Heart Disease Expert Forum
Borderline left atrial enlargement - echo

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Recently I had an echocardiogram and I was told by my doctor that everything looked normal. However, after seeing the results, I found some abnormalities in the report:
-Procedure: A two dimensional transthoracic echocardiogram with color flow and Doppler was performed. The study quality was technically adequate. The patient was in a tachycardic rhythm during the exam.  
-Left Ventricle: The left ventricle is normal in size, thickness and function. The ejection fraction estimate is >70%. The left ventricle is hyperdynamic. Diastolic function could not be accurately assessed due to tachycardia.  
-Right Ventricle: The right ventricle is normal in size, thickness and function. The right ventricle is hyperdynamic.
-Atria: Borderline left atrial enlargement. The right atrium is normal in size. The interatrial septum is intact with no evidence for an atrial septal defect.
-Mitral Valve: The mitral valve leaflets appear thickened, but open well. There is no mitral regurgitation noted.
-Pulmonic Valve: The pulmonic valve is normal in structure and function. There is mild pulmonic stenosis. There is no pulmonic valvular regurgitation.

Can anyone explain if there is anything that I need to be concerned?

Background: I am 32yrs old male, asian, hypertensive and taking medicines since last 8 years. (diuretic & losartan). During the echo, I was having a high heart rate (100-110) which is unusual for me. Normally my heart rate is 70-80, sometimes even less than 70. The reason for high heart rate could be a bit of alcohol-hangover from the previous day events..
The tachycardia during your echocardiogram led to the results being somewhat suboptimal as a having a heart rate that fast can make it difficult to see everything clearly. The borderline left atrial enlargement commented be a result of a number of things -- including long-standing hypertension, alcohol-induced, mitral valve disease, or even an artifact depending on how the left atrium was measured. However, it does not appear to comment on it being dangerously enlarged that would warrant further treatment.