clean coronary arteries. I am 50.

So, here are the questions -  
1. If a woman has a heart attack, is the pain supposed to be centered in her chest and the pain remain on the left side of the body?  All of the pain from this episode pretty much remained on the right side of the body except when I leaned forward or turned on my right side.
2. With these symptoms, could the problem be with
my heart?  
my carotids?  
the veins in my neck?  
3. Should I contact my primary physician and/or cardiologist?  Since it is abating, do I just let it go?

Thanks alot for your help.  I know you can't diagnose over the net.  However, I have found that your information in the past has really helped make a difference in the questions I ask my docs and fill in the gaps to make their answers more complete.
kd
Tags: Pain, Neck, Heart, Chest
Dear kd,
I would definately get this checked out.  It could very well be your heart as the distribution of heart pain can be anywhere from the neck to the stomach.  There is no difference in pain distribution between men and women.  It is unlikely to be due to your veins but could be due to the carotid arteries.  I would probably start with your primary physician and he/she can refer you to the cardiologist if needed. Don't delay in getting this seen this week or sooner if the symptoms return.
Thanks, I'll put a call in to my primary.  The symptoms, while not as strong as yesterday, are persisting.
We just had a new water system put in last week.  We have well water.  It doesn't smell or taste right.  Could something in the water cause the symptoms I am having.

I know you don't usually respond to follow-ups but this has a bearing on what I am doing today.
kd
A related discussion, neck pain like in the vein of the left side was started.