Heart Disease Community
Breathlessness
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Breathlessness

In 1999 I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy from unknown cause (very ill) and also asthma (first time)...I had large amount of stress at the time.
In 2004 cardiologist told me heart had recovered 100%=no hypertrophy.

From 1999 to the present I have been breathless when I do any of the following:
1.    walking on incline...even slight one
2.    climbing stairs
3.    after eating --then walking on flat surfaces makes me breathless

My asthma does not improve with albuterol--many PFT tests confirm this.

In 1999 I was at normal weight with same symptoms and at present I am overweight (corticosteroids and lack of exercise) with same symptoms (not as physically ill as I was...but declining.

What is there other than hypertrophy that will cause breathlessness as described above?
EKG = normal.

Your feedback is appreciated.
Milkshake

Related Discussions
214864_tn?1229718839
I would think that asthma is causing your SOB. You said above that "My asthma does not improve with albuterol--many PFT tests confirm this." If your pulmonary function test shows weak lungs, this is likely your problem, don't you think? See a pulmonologist and try a new medicine. My wife takes Advair.

If you took corticosteroids for an extended time, you may have adrenal fatigue. The corticosteroids are the best and the worst of all drugs. They are life savers, but they will almost destroy the immune system. Read the prescribing info for prednisone. It says not to be around sick people. If your doc did not "wean" you off of the corticosteroids, then you could have Addison's disease or adrenal failure. SOB is not listed as a symptom of adrenal fatigue, though.

There are adrenal support treatments, but you should be tested by an endocrinologist before taking any.

Here is a blurb on dyspnea (SOB):

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chronic dyspnea can be caused by asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), bronchitis, emphysema, inflammation of the lungs, pulmonary hypertension, tumors, or disorders of the vocal cords. Disorders of the left side of the heart or inadequate supply of blood to the heart muscle can cause dyspnea. In some cases a tumor in the heart or inflammation of the membrane surrounding the heart may cause dyspnea. Neuromuscular disorders cause dyspnea from progressive deterioration of the patient's chest muscles. They include muscular dystrophy, myasthenia gravis, and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Patients who are severely anemic may develop dyspnea if they exercise vigorously. Hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism may cause shortness of breath, and so may gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Both chronic anxiety disorders, and a low level of physical fitness can also cause episodes of dyspnea. Deformities of the chest or obesity can cause dyspnea by limiting the movement of the chest wall and the ability of the lungs to fill completely.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Top Heart Disease Answerers
63984_tn?1385441539
Blank
Flycaster305
97303, OR
976897_tn?1379171202
Blank
ed34
watford, United Kingdom
Blank
skydnsr
159619_tn?1318997813
Blank
erijon
Salt Lake City, UT
212161_tn?1418434895
Blank
heartfluttersflyawayplz
hoschton, GA
Blank
Occupant
IL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
Start Tracking Now
Blank
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
Blank
Ger57 is alive Comment
1 hr ago
Blank
fessie1080 commented on When Your Cold Is Not...
Dec 19
1236893_tn?1408490528
Blank
Study finds laundry detergent pods,...
Dec 19 by gymdandee
Heart Disease Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979