Blood pressure fluctuating from high to low ???
Hi -
I went to my pcp because I could feel my blood pressure was high and it registered as 194/95. He ordered lab work, then later that day sent me to the ER because my potassium level was 2.7. While I was there, my blood pressure dropped to 50/33.  I take 100 mg of Topamax a day for complicated migraines and 10 mg Maxalt Mlt prn for same, but I had taken no medication at all that day.  What would cause my blood pressure to fluctuate so dramatically?  I know my body well, and this is not the first time this has happened. The ER physician said this was a problem for my pcp, but my pcp is clueless and I need answers.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Have you had your aldosterone level tested to check for primary aldosteronism, which can cause low potassium and high blood pressure?  Kidney function?  Have you had your plasma free metanephrines tested, perhaps the best screening test available to try to rule out rare catecholamine emitting tumor called pheochromocytoma, which can cause episodic spikes in blood pressure and headaches?  Were you in tremendous pain when the blood pressure was high versus when it was low?