Heart Disease Expert Forum
Blood vessels thumping

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Blood vessels thumping

I've had a recurring peculiar problem with my blood vessels. All of a sudden they'll start thumping, shuddering, kind of just spazzing. One vessel or a bunch together, and often in several places. Most often:  in my left eye; in the upper middle part of my legs; underneath the left ear. Can also be in my foot, arm, or cheek. The quick fluttering in the vessels extends from a quarter of an inch, up to about six inches in the big vessels in my leg.

They happen with the heart-beat, but irregularly. It can often be  physically felt on the skin and seen by a depression. It is intensified by stress and stressful situations. Extended rigorous exercise can cause it. Caffeine doesn't effect the symptoms. It feels like something I read where the blood is backed up and then bursts through, so I tried taking nattokinase for a while, but no help. Also tried pomegranate juice, which helped somewhat.

The symptoms are painless, but very annoying. Once they start acting up, they usually keep going for quite some time, even if I'm not doing much. Lasts from a moment, to a few hours, to as much as continuing for three days. These symptoms will go away  and come back altogether for extended periods of time, weeks. If I hold my hand firmly on the place where the vessel is thumping, sometimes it stop, but it will cause other vessels to start up!

Been happening for 10 years;  I'm 29 now and slightly overweight. My blood pressure has always been normal and my pulse is 55.
I suspect that these are not related to blood vessels, but may instead be related to muscle spasms. I really don't know why you think these are blood vessel related: do you have discoloration, redness or severe deep pain in any limb? From your description it sounds like you don't, which makes me think these aren't related to blood vessels, and instead may be muscle or neuronally related. I am not a specialist in these disorders but you may want to speak to a neurologist because some rare disorders such as ALS or Multiple sclerosis may present this way.
Thanks for your answer.

>> I suspect that these are not related to blood vessels, but may instead be related to muscle spasms.

Right. It's only natural. I know the word spasm is most quickly associated in people's minds with muscles and nerves, but I also know this is not the case. You're just going to have to trust me on this. I given it a lot of thought, and I know the difference. I think there is nothing besides the word "spasms" in my description that, in my opinion, would lead one to this conclusion. I have had nerves and muscles spasms from an overdose of caffeine. They are entirely different (1/3 of a lethal dose! I had apnea, spasms, heart-tension, shivers, sweats, lasted three days.)

>> I really don't know why you think these are blood vessel related:

They are timed when the heart-beat pumps. I can feel the vessels, I can see the vessels, I know what muscles feel like, and these are not muscles. I can feel the blood going through, I can feel the vessel shudder. It feels like a long narrow tube, not a nerve, not a muscle. I have looked at the picture of the blood vessel system, and the vessels act up right where the pictures show them.

>> do you have discoloration, redness or severe deep pain in any limb? From your description it sounds like you don't, which makes me think these aren't related to blood vessels, and instead may be muscle or neuronally related.

Alright. I could be wrong. Nothing like that, it's true. I did have a blood vessel burst in my knee on a jog once, don't know if that's normal.

>> I am not a specialist in these disorders but you may want to speak to a neurologist because some rare disorders such as ALS or Multiple sclerosis may present this way.

I am convinced it would be a waste of time and money for me to speak to a neurologist. My muscles work fine, my nerves work fine. Maybe you could happen to think of another avenue I could pursue. I do not have money to waste, and that is why I'm posting here.

Thank you, however, very much for your attempted help. It is appreciated.