Heart Disease Community
Blood pressure and heart failure

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Blood pressure and heart failure

Anabolic steroids and the heart... Testosterone effects receptors in your kidneys which make your body produce more blood. More blood causes a rise in blood pressure, thus making your heart work harder all the time. Many people end up on beta-blockers to control blood pressure as a result. Also, cardiac muscle is not immune to the effects of steroids and can reportedly "bulk up" with long-time use of exogenous testosterone in excess of what your body would produce. I believe this is first shown as a spike in the top number of your blood pressure reading (correct me if I am wrong). For this a more selective beta-blocker is taken in the short-run. This muscle can eventually weaken or die and lead to heart failure. Anabolic steroids are great if you need your natural level restored. Elevated levels worked great in taking away the pain of my bad back through rebuilding the weak muscle around my structural spinal deficit. Yes, I do have high cholesterol and take a beta blocker, and anti-estrogen. It is much better than opiates, anti-depressants, and stuff to make you poop.

This discussion is related to testosterone.
This was in response to a question. It was supposed to be the answer, not the question. Sorry.