Blood clot in right inner thigh?

About me:
42M
smoker
mild Abdominal Aortic Calcification found incidentally on back x-ray in 2008
family history of heart attack (father deceased age 46/mom deceased age 73)
multiple cardiac tests done between 2007-2009 all with no negative findings

About a month ago I woke up and noticed a muscle type of pain in my right rear leg nearest where the hamstring and glute meet yet more toward the inner portion of that area.  While not excruciating I was concerned as I'd done nothing to cause this pain.  In the following 2 weeks I'd experienced intermittent pain in the same area.  Some days it was there and others it wasn't.  On the days it was there it was present again only intermittently and maybe a "4" at best on the pain scale of "1-10."  

I finally went to see my doctor and she palpitated the area and felt nothing unusual.  She had stated that the area I felt pain in was not an area where I would feel pain from any type of thrombophlebitis, and also not to worry about it being a clot.  Her concern was focused more on if it were in my groin area, which at that time it wasn't.  Now however, I've noticed the pain moving to my inner thigh (approximately 2-3" from groin) and have become more concerned.  I only have the pain intermittently, no swelling I can notice, no discoloration, and again mild to moderate pain.  It is tender to touch, present at rest with no increase I can notice upon walking, and again it is intermittent.  

Additionally I spend way too much time lying in bed (literally most of the day.)  That as well as being a smoker has me concerned that I may have some type of vascular issue and perhaps developed thrombophlebitis even if only superficially.  

Is it likely that this is muscular or nerve related as I believe the doctor suspected, or should I follow up on this?

Thank you sincerely in advance for any input!
Charles