Heart Disease Expert Forum
Blood donations after surgery
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Blood donations after surgery

I had triple bypass surgery in May 2001 at age 58. I had no symptoms or discomfort - just failed a stress test I'd requested when I noticed a 'new' shortness of breath when running the dog at night.  I didn't have a heart attack and my heart suffered no damage.  The vein was harvested from my left leg.

I was back to work in four weeks and have had no problems what-so-ever.   The only medication I take subsequent to the surgery is half of a 50mg Lopressor in a.m. and the remaining half in p.m.

I was so disappointed with my cardiologist that I fired him after the third surgical follow-up meeting and have been using my family practishioner since.  Together,  we monitor my physical condition, BP (avg 129/83 pulse 82), cholersteral (now a robust 97 down from 155 prior to surgery), weight (180 / 6'), etc.  I'll be taking my first stress test since the surgery, tomorrow. We plan to use it as a base-line for 6-mth comparisons. So far,  I'd say I've been lucky and worked hard to stay that way.

I have two questions:

1.  I was a regular blood donor prior to surgery. I gave about every 60 days.  I'd like to start giving again.  Is there any reason not to?  Perhaps just a few times a year? What do you advise?
2.  I understand that a typical graft (using a vein) may last approximately 10 years.  What should I be doing to improve the potential outcome of the second procedure (I'll be about 65-67),  which I understand is usually a bit trickier?

Thank you!