Heart Disease Expert Forum
Blood Work Showing EXTRAORDINARY High Levels of Creatine Kinase

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I received blood work results back from LabCorp and my "Creatine Kinase, Total Serum" was totally out of range -- according to the Lab the normal range is between 24--173, mine is at 6,626!  What does this mean and is it dangerous? I have read that this enzyme has to do with muscle damage in the heart and liver.  My AST (SGOT) was at 194 and my ALT (SGPT) at 56.  I went to the doctor on Friday who took blood for a second more broke down reading.  The dr. said the elevated AST and ALT indicated liver damage.  My concern is about the Creatine Kinase that is so ridiculously high.  What does this mean?
You are right, that CK value is very abnormal. There are several possible causes, but the best way to sort these out is to repeat the test, examining some more specific tests. It sounds like your doctor has already done that. One cause of such a value is improper handling of the blood specimen and an artifactually high reading (lab error). ANother cause is a heart attack or stroke, though, if these were even remote possibilities, you would have probably been hospitalized by your doctor. Perhaps, most likely, it represents muscle inflammation/breadown, perhaps caused as a side effect of medication (such as cholesterol lowering medications) or due to some underlying disease. If this is the case, you would not want the CK level to get much higher, as it could cause kidney failure. The repeat blood work will hopefully clarify the situation.
I found this very interesting.  My 22-year old son went to the ER complaining of severe chest pain.  His CPK level was 18,000!  They did an ekg and said he had no evidence of heart attack.  They kept him in the ER for 10 hours, flushing him with IVs and then repeated the CPK level, which had dropped some but still greatly elevated.  His level is now normal, and after subsequent visits to an dr. and lots of bloodwork (including testing for muscular dystrophy), they still have no idea what caused this to begin with.  Prior to this incident he had been weight training and taking an herbal supplement (Ripped Fuel)which contains ma huang.  I thought this might have been the cause but the dr. said no.      He told my son it's likely he has some sort of degenerative muscle disease not yet recognized(!)
I had a routine yearly checkup today and was told my CPK levels were above 6,000. The doctor wants me to get tested again and discontinue all physical activity. Two days ago I went surfing for over 3 hours and yesterday walked for about 3 hours. I wonder if the high levels are due to excessive physical activity.
I am brasilian, and I would like to have more information about Creatine Kinase. I am studying Chemistry and I have to do an work about this enzyme. If you have some sites to give me or another way of information, I would be very grateful.
I am sorry about my english.
Thank you
Fernanda
I am sorry about my english.
Thank you
Fernanda
My email: ***@****
I have been taking 10 mg. per day of Zocor and am also on Atacand blood pressure medication.  I exercise moderately 3 times per week (running 2 miles). Recently, my blood tests indicated a Creatine Kinase total serum level of 275.  This appears on the high side since the index says the level should be between 54 and 186.  All other chemistries are normal. Your opinion please?
High doses of Anabolic Steroids will greatly increse blood levels of Creatine Kinase. My repeated experiance with A. Steriods has shown that I can induce CK level 25 times greater than mid-normal. In addition, weight training has been shown to elevate CK levels because of muscle breakdown. If you or your son have express high CK levels and are using Anabolic Steriods I think you may have found the cause. My muscles, especially my legs, became so week I couldn't stand. Two days latter I was fine. For some weightlifters who use steriods, CK levels are greatly affected by A. Steriods. I was able to induce CK levels and muscle weakness at will through A. Steriod injections.
I experienced severe muscle pain on both legs and arms and I
was sent for bloodwork. Results showed a Creatine Kinase level
of 237 which is considered high.  

I am a very healthy 52 yr. old woman going through menopause
and I was just wondering if this is something serious or is
this part of menopause is some way.  Please help.

Thank you.
Hi, I'm just wondering what "severely elevated" level of CK from a blood test is? I'm on Lipitor for high cholesterol, but have knocked it down considerably. HOwever, it said my total Creatine kinase was 326 - but I've looked in vain around medical websites to try and see what "severely elevated" levels are - I saw 18,000 and 6,000 in this posting. Does that mean 326 is really just a little high and nothing major?
A related discussion, High Levels of Creatine kinase was started.
A related discussion, high levels of cpk was started.
A related discussion, creatine kinase was started.
A related discussion, creatin kinase 1145 was started.
A related discussion, Re super high CK levels in athletes was started.