Heart Disease Expert Forum
Bradycardia / Heart Problems

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Bradycardia / Heart Problems

I am 25 years old, 5"10, 183 lbs and could definitely be in better shape.

I initially went to the ER feeling tired, disoriented, and weak, and was seen to have a BP in the 190's (can't quite remember the diastolic number).

Since then I returned with similar symptoms and I was found to have a high serum calcium level and am seeing an endocrinologist who seems to think I may have primary hyperthyroidism. Unfortunately I have yet to be diagnosed. But all other tests completed in this work-up have come back normal including a Bone Scan, CT scan of chest, and chest X-Ray.

Since the discovery of my calcium levels I have begun checking my BP regularly with results usually in the 130-140 / 75-85 range. With a few in the 140's and a few in the 120's and lower. what I have noticed however is that I tend to have a bit of a slow heart rate anywhere from 50-65 bpm. Once last week however I recorded a 45 while feeling quite lightheaded and weak with some chest pain. I went back to the ER and they did an ECG and said all was normal and not to worry.

I cant help but feel this is abnormal however as I seem to have numerous other symptoms including, brain fog, some slight numbness and tingling in hands and feet and some chest pain / discomfort. The chest pain is really throwing me for a loop as i cannot tell if it is located in my heart or bones / muscles. But I do get some pain on occasion when I move / flex my chest in certain ways. I find it hard to believe this could be be related to my breast bone, ribs, or lungs, however given the normal CT Scan, Bone Scan and X-Ray.

I know that hypercalcemia can cause heart issues, but my endo. does not think my heart is of any concern? What are my risks and should I seek an appointment with a cardiologist?  
1 Comment
Hey crockju,

Focusing only on the cardiac aspects, since I have similar and so can offer some experience-based opinion:

> ... was seen to have a BP in the 190's ...
> ... I have begun checking my BP regularly with results usually in the 130-140 / 75-85 range. With a few in the 140's...

So, that's an issue, right? The 190 is not good, but it doesn't sound like you've even yet got BP under control. My cardiologist wasn't happy until he got me consistently under 120/80. So I'd say BP is at least one thing to work on.

> I tend to have a bit of a slow heart rate anywhere from 50-65 bpm.
> Once last week however I recorded a 45 while feeling quite lightheaded and
> weak with some chest pain. I went back to the ER and they did an
> ECG and said all was normal and not to worry. I cant help but feel this
> is abnormal ...

Based on those numbers alone, and comparing that with my own situation, I'd agree with the ER folk. My heart rate is rarely above 55, often sits at 45-ish, and has sometimes dropped to 37 when I'm asleep. So you're bradycardiac, but not *that* bradycardiac. However:

> ... I seem to have numerous other symptoms including, brain fog, some
> slight numbness and tingling in hands and feet and some
> chest pain / discomfort.

In the end, symptoms are what matter. One problem is that once you've noticed things, you really start to notice things. Like noticing how many green cars there are after a green car rear-ends you! So *some* of what you're experiencing *may* be that. When I assess my own symptoms, I try to factor that in. But, onto specifics:

Hand tingling: exactly where? Which fingers, which sides? It could be cardiac, or maybe diabetes related, but it's more likely to just be a nerve impingement, like carpal or cubital tunnel. (What's your body position and activity during the day?)

Chest pain: sharp/dull/compressive, focused/distributed? Also, you said:

> I do get some pain on occasion when I move / flex my chest in certain
> ways. I find it hard to believe this could be be related to my breast bone,
> ribs, or lungs,

I *totally* believe it could be those things. Or even something gastric, like acid reflux or even an esophageal ulcer. At 25, and your height and weight, a significant cardiac problem is not totally impossible, but it's highly unlikely. Those pains are *probably* not signs of an impending heart attack.

Based on your age, height, and weight (the last two implying a BMI of about 26.3 which is a little overweight, but not obese), the biggest red flag seems to be your BP, especially that 190 systolic. I think that needs to be explained regardless of what else you get looked at. Other than that (and I can't comment on the calcium), I'd try to not let worry about symptoms make your symptoms worth worrying about. ;-)