Heart Disease Expert Forum
Borderline left atrial enlargement - echo
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Borderline left atrial enlargement - echo

Recently I had an echocardiogram and I was told by my doctor that everything looked normal. However, after seeing the results, I found some abnormalities in the report:
-Procedure: A two dimensional transthoracic echocardiogram with color flow and Doppler was performed. The study quality was technically adequate. The patient was in a tachycardic rhythm during the exam.  
-Left Ventricle: The left ventricle is normal in size, thickness and function. The ejection fraction estimate is >70%. The left ventricle is hyperdynamic. Diastolic function could not be accurately assessed due to tachycardia.  
-Right Ventricle: The right ventricle is normal in size, thickness and function. The right ventricle is hyperdynamic.
-Atria: Borderline left atrial enlargement. The right atrium is normal in size. The interatrial septum is intact with no evidence for an atrial septal defect.
-Mitral Valve: The mitral valve leaflets appear thickened, but open well. There is no mitral regurgitation noted.
-Pulmonic Valve: The pulmonic valve is normal in structure and function. There is mild pulmonic stenosis. There is no pulmonic valvular regurgitation.

Can anyone explain if there is anything that I need to be concerned?

Background: I am 32yrs old male, asian, hypertensive and taking medicines since last 8 years. (diuretic & losartan). During the echo, I was having a high heart rate (100-110) which is unusual for me. Normally my heart rate is 70-80, sometimes even less than 70. The reason for high heart rate could be a bit of alcohol-hangover from the previous day events..