Heart Disease Expert Forum
Bruce Protocols On Exercise Stress Tests

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Can you explain the difference between the regular Bruce Protocol and the Modified Bruce Protocol in Stress Testing?

I understand that the Modified version is not as demanding in speed.....Is that true, and if so, is the Modified version as accurate as the regular one?

Also, in 2001, at age 41, I reached 102 % of MHR, and 10.1 METS on the regular Bruce,with a negative result, however, I reached it while only 2 minutes into Stage 3.  Does that make for a horrible conditioning response? (I must add that I suffered Anxiety and panic at the time of the test, and my resting heart rate at the time was about 110....the doc even joked that I was giving myself my own stress test before even stepping on the treadmill.)
Thanks-Jerry
jerry,

thanks for the post.

There are a lot of different protocols for the treadmill. The Bruce tends to be very aggressive in the trasition of speeds and stages so some of the other protocols are designed to be a little more gradual in order to reach heart rate before fatigue. The modified bruce adds a warmup period to the standard bruce protocol. There are other protocols such as the Cornell. METS compare the amount of work accomplished and allow a comparison between protocols. The more METS -- the more WORK you did.

METS are predicitve of all cause mortality.  Meaning the longer you go on the treadmill, the better your overall prognosis. I dont have the exact chart handy, but 10.1 METS should be at least average for someone at your age.